Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2007, 06:12 PM   #1

K10D and aperature ring setting

Hello,

I have had my k10D for a little over a week now. I bought it with a Sigma 24-135 f/2.8-4.5. I came from the Canon 20D and other than the regular inexperience of using a new camera where I wasn't using the right settings (underexposed, out of focus, etc...) I have been happy.

When I first got it, I mounted the 24-135 on the camera and turned it on. This is the first time I have ever had a lens with an aperture ring to set. I got about half way through the initial startup settings and the menu went off. I tried to go back in but it would just flicker. After finaly reading the manual for the lens, I set the aperture ring to A and all was good...

...All was good until last week when I fired up the camera for the WCHA Final Five college hockey games in St. Paul, MN. The top display was flashing "F." I tried to turn the aperture ring and reset it to the "A," but nothing worked. I thought, well I am not going to be able to take any pictures since I cant get it to work. Then I remembered in the menu that you can turn off the aperture setting to allow it to take pictures. I turned it off and it worked fine.

Is there something wrong with my lens, camera, or both? I mean it works fine but why did it work for a little bit but started acting up after a few days where I had to turn that setting off just to get it to work properly? This I know now, before knowing about that setting is the reason why my co-workers M50 f/1.4 didn't work on my camera. I tried it today and it worked.

~ Kinda off topic...I can't remember the name of the lens. But my co-worker has an older screwmount fisheye lens that he says will mount to my K10D by using a screwmount to K-mount adapter. I haven't tried it yet since I don't want to screw up my K10D just yet and he has trouble getting it off his old Pentax film cameras. Should I try it? And what kind of picture would it look like?

03-20-2007, 09:02 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by WildSioux Quote

~ Kinda off topic...I can't remember the name of the lens. But my co-worker has an older screwmount fisheye lens that he says will mount to my K10D by using a screwmount to K-mount adapter. I haven't tried it yet since I don't want to screw up my K10D just yet and he has trouble getting it off his old Pentax film cameras. Should I try it? And what kind of picture would it look like?
That might be the zenitar https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/4497-zenitar-manual.html
03-20-2007, 09:49 PM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by WildSioux Quote

...All was good until last week when I fired up the camera for the WCHA Final Five college hockey games in St. Paul, MN. The top display was flashing "F." I tried to turn the aperture ring and reset it to the "A," but nothing worked. I thought, well I am not going to be able to take any pictures since I cant get it to work. Then I remembered in the menu that you can turn off the aperture setting to allow it to take pictures. I turned it off and it worked fine.

Is there something wrong with my lens, camera, or both? I mean it works fine but why did it work for a little bit but started acting up after a few days where I had to turn that setting off just to get it to work properly?
Chances are that the lens aperture ring was moved from the A setting (possibly when mounting and dismounting it). Some lenses are difficult to get reset to A. You need to NOT hold down the button and move the ring to the smallest f-stop (probably 22 or 32). Then depress the button and rotate the ring fully to the A setting. There is a little contact that pops out to tell the camera that the lens is in the A position. It's possible that the contact got stuck, or the electrical contacts on the camera or lens are dirty or didn't seat properly.

Clean the electrical contacts, check the operation of the aperture ring, and be sure the little contact on the lens is moving as it should. Chances are you can get everything working as it should.