Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2007, 09:32 AM   #1

Link AF Point and AE

I am happy owner of a K10D now and trying to learn its functions and behaviour. One thing puzzles me: The K10D has a function called "Link AF Point and AE", which is explained as "Exposure value for multi-segment meter set relative to AF Point pos". What does that really mean? And what is the point? I have
fiddled around with this function ON and OFF without being able to see much difference. Maybe there's something wrong with the camera.? I've actually asked Pentax Scandinavia, but even they could not really explain it. Does anyone use/has experience of this function?

03-21-2007, 09:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forums, Soligor!

A similar thread was started a little while ago. You can follow it here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/4128-k100d-link-lock-ae-l-af.html

Hope it helps!
03-21-2007, 10:05 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Soligor Quote
The K10D has a function called "Link AF Point and AE", which is explained as "Exposure value for multi-segment meter set relative to AF Point pos". What does that really mean? And what is the point?

I'm going to take a stab at it and hope that, if I'm mistaken, someone else will correct me and thereby help us both out.

There is always a focal point for your picture - a point that is "in focus." (Well, you hope there is always such a point.) If you use center-spot focusing, that point is right in the middle of the photo. If you use selective-spot focusing, it's at whichever of the focal points you select. If you use auto focusing, then the camera itself picks the spot to focus on.

Now light metering does not have to be linked to that focal point. You could focus on a child in a corner in the shadows, but want to expose the shot for the brightness of the room - in other words, you want your subject's face to STAY in the shadows.

But a lot of the time, we aren't being so artsy. When I'm shooting birds, I almost always get the bird in the dead center of the photo AND I want to expose on the bird, even if it means overexposing (or underexposing) the background. Hope I'm making sense so far.

Now, if you use center-spot focusing AND you use center-spot metering, well, you've already got the focal point and the exposure linked, or if they're not linked technically, at least they're both looking at the same point in the photo and the effect is the same as being linked, so the setting you're asking about is irrelevant. The Link AF Point and AE setting really matters mainly if you're using selective spot focusing AND multi-segment metering. In that case, if you select a focal spot that's (say) over in the upper left corner of the photo, the camera will base the exposure on that spot, too. If you turn linking OFF, then you could focus on a subject on the right side of the photo, but meter on the light coming from the scene as a whole.

Personally, I think it's a good default to leave this setting ON, and turn it off only if you want to do something special.

Will
03-21-2007, 06:39 PM   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote

...snip...

Personally, I think it's a good default to leave this setting ON, and turn it off only if you want to do something special.
Or you can use the AE-lock button to meter and then pick your focus point.