Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2009, 11:09 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Please Explain the KatzEye System

I am new to the Pentax world but have both a K100D and a K10D with several lenses. I have seen reference in number of posts (frequently from more senior members of the forum) relating to the KatzEye System. Unfortunately the website for the product is not much help. I have a visual impairment that makes me rely mostly on autofocus - will this help me see what I am shooting before I shoot.

01-17-2009, 11:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Katzeye is simply a brand of split focus screen, similar to what you easily would find in older film cameras. If you do a lot of manual focusing, they can be helpful in lining up the lines, almost like crosshairs in the middle of the screen when picture is in focus. I seem to read as may negative reviews as positive reviews about them in the K10D and K20D and I am not sold on the idea of feeling like I need one...which I dont, but some people love them...to each his/her own.

Jason
01-17-2009, 12:08 PM   #3
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You lose spot metering with the KatzEye, that's the only negative, I believe.

Some users report that the screen is of help even when using autofocus because it makes it easier to verify visually that focus is correct.

Personally I only use the KatzEye for manual focus with Takumar lenses, so I have installed the KatzEye on an old *istD reserved for that purpose.
01-17-2009, 12:22 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you for the information - suspect good or bad it is not going to address my issue.

01-17-2009, 12:52 PM   #5
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
If you manually focus a lot, then it's good news as it does assist with the split image and microprisms to see when your there.
01-17-2009, 11:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Do a search in this forum. There was a recent review here showing you what the KatzEye system gives you. It was a great post and wish I had it when I bought it.
01-18-2009, 12:52 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks Innershell

QuoteOriginally posted by innershell Quote
Do a search in this forum. There was a recent review here showing you what the KatzEye system gives you. It was a great post and wish I had it when I bought it.
Thank you for the search tip. I am new to the site and will use that to research lots of topics.