Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2009, 12:15 PM   #31
Pentaxian

I don't know nor care about the more arcane aspects of this question but I do know that the ability to get high quality crops is important to my work and I assume this is primarily a function of the sensor.

What I do know is that the K20D accomplishes crops better than any camera I have ever owned and that's all I need to know.

Last edited by wildman; 01-29-2009 at 12:00 PM.
01-19-2009, 12:37 PM   #32
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
What I do know is that the K20D accomplishes crops better than any camera I have ever owned and that's all I need to know.
Your Honor, we have no further witnesses to call. We rest our case.
01-19-2009, 01:25 PM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
I don't know nor care about the more arcane aspects of this question but I do know that the ability to get high quality crops is important to my work and I assume this is primarily a function of the sensor.

Wow!!! Nice shot....

What lens, aperature, shutter speed. What setting is noise reduction on or is it off, and how much shapening is done...
I'd love to know.

Last edited by betaPhoto; 02-05-2011 at 08:12 PM.
01-19-2009, 01:31 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Hehe, that image says a lot. A photograph is worth a thousand words.

A touch of sharpening is fine. It is like adding a bit of salt to the cooking while everything nature would taste a little bland some times

01-19-2009, 01:35 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Hehe, that image says a lot. A photograph is worth a thousand words.

A touch of sharpening is fine. It is like adding a bit of salt to the cooking while everything nature would taste a little bland some times
No joking, I just started on a week long rice+veggies+fruits+tofu yada diet (mostly for fun) and I miss salt. :-(
01-19-2009, 02:10 PM   #36
Igilligan

Great bird shot Wildman

I keep hearing how the 14.6 out resolves some lenses... But I think it is AF issues instead. My cheap old MF glass is sharp and looks lovely on the K20d.

So I dont think it is the 'sensor vs lenses' that is the limiting factor, but more likely the sample variation of the suxfox AF.

As to the numbers reported by lose control... I think we should stop reading and start shooting.

The pixel size / pixel count issue has been beatin' pretty good on every forum that I frequent and It is mostly agreed that we have gone way past the mp limits on P&S small sensor cams... and are nearing the limits on the cropped size dslr sensors.

My brain hurts...
01-19-2009, 02:28 PM   #37
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
No joking, I just started on a week long rice+veggies+fruits+tofu yada diet (mostly for fun) and I miss salt. :-(
add some chili... chili in a diet is good, and increases your metabolism... other than that, chili rules!
01-19-2009, 02:54 PM   #38
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
I keep hearing how the 14.6 out resolves some lenses... But I think it is AF issues instead. My cheap old MF glass is sharp and looks lovely on the K20d.
I would agree Gus. My Taks look great on the K20D and frankly all my lenses do very well on that body. Like everyone, I'd like a better AF system but I did notice an improvement over the K10D until I sent it in for the service upgrade. I have no complaints and Wildman's incredible bird shots are a testament to the great camera it is (and his skill).

01-19-2009, 03:17 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Stunning birdy. Looks so live!

Just forget to add in my previous statement. What i intended to say is, that current image sensors are far from perfect (take the Bayer mosaic for example. although i dont like foveon either, because of the color filters). Even if someone does not see or need the difference required in their usage, it allows for more exact scene capture and the data can still be useful to recreate more rich and precise lower ("effective"?) resolution image.
You can apply much more steeper (resolvable details visible, unresolvable attenuated below LSB, not somewhere between) and smarter low pass filter in software, than can be physically built in front of sensor. Allowing to have true, pixel level resolution (by combining rgb pixels instead of interpolating, for example). When rendering lower "effective" resolution image, add more "weight" to "important" pixels, than those, smeared on sharp edges, or not having useful information in some other way.
Where one sensor can only resolve muddy surface, other sees feather.. what is left in the final image can be controlled by software and isn't left somewhere in front of the sensor.
Just a taught.

Last edited by ytterbium; 01-19-2009 at 03:24 PM.
01-19-2009, 03:28 PM   #40
Veteran Member

In my opinion it comes down to: "Limited lenses or no Limited lenses... which is better?"
01-19-2009, 03:37 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Shashinki Quote
In my opinion it comes down to: "Limited lenses or no Limited lenses... which is better?"
so your opinion comes down to a question?

hahahahahaha
01-19-2009, 03:42 PM   #42
Veteran Member

To be, or not to be: that is the question

To die, to sleep;
To sleep, perchance to dream...

To annoy, or not to annoy...

Last edited by Shashinki; 01-19-2009 at 03:53 PM.
01-19-2009, 05:27 PM   #43
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
When I went from the K10 to the K20, I did notice that some of my lenses weren't good enough to take full advantage of the high resolution of the K20D sensor. I'm not overly worried about the numbers game, but I did think it interesting that a razor sharp lens on the K10 was slightly soft on the K20.
This statement freaks me out.
01-19-2009, 06:17 PM   #44
Veteran Member

But that statement is a reasonable on too. I feel it that way as well.
01-19-2009, 06:30 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Shashinki Quote
To be, or not to be: that is the question

To die, to sleep;
To sleep, perchance to dream...

To annoy, or not to annoy...
a cliche ridler... how nice!