Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2007, 06:17 AM   #1
Forum Member

Are FA-Limiteds being discontinued or not?

Hi,

Does anyone have any reliable information on this? I've heard they are, and I've heard they aren't - who has a reliable source?

-Matt

03-21-2007, 07:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
On the Phone to Pentax Right Now

QuoteOriginally posted by KL Matt Quote
Hi,

Does anyone have any reliable information on this? I've heard they are, and I've heard they aren't - who has a reliable source?

-Matt
Matt;

I just called on your behalf and the answer is......

Mr. Belmadi just informed me that they are still shown on their lens and price list. It seems that they are still available. He didn't mention discontinuing the line. But then again, I am not privy to what goes on too far behind the scenes.

Ben
03-21-2007, 08:01 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks, Ben,

that's reassuring, although not an official statement by any means. Let's hope I get the money I need to buy them before they are gone!

-Matt

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Matt;

I just called on your behalf and the answer is......

Mr. Belmadi just informed me that they are still shown on their lens and price list. It seems that they are still available. He didn't mention discontinuing the line. But then again, I am not privy to what goes on too far behind the scenes.

Ben
03-21-2007, 12:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

No - not discontinued!!

Hi,

-Matt
Three major stores in the UK are now offering them on their websites boith silver and black - with fairly extended wait times and massive prices. The problem is just demand. They really haven't the capacity to make more than a few thousand a year and they are back ordered for a while. Second hand stocks are non-existant!

A year ago, only CameraKing (an online retailer) offered the LTDs, and only the silvers. The K10D has forced demand through the roof, especially in Japan. Seems they are more popular even than the pancakes. I bought a 43mm LTD on Amazon last year for 315. Now the cheapest I can find in the UK for the 43 is 360 and most are going for 430. All are "out of stock" or "on back order".

Having had a good year so far business wise I am contemplating the 31mm LTD to complete the set, though this is not a rational purchase! However it may well be a good investment as I doubt I will lose much on it if I sell it on later.

03-21-2007, 04:40 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Heh Steve,

wow, then the supply really is that short. I'm going to try to get the remaining two FA limiteds from the distributor here at the prices quoted 6 months ago and see if that works. I don't see them increasing production of those lenses any time soon, either. But I guess if they are still made (by hand?) in Japan, there would be no reason for Pentax to stop production completely if they are profitable and there is no inventory cost involved. They're not going to start busting out tens of thousands of 16-50 zooms from that same facility, are they?

-Matt

QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
Three major stores in the UK are now offering them on their websites boith silver and black - with fairly extended wait times and massive prices. The problem is just demand. They really haven't the capacity to make more than a few thousand a year and they are back ordered for a while. Second hand stocks are non-existant!

A year ago, only CameraKing (an online retailer) offered the LTDs, and only the silvers. The K10D has forced demand through the roof, especially in Japan. Seems they are more popular even than the pancakes. I bought a 43mm LTD on Amazon last year for 315. Now the cheapest I can find in the UK for the 43 is 360 and most are going for 430. All are "out of stock" or "on back order".

Having had a good year so far business wise I am contemplating the 31mm LTD to complete the set, though this is not a rational purchase! However it may well be a good investment as I doubt I will lose much on it if I sell it on later.
03-21-2007, 05:45 PM   #6

Heh Steve,

I don't see them increasing production of those lenses any time soon, either. But I guess if they are still made (by hand?) in Japan, there would be no reason for Pentax to stop production completely if they are profitable and there is no inventory cost involved. They're not going to start busting out tens of thousands of 16-50 zooms from that same facility, are they?

-Matt
The reason they're called Limited is that production is Limited to a smaller number of units. If you want one, get on the waiting list!

I doubt that the 16-45 is produced on the same production line. The Limiteds are amazingly well built, amazingly good, and cost a correspondingly large amount of money.

I have the 77 and the 31. They're fantastic lenses, worth every penny I paid. And that's a lot of pennies!
03-21-2007, 06:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I doubt it

Heh Steve,

wow, then the supply really is that short. I'm going to try to get the remaining two FA limiteds from the distributor here at the prices quoted 6 months ago and see if that works. I don't see them increasing production of those lenses any time soon, either. But I guess if they are still made (by hand?) in Japan, there would be no reason for Pentax to stop production completely if they are profitable and there is no inventory cost involved. They're not going to start busting out tens of thousands of 16-50 zooms from that same facility, are they?

-Matt
New lenses are coming out of their new Vietnamese facility. As long as people are willing to pay the premium for Ltd lenses and Pentax can make them in the old factory at a (decent) profit, I am sure they will continue to do so, but they have a limited capacity so they will always be demand led, hence very expensive and on back order...
03-21-2007, 06:40 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dana G Quote
I have the 77 and the 31. They're fantastic lenses, worth every penny I paid. And that's a lot of pennies!
Still much cheaper than any other known fast primes known to mankind.

31 Ltd is particularly amazing to use. Never regret about this purchase.

I still managed to see Fa ltds in a Taipei street which sell pro camera equipment. Lots of them around ...

03-21-2007, 07:26 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can not answer your question beyond saying apparently I am about to get a belated Christmas & Birthday present that is one of these lens'.

So I am waiting patiently...any day now I'm told. and the suspense is killing me!
Cheers
Grant
03-21-2007, 09:15 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Cool, Grant! Hope they get there before you explode. ;-)