Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2009, 10:13 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Selecting Metering Mode Question...

On my K10D when i select between the three metering methods, I do not see the difference in the viewfinder. No matter what mode I choose I see the spot metering all the time. I have tried changing modes from Manual to Program, and tried changing lenses. I am using auto focus lenses, a Pentax18-55 that I purchased with the camera and a Tamron75-300 which is also an auto lens....Am I just missing something easy here. I also made sure that the aperture setting on lens was set to "A".
Thanks,
Lew

01-18-2009, 10:51 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lew,
I have also have a K10D and have never seen any indicator in the viewfinder that shows metering mode (spot vs. center-weighted vs. matrix). You might want to review the manual in regards to this question. In case you got your camera used with no manual, it is available online at:

Customer Support - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site

Steve
01-18-2009, 10:55 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Metering question

Been thru the manual and can't seem to find any resolution....
Maybe someone knows the answer!!!!
Lew
01-18-2009, 10:59 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The K10 does not display metering mode in the viewfinder. It only displays it in the info panel in the LCD display at the rear of the camera.

So how do you know you are getting spot metering all the time ?

01-18-2009, 11:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

You won't see any difference at all in the viewfinder. Something to try might be to find a situation with a lot of contrasting brightness, select each of the three modes, and shoot a picture with each. You should be able to see a slight difference in the overall exposure with each mode. Reviewing the histogram might provide a good visual indicator.
01-18-2009, 11:09 AM   #6
Inactive Account

As you turn the dial the pictogram on the settings corresponds to the metering frames in the viewfinder. Spot, center-weighted and scene averaged. Now if you spot meter for a bright subject AE lock and then use the dof preview setting in the menu you will see a darker image as the camera stops down. There is no magic indicator in the viewfinder for the metering setting. The camera doen't stop down normally until the shutter is released or preview actuated. Pretty straight forward if you can handle the pictograms.
01-18-2009, 12:25 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
The K10 does not display metering mode in the viewfinder. It only displays it in the info panel in the LCD display at the rear of the camera.

So how do you know you are getting spot metering all the time ?
Just by the diagram in the manual that explains what spot metering looks like...
I guess the only way to check is like the method offered, take a few pics with the different settings and examine the output.
01-18-2009, 01:32 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lewg1 Quote
Just by the diagram in the manual that explains what spot metering looks like...
I guess the only way to check is like the method offered, take a few pics with the different settings and examine the output.
Ohhhhh...now I understand! Am I correct in that you expected the IMAGE in the viewfinder to change according to metering mode?

Steve

01-18-2009, 02:11 PM   #9
Site Supporter

There is no visual indication on the viewfinder screen of metering mode. I think you are getting the focus confirmation red rectangle mixed up with metering.

This is another one for Wheatfield's FAQ file. There was another thread about this recently so it seems to catch some off guard.

Jack
01-18-2009, 02:22 PM   #10
Pentaxian

If you think the camera is defective are trying to check whether it is working correctly, sure, I guess you *could* do that. But there's no reason to assume that putting the camera into center-weighted mode wouldn't have exactly that effect. Might as well not trust whether it is *really* generating JPEG or RAW, whether it's *really* increasing contrast when you ask it to, etc.
01-18-2009, 02:43 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Ohhhhh...now I understand! Am I correct in that you expected the IMAGE in the viewfinder to change according to metering mode?

Steve
No, not expecting the image to change but the squares that show up in the viewfinder...
01-18-2009, 03:16 PM   #12
Veteran Member

No, not expecting the image to change but the squares that show up in the viewfinder...
Those squares are etched onto the viewfinder screen. They aren't possible to be changed without changing your viewfinder screen.
01-18-2009, 03:31 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
Those squares are etched onto the viewfinder screen. They aren't possible to be changed without changing your viewfinder screen.
Didn't know that...Thanks for the info.