Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2009, 01:34 PM   #1

I am going to miss TAV mode on the K2000

A few days ago I "won" a K2000 kit on eBay from ProDigital 2000. I am very excited about this camera, which is going to become the centerpiece of my light weight travel kit, along with the pancake primes and the FA 135mm. I have seen a lot of threads back and forth about some of the deficiencies and compromises with this entry level DSLR (no focus point selection, focus point doesn't light up, no capacity for a wired remote, etc.). I can live with these compromises.

What I have not seen anyone mention, which is the one things I am really going to miss from the K10D and K20Ds I have owned is the TAV setting. I really like using this when trying to record action. I find that being able to set a high shutter speed and reasonably small aperture, and let the camera adjust the ISO for correct exposure really helps overcome the much talked about deficiencies with the Pentax auto focus system when trying to capture moving subjects. I know, lots of you can post examples of where the camera does fine capturing moving action, and mine does OK for me sometimes, but when I try and take pictures of my dogs running directly towards the camera using a telephoto even as short as the DA 70mm, most of the pictures a focused 12 to 24 inches behind their faces. TAV really helps me get more keepers.

What I find particularly perplexing is that Pentax decided to include both the SV setting and a dedicated ISO button on the four-way controller. The dedicated ISO button seems to make the SV setting redundant. I think that the TAV setting would have been a much better choice than SV

I suppose that it is too much to hope that this could be addressed through a firmware change that would allow the user to change the function of the SV setting to TAV.

- Jed -

01-18-2009, 02:19 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jedperkins Quote
What I have not seen anyone mention, which is the one things I am really going to miss from the K10D and K20Ds I have owned is the TAV setting. I really like using this when trying to record action. I find that being able to set a high shutter speed and reasonably small aperture, and let the camera adjust the ISO for correct exposure really helps overcome the much talked about deficiencies with the Pentax auto focus system when trying to capture moving subjects. I know, lots of you can post examples of where the camera does fine capturing moving action, and mine does OK for me sometimes, but when I try and take pictures of my dogs running directly towards the camera using a telephoto even as short as the DA 70mm, most of the pictures a focused 12 to 24 inches behind their faces. TAV really helps me get more keepers.
That's got to be pure coincidence - exposure mode has no effect whatsoever on focus. Obviously, when shooting an object running toward you, you are likely to have problems with accurate focus, especially with AF-S as opposed to AF-C. A fast shutter speed helps freeze the action, but you don't need TAv mode to get a fast shutter speed - really, any exposure mode can do that.
01-18-2009, 02:31 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
That's got to be pure coincidence - exposure mode has no effect whatsoever on focus. Obviously, when shooting an object running toward you, you are likely to have problems with accurate focus, especially with AF-S as opposed to AF-C. A fast shutter speed helps freeze the action, but you don't need TAv mode to get a fast shutter speed - really, any exposure mode can do that.
The value in TAv is that I can set the high shutter speed to freeze motion, and the small aperature to increase depth of field, and therefore increase the chances of not backfocusing on objects moving towards the camera to the point where the desired focus point is blurred. AF-C definately helps with the focus accuracy, as does setting auto focus point selection to let the camera choose the focus point. I don't always remember to set both these values properly, so no doubt many of my missed shots can be attributed to user error. I posted this to the "other" forum also, where Roland Mabo suggested using the "action" picture mode combined with Auto ISO. I'll let everyone know how that works.
01-18-2009, 03:42 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jedperkins Quote
The value in TAv is that I can set the high shutter speed to freeze motion, and the small aperature to increase depth of field
OK, but that's perfectly possible to do in any other mode, too - it's not like TAv mode can magically give you some combination of shutter speed, aperture, and ISO that you couldn't get in any other mode. For instance, in Av mode, set the aperture where you want it for DOF reasons, and see what shutter speed it gives you. If it's not fast enough, raise ISO until it is.

Realistically, if you are tring to shoot fast moving objects, I think you are far better off skipping AF entirely, pre-focusing on a spot using MF, then waiting the object to reach that spot.