Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2009, 11:15 PM   #1
Site Supporter

PEF vs DNG?

Sorry if this has already been discussed. I did a search for "RAW" and "PEF"; oddly enough, it resulted in 0 finds.

I have heard several times now that PEF is simply Pentax's version of a compressed RAW file (or DNG) but I am beginning to question that.

Recently, I attempted to load some PEF's into Autopano Pro, only to find that it is not compatible with the PEF format (it reads them as monochrome). So I ran Pentax Photobrowser and converted the PEF's to DNG format. I was surprised to discover that every DNG file was smaller (by more than 1MB) than its equivalent PEF file.

I have not tested whether or not the K20D will create smaller DNG files but I can confirm that Pentax Photobrowser saves DNG smaller than its PEF.

Any thoughts?

01-21-2009, 12:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The board software generally excludes words with less than 4 letters in searches. I say generally because it's possible for specific words to be included in the board indices.

If you search the site in google, you'll find many hits for DNG vs PEF discussions. You can perform such searches by clicking on "advanced search" and entering a url in the "search within a site or domain" field.
01-21-2009, 04:00 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
I have heard several times now that PEF is simply Pentax's version of a compressed RAW file (or DNG) but I am beginning to question that.
PEF is Pentax's own RAW format. DNG is Adobe's RAW format. The two have nothing to do with each other, except that both are RAW formats. Either can be compressed or not, depending on whether the camera/software chooses to compress the data or not.

Pentax cameras are capable of creating either PEF or DNG. When they create PEF, they compresses; when they create DNG they don't. Although actually, older Pentax cameras don't even compress PEF. Anyhow, the Adobe the DNG converter is perfectly capable of creating DNG starting from either PEF or DNG. The input files can be compressed or not, and the output files can be compressed or not. Same with recent versions of Photobrowser, except I don't think it gives you as man options regardng compression. These programs are indeed somewhat more effective at compressing than the firmware in Pentax cameras - a compressed DNG created by the converter is almost always slightly smaller than the compressed PEF you started with.

QuoteQuote:
Recently, I attempted to load some PEF's into Autopano Pro, only to find that it is not compatible with the PEF format (it reads them as monochrome).
Often, updates are released for programs to handle newer cameras. PEF as a format is basically the same across all Pentax cameras, but software needs to know the specifics of each camera model in order to fully support it. So a program released before the K20D might only support PEF for cameras up to the K10D, unless you download the update to support newer cameras.
01-21-2009, 05:33 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I did some further testing and indeed, the K20 does create a slightly smaller PEF file when compared to DNG. But for the sake of compatibility (and standardization), the ever so slight compression offered by PEG is not worth it (IMHO). I will stick with DNG.

In regards to Autopano... I have sent them some sample PEF files so hopefully they can provide an update. One of the programmers told me that PEF from a isD works. If PEF is a Pentax "standard", then why are there differences that make them incompatible with various problems?

01-21-2009, 05:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Search on this site sucks, if you must search here it is better to use google

pef raw site:www.pentaxforums.com/forums/ - Google Search

This will pull up all notations that include PEF and RAW

BTW PEF is compressed in Pentax camera implementation and DNG is not, so there is a significant difference in the file size, this among other PEF vs. DNG issues have been discussed over and over here.
01-21-2009, 07:22 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
I did some further testing and indeed, the K20 does create a slightly smaller PEF file when compared to DNG.
Your PEF files are only slightly smaller than the camera generated DNG? That can't be right - they should be *much* smaller - around half the size. And they are usually a little *larger* than DNG files created by the Adobe DNG Converter - at least, that's true for other Pentax camera models. But I suppose the PEF might be slightly smaller than the DNG files created by Pentax Photo Browser. I think most people shoot PEF because in camera, it's a *lot* smaller than DNG. And then they convert to DNG after the fact if they want the portability benefits.
01-21-2009, 08:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

asterisk.

In the search function, I entered PEF* and received 243 results.

Jason