Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2009, 06:51 PM   #31
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by B Grace Quote
Many users recommend the Pentax M42 to K adaptor and I agree. I've encountered problems with the cheap universal adaptor I started with.
I've had no problems with the $12.95 non-Pentax brand adapters I got from Adorama. Is that the source of the adapter you had trouble with?

01-19-2009, 02:11 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My K100D and K20D both have the red focus indicator....which I have turned off because I find it to be an annoyance. I like to think I can tell where the center of my screen is without it, especially with a split-prism focus screen installed.
01-19-2009, 09:58 AM   #33
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
My K100D and K20D both have the red focus indicator....which I have turned off because I find it to be an annoyance. I like to think I can tell where the center of my screen is without it, especially with a split-prism focus screen installed.
For general use that may be true. But I find it helpful in mf macro shots. It may mean the difference of focusing on the ocelli or the clypeus. Currently, of the Taks I have, my favorite is the 50mm f4 Macro Tak.
01-19-2009, 10:00 AM   #34
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
the *ist D has focus indicator to tell you which AF spot is in focus, BUT it does not work on M42 lenses because the lenses do not short out the lens mount pins.

it works fine on Kmounts though
It does work on my K200d with the Takumar 50mm f4 Macro-Tac.

01-19-2009, 11:13 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
I've had no problems with the $12.95 non-Pentax brand adapters I got from Adorama. Is that the source of the adapter you had trouble with?
I purchased mine from B&H so it may or may not be the same adaptor ring. I installed and removed mine maybe twice per week for three years and finally the spring tab became too weak to hold the ring in place when I'd install a lens. The adaptor ring would spin almost all the way around in the camera lens mount and it was a devil to remove. I tried re-setting the arch of the spring tab with no luck. I believe the Pentax adaptor I purchased at three times the price has a spring tab of a much better material plus the diameter of the ring itself is more accurate. I guess I'll know in three years.
01-19-2009, 11:16 AM   #36
Veteran Member

I'm not sure the red dot confirmation should be a factor when you're just thinking about M42 lenses.

Of course for the rest of your stuff, yes, it's great to know where you're focusing, but M42 (and M, K and A) lenses can only use the center spot anyway.

The green hexagon is the only true indicator that you're actually in focus, so the red dot in that case can be misleading.
01-19-2009, 11:52 AM   #37
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
I'm not sure the red dot confirmation should be a factor when you're just thinking about M42 lenses.
This comes down to individual use as well as preferences and this will be ultimately up to the OP to decide.
Of course for the rest of your stuff, yes, it's great to know where you're focusing, but M42 (and M, K and A) lenses can only use the center spot anyway.
I don't quite follow you here. If you don't use the red dot, this is a moot point.
The green hexagon is the only true indicator that you're actually in focus, so the red dot in that case can be misleading.
It is only misleading because many people mistake the red dot as a focus indicator rather than the octagon. I bet that is why the red dot was left out of the K-m/k2000. On a side note, people actually buy adapters tht allow focus confirmation to use our m42 and K-mount lens on EOS.

01-19-2009, 12:06 PM   #38
Forum Member

Original Poster
Seems like a toss-up. Based on the responses in this thread, it just comes down to priorities. Please correct me if I have any mistaken assumptions in my summary as I try to make a decision on which camera to get.

*ist D/DS: Pros are better metering, red focus indicator, lower MP won't expose the shortcomings of legacy lens (although this is debated between two users), lower cost ($175 to $225 used). Cons are there is no shake reduction and lower MP (some say higher is better?).

K2000: Pros are newer camera, shake reduction, reasonable cost ($350 new with kit lens). Cons are no red focus indicator and metering not as good as the *ist D/DS. Same debate regarding the pros/cons for having more MP.

K10D/K20D: Pros are shake reduction, red focus indicator, weather sealed, more professional functions. Cons are metering not as good as the *ist D/DS, and cost ($600 for the K20D, or $300 for an used K10D).

Does that sound about right? At this point, I think I'm narrowing my choices to the *ist DS and K10D. Anymore suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
01-19-2009, 12:26 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
This comes down to individual use as well as preferences and this will be ultimately up to the OP to decide. I don't quite follow you here. If you don't use the red dot, this is a moot point.

It is only misleading because many people mistake the red dot as a focus indicator rather than the octagon. I bet that is why the red dot was left out of the K-m/k2000. On a side note, people actually buy adapters tht allow focus confirmation to use our m42 and K-mount lens on EOS.

I just meant that red dot confirmation isn't as valuable when it only applies to one point (as is the case when you use M42 lenses), since it's not actually an indication that you're in focus.

It does help to show that you're close though. And yes, that's what I meant by "misleading," but once you know, you know.
01-19-2009, 12:39 PM   #40

While most any of the DSLR bodies will work, I like to focus with as much viewfinder/mag. as possible, so I would go with K10D, K20D, Ds, and I think there might be a couple more with the pentaprism VF? I did use a K100D with the magnifying eyepiece for some time and it was OK... so the better your eyes are the more options you'll have

Seems like I recall reading the Ds was better with metering on the older lenses, or was that only for the older K-mounts?
01-19-2009, 01:09 PM   #41
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by greenboy Quote
Seems like a toss-up. Based on the responses in this thread, it just comes down to priorities. Please correct me if I have any mistaken assumptions in my summary as I try to make a decision on which camera to get.

*ist D/DS: Pros are better metering, red focus indicator, lower MP won't expose the shortcomings of legacy lens (although this is debated between two users), lower cost ($175 to $225 used). Cons are there is no shake reduction and lower MP (some say higher is better?).

K2000: Pros are newer camera, shake reduction, reasonable cost ($350 new with kit lens). Cons are no red focus indicator and metering not as good as the *ist D/DS. Same debate regarding the pros/cons for having more MP.

K10D/K20D: Pros are shake reduction, red focus indicator, weather sealed, more professional functions. Cons are metering not as good as the *ist D/DS, and cost ($600 for the K20D, or $300 for an used K10D).

Does that sound about right? At this point, I think I'm narrowing my choices to the *ist DS and K10D. Anymore suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Left out K100D who's red focus indicator works. I think shake reduction is important (well, at least to an old man like me.) It'd be second on my list after K10D I think if it is to be dedicated to Takumars (maybe first depending on price.)

Dave

PS about Higher MP being better; it is true to until one gets diminishing returns. It'll take someone with actual 6-10-15mp experience using Takumars to resolve that point. I have a K100D & use it with Takumars; I don't know if I could do better with higher mp's and hope someone with experience will comment.

Last edited by newarts; 01-19-2009 at 01:18 PM.
01-20-2009, 08:42 AM   #42
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
Left out K100D who's red focus indicator works. I think shake reduction is important (well, at least to an old man like me.) It'd be second on my list after K10D I think if it is to be dedicated to Takumars (maybe first depending on price.)
That is a good point. I originally didn't put the K100D too high on my list because of the lack of a pentaprizm viewfinder and price point. For me, I like to buy things on the lower end of the price point (*ist D/DS) or something on the higher end (K10D). But I actually might end up with the K100D since it seems like I am about to get one from another forum member for a price I can't refuse .
01-20-2009, 01:06 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by greenboy Quote

you left out the most important point of an *istD, TTL flash metering. If you are going to use legacy lenses a lot, you may want to have flash also. A K10D only gives you manual flash (built it) or either manual or "auto" on external units.

An *istD gives you true TTL flash with both the in camera and external flashes that support TTL.

that outweighs all else in my consideration.

also don't forget the ability to dial in exposure compendation in manual mode, something the K10D lacks.
01-21-2009, 10:49 PM   #44
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
you left out the most important point of an *istD, TTL flash metering. If you are going to use legacy lenses a lot, you may want to have flash also. A K10D only gives you manual flash (built it) or either manual or "auto" on external units.

An *istD gives you true TTL flash with both the in camera and external flashes that support TTL.

that outweighs all else in my consideration.

also don't forget the ability to dial in exposure compendation in manual mode, something the K10D lacks.
Thanks, those seem to be very valid points. Especially the exposure compensation in manual mode. I think at this point, I would put the *ist DS on the top of my list.
01-22-2009, 12:41 AM   #45
Pentaxian

Newbie here and i am interested in picking up on of these older SMC-M 50mm lenses for cheap to use with my *istDL. In this thread i see talk of the D and DS models, but will it work with the DL?
thanks.

PS - i am seeing the 50mm f1.7 selling used for about $50-60 - does that sound about right? thanks.