Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2009, 05:26 AM   #1

(Probably) about to buy a K200D/K10D....

Considering buying a Pentax DSLR (K100D/K200D/K10D, probably with kit lens), so far it’s based on specs/reviews only but so far things are looking good….

I have downloaded/read the manuals and reviews but still have a few questions which hopefully you guys may be able to help me with - I guess visiting a shop and trying one out may partly answer these, but a few minutes in a shop may not give the full story.

AF – I don’t need to track Olympic sprinters or cheetahs in the wild in near darkness, but how fast (and quiet) is AF with “screwdriver” lenses. Only baseline I have would be a Nikon D70 with kit lens (have used one previously). Is AF OK with off centre AF points (reviews seem mixed on this). Also, the manuals confuse me on how moving subjects are handled, my understanding is that they are “automatically” tracked, switching AF point if required – am I right?

18-55mm kit lens – OK? Again reviews are mixed, some praising it as one of the better kit lenses, others complain of vignetting/softness (is the Mk2 significantly better?). Same goes for the 50-200mm really. I don’t make massive enlargements, maybe up to A3. Alternatives might be (subject to budget), Pentax 16-45 or Sigma 17-70…..we’ll see.

Thanks for bearing with this rather long post….

01-16-2009, 05:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

AF isn't a strong suit of Pentax, but it's not bad. I like shooting motorsports and although I wish it were quicker, it's decent. Technique will help a lot as well.

The kit lens is a very good lens; the MK2 version is suppose to be better. You should check out the Pentax Photo Gallery and see the quality of images it can produce in good hands. Although I must admit that once you use higher quality lenses it's easy to get sucked into the world of higher quality glass
01-16-2009, 06:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I will second what Toshi said. AF is not a very strong point for Pentax. I found it slow in less than ideal lighting conditions. The kit lens on the other hand is very good. I doubt you can match its IQ with anything else that costs $100. Used lens will be even cheaper because you can get one for about $60.
01-16-2009, 10:51 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DarkM Quote
Considering buying a Pentax DSLR (K100D/K200D/K10D, probably with kit lens), so far it’s based on specs/reviews only but so far things are looking good….

I have downloaded/read the manuals and reviews but still have a few questions which hopefully you guys may be able to help me with - I guess visiting a shop and trying one out may partly answer these, but a few minutes in a shop may not give the full story.

AF – I don’t need to track Olympic sprinters or cheetahs in the wild in near darkness, but how fast (and quiet) is AF with “screwdriver” lenses. Only baseline I have would be a Nikon D70 with kit lens (have used one previously). Is AF OK with off centre AF points (reviews seem mixed on this). Also, the manuals confuse me on how moving subjects are handled, my understanding is that they are “automatically” tracked, switching AF point if required – am I right?

18-55mm kit lens – OK? Again reviews are mixed, some praising it as one of the better kit lenses, others complain of vignetting/softness (is the Mk2 significantly better?). Same goes for the 50-200mm really. I don’t make massive enlargements, maybe up to A3. Alternatives might be (subject to budget), Pentax 16-45 or Sigma 17-70…..we’ll see.

Feel free to go through my amateur gallery which is there only to show what the humble 18-55 & now 55-300 on a K10D is capable of in amateur hands.

Personally I don't think you will find a more cost effective solution compared to any other brand.

D

01-16-2009, 07:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DarkM Quote

The 18-55 MkII lens is quite good - I came from an old Canon film SLR (which had some very good glass - 24mm f2.8, 35-105mm f3.5, extension tubes etc), and this IMHO is very close. It has the bonus of having very close focusing.

Good luck with your choice.....
01-16-2009, 08:55 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We have a K20 & K200. Both are fine cameras.

The K200 is inmho a much under rated camera....you get a lot of bang for your buck.

AF ?, well I have graduated from a Ricoh KR10 to Pentax MZ to *ist DS ; DL & now K20 & K200. I do not shoot for a living, and have had no issues with AF speed. Apparently others are faster, well then , they must be bloody fast, but I'm happy with the complete Pentax package.

Cheers
Grant
01-16-2009, 09:40 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I recently posted videos comparing the noise of the kit mark II lens and DA 17-70 SDM (on youtube channel pentaxlan, with an l instead of i...pentaxian was already taken). The microphone was pretty close to the camera. Also, DA 17-70 SDM is definitely sharper (read the review on this board's reviews section; the reviewer had trouble distinguishing it at 35mm f/5.6 from a Zeiss prime lens)...and definitely much more expensive.

I have a K200D. I won't comment on AF (continuous) tracking since I only do that for fun at home; while shooting animals with the center point AF, I'm happy. Although, the dentist drill noise of 55-300 startles small animals; I'll probably stick to manual focus for that task. BTW, similar to shooting moving targets with a gun, you can try "leading the target," by focusing on an area where you expect the target to be.

As for the difference between K200D and K10D: K10D is larger but has more dedicated buttons and two dials as opposed to one, which could prove very convenient when you're in a hurry. K200D's dummy modes are of use, in case a family member wants to use your gear.