Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2009, 07:29 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
If the extra magnification isn't to my liking, (and it might well be, really) How's it held in?
I never took a close look to see. I think it might be a press-fit. BTW, you can see the magnification in the pictures I posted. What do you think of it?

01-27-2009, 07:52 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
I never took a close look to see. I think it might be a press-fit. BTW, you can see the magnification in the pictures I posted. What do you think of it?
Not really sure. It could be helpful. It's possible any real deal-killer would be if there's any perceived distortion or any such thing more toward the corners. My eyesight issues are kind of quirky and inconsistent, being mostly a matter of them being prone to fatigue, so clarity might be more at issue than the magnification per se. I imagine it couldn't hurt, as regards focusing near the center, anyway.

I think it would be *very* useful for fine-tuning the focus on my lenses, being sure they're happy at zero, anyway. What I'm figuring is that it's worth a thirty dollar try or so, and if I don't like it for regular shooting, at least I have a bit more eyecup.

(One would wish Pentax or someone would just make an eyepiece with deeper rubber to it, at least. That can make a lot of difference. I often miss the Canon FD eyecups I'm used to, in that way. )

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 01-27-2009 at 08:19 PM.
01-28-2009, 09:24 PM   #33
Forum Member

KPS 1.3x magnifier

I just got my KPS 1.3x magnifiying eyepiece w/ eyecup.

It makes a real difference!!

It's not any dimmer; i can still see all 4 corners, and the viewfinder info. Love it!
01-28-2009, 10:03 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've used it since my K100D and I've found it very useful. I generally don't wear glasses when I take pictures, but on the occasions I've tried leaving my glasses on, I did find it inconvenient.

For the price, though, I think it's steal.

01-30-2009, 10:49 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dugrant153 Quote
I'm actually experimenting with an old film camera: a TOPCON IC-1 Auto (Can you believe it?? And it still works!). The viewfinder on this camera is magnificent!! It is amazingly huge. Feels like I don't have a camera mashed against my face as the view ALMOST feels like I'm just seeing through my own eyes! The K200D and K100D viewfinders are quite slim, providing almost a 'tunnel vision' feel to them in comparison. They're good compared against the competition in the same price range, but ... I dunno. I kinda want to shoot film now just to get that massive viewfinder!!
Amen --- that's the same feeling I get every time I lift my Program Plus to my eye.

I also want to add that I made a much more meaningful upgrade to my viewfinder than the magnifying eyepiece... I bought a K10D. The pentaprism is definitely better than the pentamirror.
02-02-2009, 11:06 AM   #36
Veteran Member

So, I just ordered one of these, thought I'd say thanks to Poke for putting this review up: it actually proved helpful, particularly the pictures.

I took some time to deliberately pay only-half-attention-to-what-I-do as regards nudging my glasses aside and mooshing em between my cheek and the LCD (this is actually about as inelegant as it sounds,) and what I determined was, there's a pretty good chance the magnification won't hurt a thing and should be helpful.

Stay tuned, I guess.
02-02-2009, 05:56 PM   #37
Forum Member

Didn't fit to me. I couldn't see all the corners so I returned it right away. I wear no glasses.

02-24-2009, 12:19 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
FotoPete,

Where did you buy O-ME53 in Toronto?

Dave
02-24-2009, 01:23 PM   #39
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Mine seems about useless also. The magnification isn't enough to make any difference, and certainly not enough to make the loss of viewable area of the viewfinder worth while.
02-24-2009, 01:49 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
The whole assembly comes apart and goes back together very easily. You'll need a jewler's philips head screw driver and you'll want some plastic tweezers or foreceps to handle the glass. There are four screws that hold the two halves of the "chassis" together. Two elements make up the lens, spaced apart by a platic ring. I disassembled mine so I could properly clean a fingerprint off the front element - it's nye-on impossible to get the edges cleaned while assembled because the front element is convex.

FWIW removing the elements out won't alleviate the vignetting or obstruction of the data bar in the view finder. The shape and size of the "aperture" itself is what causes this. If they'd designed it 2-3mm taller the vignetting would probably dissappear completely for most users.

I also think some of the difference in people's experience with the vignetting has to do with their facial structure around the eye. I have a pronounced brow (insert cromagnon or neanderthal jokes) and I have to kind of prop my eyebrow over the top of the eyepiece to get past the vignetting. It's not uncomfortable, but requires conscious thought on my part.

I'm still up in the air about it. It is handy for macro/MF shooting, and I do like the extra relief it provides me since I'm left-eyed. But a KatzEye with OptiBrite will rock your world in MF, and a 2x right-angle finder or even live view is probably more often practical for macro work.

I've been forcing myself to use the O-ME53 for a little over a week now to see if it's something I'll get use to or if I really just don't care for it; right now I'm still leaning towards the "not for me" camp. By the end of next week I'll either choose to keep it or there will be another used but well cared for O-ME53 available in the marketplace.