Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2009, 10:09 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Blurry pictures

Just shot pics. w/my K10D kit lens camera @ a soccer game. Many of the pics. turned out blurry even though I had the camera set @ TV 1/500. auto focus. I am wondering if this lens , the 50-200, is inadequate for the action speed that you get @ this type of event. Is there a better lens, without spending a fortune, for this type of sport? TIA for the help.

01-18-2009, 11:03 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Would help if you posted the "blurry pictures", and advised what autofocus mode you used.
01-18-2009, 11:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yes, we need some shots, with EXIF data intact. Please post some so we can do our best to help.
01-18-2009, 12:03 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. Under cdales1 of flikr I have 4 shots as examples,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26426562@N07

01-18-2009, 12:36 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dales,

Looking at the pictures, and the EXIF data, it appears that your shutter speeds were too slow, in the range of 1/100 to 1/200 second. That is too slow for action with a 200mm lens. Even though you said that you set Tv at 1/500 (which would have probably been good), it looks like that is not what really happened. It also looks like the focus might have been off. Perhaps it would be better to try manual mode with manual focus. The lighting will not change enough from shot-to-shot to need automatic metering, and you can probably manually focus well enough using zone-focusing technique.

-Joe-
01-18-2009, 01:50 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
TV locks in shutter speed?

In looking further @ the EXIF data on the full set of pictures, it is apparent that when I preset the TV to 500 it was not locked in @ that speed. Some of the pics. had a capture speed of as low as 1/60th.

I am confused. When the TV is set @ a specific speed isn't it locked in @ that speed? Is there something else that I have to do as a pre-set to make sure that the TV value remains @ the preset?
01-18-2009, 02:13 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dales Quote
I am confused. When the TV is set @ a specific speed isn't it locked in @ that speed?
It appears the shutter speed was slower when you hit the maximum aperture of your lens. It doesn't do any good to say you want a shutter speed of 1/500th of a second if that requires an aperture of f/2.8 and your lens is only capable of f/5.6, as is the case with the DA 50-200 when zoomed out to 200mm. Although I'm surprised it actually changed your shutter speed - I would have expected it simply result in a very underexposed picture, with the shutter speed flashing in the viewfinder to let you know that was going to happen. Maybe there is a custom option to control that?

QuoteQuote:
Is there something else that I have to do as a pre-set to make sure that the TV value remains @ the preset?
You could use M mode to force 1/500" shutter speed and the maximum aperture of your lens. You will of course get seriously underexposed images unless you increase ISO more - you really need a faster lens if you want well-exposed images at faster shutter speeds.
01-18-2009, 02:14 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by dales Quote
I am confused. When the TV is set @ a specific speed isn't it locked in @ that speed? Is there something else that I have to do as a pre-set to make sure that the TV value remains @ the preset?
If you have AUTO EV COMPENSATION turned on in the Custom Settings Menu, the camera will override your chosen settings in order to get a proper exposure. If you are at maximum aperture, that means the shutter speed will be reduced below your chosen setting. If you had that option turned off, you'd get a sharp but underexposed shot.

01-18-2009, 02:49 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
JayBee, that was the problem. Thanks so much all of you for the help. Very much appreciated