Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2009, 03:45 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Moved to DSLR section.

02-23-2009, 05:06 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Vormulac Quote
so you get a more eyeball-like overall scene, with detail in each area.
I'm very much a purist when it comes to digital tricks but about a month ago I tried the D range function on the K20D.

Conclusion: It works.

I'm strictly an available light shooter and for this kind of shooting it definitely has it's place.

Following is a shot taken with the cat sitting in a south facing window with strong sun light coming in window casting deep shadows.

Anyway the long and short of it is that for this kind of lighting, using the D range function, definitely gives a more accurate, closer to what the eyeball actually sees at the time the shutter is released, tonal range than without it in my opinion.

Last edited by wildman; 03-01-2009 at 01:54 PM.
02-23-2009, 07:06 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
Conclusion: It works.

I'm strictly an available light shooter and for this kind of shooting it definitely has it's place.

Following is a shot taken with the cat sitting in a south facing window with strong sun light coming in window casting deep shadows.

Anyway the long and short of it is that for this kind of lighting, using the D range function, definitely gives a more accurate, closer to what the eyeball actually sees at the time the shutter is released, tonal range than without it in my opinion.
That reflects basically my own experience. I only use RAW, never shoot jpgs. But the D Range feature does work. Whether it is only embedded info which is applied by the RAW converter (LR2, in my case) or whether it is actually applied in camera, does not really count, though I tend to say, it is done in-camera as otherwise the shifting to ISO200 as a minimum would not be necessary.

I find, that I have to be careful, when to use D Range, as I found, when first trying this option, that the mid-tone contrast can get excessively low, with D Range. So low, in fact, that I couldn't bring it back to a reasonably steep curve, without runnig into clipping. So I am very careful, when to use it and more often, not to use it.

Ben