Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2009, 10:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K20d Noise

Makes an interesting noise now when I tilt the body back and forth, it sounds like a circuit board has come loose or the sensor shift mechanism has come loose or something. It didn't make that sound when I first got it.

I did some research on it and only found one or two threads about this. It seems as though it is "normal" when the camera is turned off or the shutter hasn't been pressed yet. But it sounds a bit louder than what I have read, and doesn't give me much confidence with something inside shifting like that.

Is it true this is normal? I searched a few times here but couldn't find anything about this on this phenomena. My first thought is that I need to replace the body (as the other post I found said), but it seems to work normally.

Just wondering why it didn't sound this way at first today now suddenly it shows up. The camera was sitting on my desk all day at home, and I came home and took some shots with it. Next time I used it, I noticed it.

Carl

01-16-2009, 10:40 PM   #2

Carl, the noise is perfectly normal. With the Camera off, there isn't any juice to the magnets that hold and stabilize the sensor, so it moves around.
01-16-2009, 10:53 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've had 2 K10D's and one K20D. All 3 did the same thing and Mile high is correct. it's normal with the floating sensor.
01-16-2009, 11:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys.

So it didn't do it at first for both of you then suddenly kicked in? Sorry to be a worry wort, but I find it odd that suddenly it started doing this and hadn't done it before.

Sounds a bit louder than you'd suspect too right?

I had a spill with the camera on the trail is why I guess I am a bit worried (first time ever I dropped a camera..... so pathetic and embarrassing).

Carl

edit: Btw, it makes the noise when it is on too, but when the SR kicks in it subsides a bit, also sounds like the SR is noisier than before.

Last edited by Rush2112; 01-16-2009 at 11:14 PM. Reason: 2nd thought
01-16-2009, 11:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

You may not have noticed it before, but it was surely there. Every single Pentax DSLR with SR has done this since the introduction of the K100D several years ago. Not everyone notices it at first, but all of the cameras do it. There have been dozens of threads on this over the years.
01-16-2009, 11:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok

Thanks Marc
01-17-2009, 01:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
You may not have noticed it before, but it was surely there. Every single Pentax DSLR with SR has done this since the introduction of the K100D several years ago. Not everyone notices it at first, but all of the cameras do it. There have been dozens of threads on this over the years.
Funny, I didn't notice this until now as well! The things I find out in this forum.

01-20-2009, 09:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I thought it was my knees popping when I bent over to get my camera out of the case

Seriously, I can say to this day I've never heard it, and I've had the K10 for over a year, K20 for a few weeks.
01-25-2009, 08:54 PM   #9
Inactive Account

thanks- thought i had a problem

thanks guys,

i've been noticing this "loose part" noise in my k20d and am relieved it is normal.

i suppose the same is true for the vibration you feel when you turn on the camera.
01-25-2009, 11:12 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjhie Quote
i suppose the same is true for the vibration you feel when you turn on the camera.
That's the dust removal system. You can turn that off via a menu option (I think in the custom menu).
01-26-2009, 02:15 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
Funny, I didn't notice this until now as well! The things I find out in this forum.
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogroast Quote
(snip) Seriously, I can say to this day I've never heard it, and I've had the K10 for over a year, K20 for a few weeks.

Both of you obviously treat your cameras far too gently. Give the darn things a good, sound, thrashing every so often just to shake the cobwebs loose. <-- Only kidding, of course. Don't do that.

stewart