Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2009, 01:18 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Is my k200d faulty or maybe not??? (Shutter release BUTTON related)

I wish this would not have been my 1st post.
So here is the thing.

I have just received my new k200d and have a question to k200d owners.
Why when I half press the shutter release button the click is not pronounced at all?
I mean when I slightly press it,it goes down with virtually no pressure applied,the metering is being made and AF etc.
Then I find some resistance and if I push a bit harder the click is well pronounced and the picture is taken.
IS THIS SLIGHT TOUCH WITHOUT NOTICEABLE CLICK CONSIDERED AS HALF-PRESSED SHUTTER RELEASE BUTTON?
I have not used any pentax cameras before and have not held any but I am really concerned whether my camera is faulty and if it is not HOW LONG SUCH A BUTTON WILL LAST...

Last edited by flamenco; 01-16-2009 at 05:42 PM. Reason: for more clarity of the subject
01-16-2009, 01:22 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Relax, that's the half press You'll get used to it.
And welcome to the forum!
01-16-2009, 01:22 PM   #3
Damn Brit

It's exactly as you guessed, Half Pressed Shutter Button.
You can turn it off in the menu I think and assign autofocus to one of the back buttons.

Welcome to the forum.
01-16-2009, 01:27 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
God that was some quick responses!!!
I am impressed.
Thanks guys.
How about my other question: IS THIS BUTTON PROVEN TO LAST AND NOT GET FLIMSY AFTER LET'S SAY 5000 PICTURES?(considering a non-violent usage)
+Out of curiosity: IS THE SAME TYPE OF SHUTTER RELEASE BUTTON USED ON K20D AND K10D??

01-16-2009, 02:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by flamenco Quote
God that was some quick responses!!!
I am impressed.
Thanks guys.
How about my other question: IS THIS BUTTON PROVEN TO LAST AND NOT GET FLIMSY AFTER LET'S SAY 5000 PICTURES?(considering a non-violent usage)
+Out of curiosity: IS THE SAME TYPE OF SHUTTER RELEASE BUTTON USED ON K20D AND K10D??
I have more than 7000 shots on my K200D and no problem with the shutter button.

The behavior surprised me too initially - barely touching the shutter button makes it start focusing. I thought it was defective at first. But it is designed that way.
01-16-2009, 02:06 PM   #6
Forum Member

To settle your curiosity, it's the same type of shutter on my K20D. =)

Takes some getting used to, very awkward at first... sometimes I don't press it enough and the camera doesn't want to start focusing... >_<
01-16-2009, 04:04 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've taken over 10,000 shots on my K200D with no problem. But FWIW, I agree it felt odd at first - definitely different from the older model Pentax DSLR I had been using previously. But I got used to it in a couple of days.
01-16-2009, 05:41 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Well,I guess it is pretty much confirmed that this is not a fault but a feature,which actually makes sense,because the most "two step" shutter release buttons are harder on the second step (to take the picture),thus more vulnerable to shake.Of course there is shake reduction (SR) but its best to be as stable as possible and let SR to its job to get the cleanest picture.
I think it just should have been documented.
(small editing in thread title for more clarity has been made)

01-16-2009, 09:09 PM   #9
Forum Member

I too thought the same thing and it took a few minutes to get used to, but I've come to really like it.
01-16-2009, 10:29 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm the same as everyone else. On Minolta/Sony DSLR cameras, it's actually a half-press; the button is taller and has more room to travel down while being pressed than on the K200D. On the K200D, you just basically lay your finger on it with pressure and it registers. Neither style is particularly (dis)advantageous, it's just something you need to get used to.

Also just a friendly note, you don't have to shout when you ask questions :P