Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2009, 11:05 PM   #31
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by holdgaj Quote
I have just purchased a K20D with the 16-45mm & an FA 1.4 50mm. I'm unhappy with the IQ of the 16-45, and since this is my first DSLR & I'm a novice I could do with some help from you kind folks in identifying whether I need to send the lens for service. I read the reviews of the lens & the review in Dpreview & was expecting sharp images. I can't get a sharp image to save my life. ...
Did you apply sharpening to the processed raw files? If not then you need to do that. The P/S camera applies a heavy sharpening algorithm by default.

01-24-2009, 12:33 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sodbuster Quote
Wait, you cannot be saying that P&S take better pictures than dSLRs!
There are plenty of conditions where the DSLR has no advantage, and P&S cameras typically apply heavier sharpening and other processing on their images to make them look as pleasing as possible to the average observer right from the camera. So yes, if you don't tweak your camera's settings to make it perform the way *you* want, and don't do post-processing yourself, and you're shooting in good light so the {&S is not at a disadvantage, there may indeed be times when some P&S cameras will produce better pictures by default right from the camera than a DSLR.