Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2009, 10:43 PM   #1

K100D randomly beeping

Hey

I own the K100D camera and I enjoy its features. But recently, the camera is randomly beeping as if it is focussing. The lens does not focus but the camera continues to beep. I was speaking to my camera dealer and he believes it may be the firmware requiring upgrading. I have searched the Pentax website and could not find information to do with firmware. Other websites have new firmware for the camera but I do not know whether the information is trustworthy.

Could you please advise me on this?

01-16-2009, 02:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Haven't heard this before.
Sounds erroneous.
Everything else is working fine?
Perhaps just turn the beeping off in the menu?

Firmware can be found here:
Customer Support - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site
01-16-2009, 03:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A direct download link from the official website:

http://www.pentaximaging.com/files/scms_docs/fw_files/k100d_fw/kc_e102w.EXE

PREPARATION
  • You will need a blank, formatted memory card with a capacity of 8MB or higher.
  • You will need your camera\'s USB cable, or a memory card reader.
  • Make sure your batteries are fresh, or that you are using an optional AC adapter to prevent power interruptions during the update process.
  • Make sure your camera currently has firmware version 1.00 or 1.01. You can check your current firmware version by turning the camera on while holding down the MENU button.
FIRMWARE UPDATE INSTRUCTIONS - WINDOWS
  1. Click the Windows link below to download the self-extracting firmware archive file (kc_e102w.EXE). Click SAVE to save the download file to your computer\'s hard drive. Saving it to your desktop, for example, will make it easy to find after the download is complete. Please note: this download file is not the firmware update file itself, but a compressed archive that must be expanded in the following step.
  2. Next, double click the download file to expand it. Once expanded, you will see a readme text file (README.TXT) and the firmware update file itself (FWDC156B.BIN). The readme file contains instructions similar to what you are reading on this page.
  3. You must now copy the firmware update file (FWDC156B.BIN) to your camera\'s memory card. When you connect the camera directly to your computer (or if you use a card reader), the memory card appears as a removable disk drive in the My Computer window. Make sure you are using a blank/formatted memory card, then drag & drop (or copy & paste) the firmware update file (FWDC156B.BIN) from the desktop to your removable disk window, which is the camera\'s memory card. Please note: You must put the firmware update file (FWDC156B.BIN) directly onto the removable disk; it cannot be in any sub-folders. It must be on the top (or root) level of the removable disk.
  4. Now that you have copied the firmware update file (FWDC156B.BIN) to your camera\'s memory card, you are ready to install it. Make sure your camera is turned off and disconnected from the computer. Make sure that the memory card containing the firmware update file is inserted into your camera. Also, make sure you that you have adequate power in your camera. We recommend you use a Pentax AC adapter to perform the firmware update, but if you do not have a Pentax AC adapter, make certain that your batteries have a full charge.
  5. To begin the update, turn your camera on while holding down the MENU button. If you have followed the above instructions precisely, the camera will begin to load the new firmware. You will see the message NOW LOADING then the camera will display the firmware update menu.
  6. Select YES using your camera\'s 4-way controller (the default is NO) then press your camera\'s OK button.
  7. The camera will now update its firmware. This may take a couple of minutes, so be careful to not interrupt the process.
  8. When the update is complete, you will see COMPLETE on your camera\'s LCD screen. Turn the camera off and remove the memory card.
  9. With the memory card removed from the camera, check your new firmware version by turning the camera back on while holding down the MENU button. Before you begin to take pictures again, be sure to format your memory card to erase the firmware update file.

I hope this will fix your problem.
01-16-2009, 03:25 AM   #4
Damn Brit

Firmware won't hurt. Have you tried the obvious, fresh batteries, do a reset etc?

01-16-2009, 03:41 AM   #5

Cleaning the contacts?
01-16-2009, 05:18 AM   #6
Forum Member

I wonder whether a particular combination of settings has caused a "bug" to be exposed in the firmware. It may be worth going into both the Setup and Custom Settings menu and doing a reset to bring the camera back to original factory settings.

Neil
01-16-2009, 12:44 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My camera beeps too when I walk around... it happens when there is a focus lock. Could your beeping be that the camera is focused on something? I noticed my cam was doing that as I was walking from one location to another - I had the focus on manual, but I think the lens was set to around 5 feet so with it around my neck, everytime the lens got a glance of the sidewalk it beeped. I ignored it since I knew why it was doing it. Anyways, just a thought. Hope it's that simple!

01-16-2009, 01:24 PM   #8
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by vagrant10 Quote
My camera beeps too when I walk around... it happens when there is a focus lock. Could your beeping be that the camera is focused on something? I noticed my cam was doing that as I was walking from one location to another - I had the focus on manual, but I think the lens was set to around 5 feet so with it around my neck, everytime the lens got a glance of the sidewalk it beeped. I ignored it since I knew why it was doing it. Anyways, just a thought. Hope it's that simple!
I think you've hit on the answer. I think you can turn the beep off.
01-16-2009, 01:39 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by vagrant10 Quote
I had also thought of that, but figured the user could have figured that out by now.
01-20-2009, 06:20 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks

I will play around with the focus lock. Knowing me it would probey be the focus lock. But if not I will upgrade the firmware.

Thank you

and ftpaddict I had a look at your website. You have some awesome photos.

Last edited by Jordie_; 01-20-2009 at 06:28 AM.