Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2011, 10:26 PM   #136
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I use a K-5 and only shoot birds. But i find sometimes i need MF shooting thru the brush. Do you think this will work for me? Most birds are fast moving. and i need fast MF... Also i use the camera daily and i find the current screen is very good at showing when focus is achieved properly, or where you
want it. If not i AF again fast. But MF is very hard for me thru brush and trees. I have yet to get a good MF shot of a bird. I am very interested in this.
Thanks.

Last edited by garyk; 04-23-2011 at 10:32 PM.
04-23-2011, 11:49 PM   #137
Veteran Member

I love my K20...............next post?
04-25-2011, 01:54 AM   #138
Veteran Member

I see a lot of posts which imply that replacement-screen users are checking the accuracy of their split-prisms using the Focus Indication hexagon. I would strongly advise against that! The camera's AF mechanism is pretty hopeless for providing accurate focus confirmation for manual lenses - at least for MOST manual lenses.

In fact, it's the reason that you need a replacement screen in the first place - if focus-confirmation actually worked, you'd just rely on the green hexagon.

The only way of checking the accuracy of the split-prism is to go through the entire process of shooting a focus-chart and examining minutely the result.

I would guess that most replacement screens will be, to some extent, "out" and would benefit from re-shimming (the tolerances are, after all, tiny). This, I reckon, is the biggest drawback with replacement screens...
05-07-2011, 05:51 AM   #139
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by m42man Quote
I see a lot of posts which imply that replacement-screen users are checking the accuracy of their split-prisms using the Focus Indication hexagon. I would strongly advise against that! The camera's AF mechanism is pretty hopeless for providing accurate focus confirmation for manual lenses - at least for MOST manual lenses.

In fact, it's the reason that you need a replacement screen in the first place - if focus-confirmation actually worked, you'd just rely on the green hexagon.

The only way of checking the accuracy of the split-prism is to go through the entire process of shooting a focus-chart and examining minutely the result.

I would guess that most replacement screens will be, to some extent, "out" and would benefit from re-shimming (the tolerances are, after all, tiny). This, I reckon, is the biggest drawback with replacement screens...
I have a Katzeye on my K10D, and had a Chinese screen on my (now stolen) K-7. In neither case does/did the replacement screen give precisely accurate results, which suggests that re-shimming was necessary. I have never got round to it on the K10D. In the old pre-AF days I guess manufacturers took more care with the physical assembly of the MF system, and ensured it was properly callibrated. As the stock screen supplied today doesn't give a totally precise indication anyway, they don't need to bother any more.

If you're lucky with your replacement screen, great. But it's not a magic bullet. YOu may have to consider replacement shims to get the best result.

05-09-2011, 05:33 PM   #140
Inactive Account

Man I ordered one of these on 24th of last month and it still says processing, I hope its not delayed much longer, I know they had a death though...so its understandable, Just need more patience lol.

About the shimming thing...I was not aware of this and at this price I expect to not have to do work....I would not feel right tampering with it, whats the chances I get a perfect one?
12-05-2011, 03:23 PM   #141
Veteran Member

How much of an improvement is the katzeye screen over the jinfinance screen? I own the latter and I although I loved it at first, I dont find it to be good enough any more. It's fine for focusing on non moving subjects, but when it comes to something like people, I find it to be very difficult to focus properly (with something like my Samyang 85mm f1.4)

I've lately been trying to use the off center areas to focus with, because the center part is too annoying when it comes to moving subjects. I front focused 9 of 10 times. I can focus perfectly fine (again, with non moving subjects) using the prisms and the split, but when I use the surrounding area, it gets very very difficult.

Will the katzeye help? Or something entirely different? I'd love to be able to use my manual lenses more.
12-05-2011, 04:45 PM   #142
Veteran Member

To aid in manual focusing, I definitely found the Katzeye to be extremely helpful. However, it did not remedy the weak autofocus of the Pentax system (of the past). I permanently fixed the weak autofocus mechanism by switching to Nikon a few years ago. Now with the K-5, the system has comparable autofocus performance to Nikon. Canon, on the other hand, is now struggling with their aging autofocus system.

12-05-2011, 06:38 PM   #143
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Has the screen affected metering at all?

Katzeye notes issues with spot metering, which they say mainly will not work correctly, depending upon the lens and aperture.I would hate to lose spot metering.

They say that other metering modes should be within factory tolerance.

Never mind, I found the tests a few pages back.

Ray