Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2007, 06:35 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
smc M lens and adjusting shutter speed

hello everyone and thanks ahead of time for answering!

Is there anyway on the K10 to have the adjustment for the shutter speed to be on the rear dial instead of the front?(fully manual lenses where the apeture is controlled by the ring)
I find it a bit hard to have the DOF preview lever over and reach for the front dial at the same time.... back dial adjustment would be a lot better (I hope)

I looked at the settings and could not see how to do it, but I could have missed it

thanks

cheers

randy

03-20-2007, 06:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

yeah you can change around your e-dials via custom functions.

i think version 1.10 gives you more options

just looked

page 4 of 6 in the custom menu

e-dial in P/Sv/Tv/Av modes
03-20-2007, 06:58 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by -=JoN=- Quote
yeah you can change around your e-dials via custom functions.

i think version 1.10 gives you more options

just looked

page 4 of 6 in the custom menu

e-dial in P/Sv/Tv/Av modes
thanks JoN
but which one would be for fully manual mode?

randy
03-20-2007, 08:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
thanks JoN
but which one would be for fully manual mode?

randy
none, you can use Av mode w/ m lenses on the K10

03-20-2007, 08:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Note, av mode will always keep M lenses wide open.
03-21-2007, 03:53 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
yet more M-related questions...

QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
Note, av mode will always keep M lenses wide open.
Just to clarify -- this actually means that in av mode the k10d will expose as if the lens is wide open, right?

I'm struggling with my M lens as well, and although I've seen it mentioned that there are a few threads about all of the correct settings necessary, I've searched and can't seem to find them. I'm pretty sure I'm missing something, and would be grateful if someone who might have been involved in the advice could post a link to the thread.

And if the powers-that-be are listening, it would be a GREAT help for us n00bs if there was a "common tips" thread stickied -- kind of like tips & techniques, but on-topic (not off). Many thanks, all!

[edit: I MUST be doing something wrong because I'm in M mode and the EV Bar doesn't even show up! Help?]

Last edited by amateur6; 03-21-2007 at 03:59 AM.
03-21-2007, 06:06 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
amature

here is what I do in Manual to get the right exposure

first, make sure your depth of field preview is in optical, not digital (in your menu you change this if it needs to be). DOF preview is the lever in front of the shutter button.
once in optical preview, turn it fully over and keep it there. you will now see the indicator you need to line up.
you now either choose which adjustment to make. if you have a newer digital lens, you use the front and back dial to get what you want (shutter and apeture)
If you have a fully manual lens like the ones I picked up (Pentax SMC M lenses) then you choose the apeture you want on the apeture ring, then with the DOF lever still fully over, choose the shutter speed with the dial in front of the shutter button. turn the shutter speed dial until the line lines up with the center of the indicator, which gives you "normal" exposure.

hope this helps, if not post again and we will try again

cheers

randy
03-21-2007, 05:05 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
here is what I do in Manual to get the right exposure

hope this helps, if not post again and we will try again
Ha -- thanks very much! Yes, a definite improvement. I'm still not quite able to get the "tack sharp" images that I was hoping for judging from a few reviews of these lenses that I'd read, but that's a matter for another thread (and probably still a case of user error). Onward!

[edit: BTW, I entirely agree about the finger contortions necessary to hold the DOF preview lever AND the front wheel -- hope someone can help with that!]

03-21-2007, 05:36 PM   #9
Veteran Member

just hit the green button, and it will auto adjust the shutter for you in M mode

easiest way really..just dial in your f/stop and green it. OR you can set shutter and just play w/ the aperture given that you had a setting in mind before hand already and just want to go a little bit either way (kinda like hyper p)
03-21-2007, 05:41 PM   #10

Back in the Paleolithic era, we used a device called a light meter. It was a hand-held device that measured the light and gave you the correct exposure for Zone V.

My first was a Wesson Master III. Amazingly high-tech, for it's time. Now I use a fancy Sekonic with radio slave built in and more features than an atomic power plant. I mostly use it as a flash meter in the studio, but it's nice to have when I use an M or K lens in Manual mode.
03-21-2007, 06:22 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by -=JoN=- Quote
just hit the green button, and it will auto adjust the shutter for you in M mode

easiest way really..just dial in your f/stop and green it. OR you can set shutter and just play w/ the aperture given that you had a setting in mind before hand already and just want to go a little bit either way (kinda like hyper p)
thanks JoN

will this work with fully manual lenses or just automatic lenses put in manual?

thanks again

randy
03-21-2007, 07:21 PM   #12
Veteran Member

thanks JoN

will this work with fully manual lenses or just automatic lenses put in manual?

thanks again

randy
thats what I do when I shoot w/ my M50 and Super Tak screw (I get lazy sometimes and just green it most of the time, too cumbersome to go from 1/500 to 1/45 due to a change in f/stop)