Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2009, 08:59 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
first thoughts on my new K20D -- and a thanks to SRS

After rebate I managed to snag a K20D kit for 490, including delivery from the UK to Ireland. I must thank Chris at SRS for providing good service, which mostly means he actually responded to my emails in a timely fashion. Amazing how many sellers do not do this! Also unlike some competition, SRS does not charge until the item is in stock. Given their commitment to Pentax they get stock a lot more readily than other retailers. A final advantage: as a pro centre they can offer a 2-year warranty.

Two batteries from Hong Kong set me back a whopping 20. These took only 11 days to arrive; they were actually here before the camera. At 1750 mAh they are rated higher than the Pentax-branded equivalent. I bought them from eBay seller "iloveshop!".

So now I'm getting my head around a camera that is a fair bit more complicated than my K100DS. Observations and initial photos will follow.

01-17-2009, 09:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Two shots from my first small set with the K20D. The camera arrived in the afternoon, so by the time I had a battery charged it was dark. Needing light I took these with the Cosina 55mm f/1.2, though in both cases the aperture was f/2. To the second photo I applied a muted colour treatment, since I think this captures the bedroom of a 13-year-old girl the best.

These are at ISO400, which seems to have more noise than my K100DS. This could simply be a matter of the greater number of pixels. In any case the noise is far from objectionable.

talisker

bedside table

01-17-2009, 10:09 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
nice shots... nice warmth to them! you definately have a good eye for photos, so hope to see more from you.

my k20 didn't make it to me this week, so got to endure the weekend before I get mine congrats on your purchase!
01-17-2009, 01:49 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
So now I'm getting my head around a camera that is a fair bit more complicated than my K100DS. Observations and initial photos will follow.
I could not agree with you more. Manual and camera have not left my side since receiving this past Thursday.

01-18-2009, 12:25 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Congrats, Robin!

Yeah, if you zoom in to 100% you'll see more noise, but overall the image should show more detail with the K20D - sometimes startlingly so, sometimes not so much depending on the subject & lighting.

I shoot my K20D in 'bright' top-quality jpeg, fine sharpness +2 and sometimes contrast +1. When shooting red plants, I go down to 'natural'. I almost never shoot RAW anymore with the K20D, unless I'm in really tricky lighting.

01-18-2009, 08:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
I shoot my K20D in 'bright' top-quality jpeg, fine sharpness +2 and sometimes contrast +1. When shooting red plants, I go down to 'natural'. I almost never shoot RAW anymore with the K20D, unless I'm in really tricky lighting.
Wow, interesting. I'd like to know more about this, and the compromises. I am so used to RAW files and using Adobe Converter on the way into Photoshop. Not sure what I'd do without that.
01-18-2009, 09:10 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Wow, interesting. I'd like to know more about this, and the compromises. I am so used to RAW files and using Adobe Converter on the way into Photoshop. Not sure what I'd do without that.

I'd stick with your current workflow if it works for you, but maybe try shooting RAW+Jpeg for a while and compare the RAW results with JPEG-top-quaity-bright setting. I've found that the jpeg engine in the K20D is stellar.
01-18-2009, 04:14 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Same here. Robin - I got my K20D on Christmas and I'm still shooting RAW and processing as I've always done. I haven't tried all the whiz-bang JPEG stuff yet, but I guess I should.

I wasn't planning on "upgrading" from my K10D, but a combination of an Amazon Black Friday deal that converged with my gift list and an almost forgotten gift certificate from years past meant I was only about 330 bucks (US) out of pocket for the new camera. Now I'm really pleased; the camera is far more than I expected. I hope you're enjoying yours as well.

Jer