Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2009, 09:39 AM   #1
Inactive Account

How to best catalogue images?

Hi!

I need a good system for cataloguing images stored on dvds. Is there a quick way to automaticly generate thumbnails that i can keep on my hard drive, with a reference to the disc where they are stored?

cheers
Erik

01-20-2009, 09:55 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

I believe Lightroom will do this for you
01-20-2009, 10:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

+1 with Wheatfield.

3rd party photo processing programs have build in catalog options

every digital photo comes with "exif" data, and these programs pick up on it.

so all you need to do, is keep your RAW (or jpeg) photos in a single folder, and let the program sort them for you.
01-20-2009, 10:00 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I have tried lightroom 1.04 but it was very slow on my computer. Are there other alternatives?

01-20-2009, 10:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snigelben Quote
I have tried lightroom 1.04 but it was very slow on my computer. Are there other alternatives?
upgrade your ram

lightroom is a low load program....
01-20-2009, 10:16 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
upgrade your ram

lightroom is a low load program....
I should upgrade the entire computer, it will probably die on me soon, it smells like burnt plastic when I use it for heavy stuff. Worrying...
01-20-2009, 10:17 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nearly all image library management program does that.
- Lightroom
- Aperture
- Picasa (free)
- Bible 5

etc...

01-20-2009, 10:21 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I should upgrade the entire computer, it will probably die on me soon, it smells like burnt plastic when I use it for heavy stuff. Worrying...
if you dont play video games, then you can buy yourself a very solid machine for under 500 dollars that will last you for a very long time (unless they start making cameras that spit out 500 megabyte tiffs...)

if you build it yourself and install all the programs you can get away with an even cheaper system (for instance, if you re-use your existing case)
01-20-2009, 10:33 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote
Nearly all image library management program does that.
- Lightroom
- Aperture
- Picasa (free)
- Bible 5

etc...
Thanks, maybe I'll check out Picasa.

Gooshin: thanks, building my own cheapo system is probably not a bad idea. But for now I will keep using Old Smelly here. There are so many things i need. Like a 50-135. And a 12-24. And maybe some food...
01-20-2009, 10:59 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
LR is on version 2.2 now. There have been improvements in speed since 1.04.
01-20-2009, 11:14 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I've been testing out Expression Media and have found it to be quite good. The light table function is a gem.
01-20-2009, 11:46 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I've downloaded Picasa, but it seems like it can't handle photos on external drives and dvds while they are not connected. Am I right? Can Expression Media do that? My idea is to be able to browse through thumbnails without having to insert the disc, since that will take ages.
01-20-2009, 12:32 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DVD's better then CD's??

I need a good system for cataloguing images stored on dvds. Is there a quick way to automaticly generate thumbnails that i can keep on my hard drive, with a reference to the disc where they are stored?
Hi Erik,

I think Lightroom can do this for you. I am a new user of LR, and I think it is just great to work with. However, I don't know whether DVD's are very reliable media to store your valuable photographs. If DVD's are as "solid" as CD's then you'd better avoid them. I have some experience on that. But probably DVD's are much more stable, and you know what you're doing? Anybody any experience??
01-20-2009, 12:45 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi Erik,
As others suggested, Picasa is good and free. If you want something sofisticated and very good, I'd recommend IMatch. I've been using it for a few years and it was great. There's also ACDsee. I never used it but there're a lot of good reviews. You can download a trial version of the two and them out.
Good luck.
01-20-2009, 01:02 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I don't really need sofistication, I actually prefer simplicity. Good, on the other hand, would be nice.

Rense: I didn't know there is a difference in reliability between cds and dvds. I have been using dvds since I prefer to keep my original folders together for easier retrieval and cd's are often to small for my shoots. This could prove to be important info, thanks.