Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2007, 06:32 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Couple of *ist DS questions

My camera shipped from WV yesterday, so I should have it tomorrow night, just in time for the weekend.

Just have some preliminary questions:

Firmware- Do you guys suggest I update to the latest, or are there any bugs or warnngs? I downloaded the version 2.02 already. It may already be up to date, but if not...

Memory- What is the biggest card you suggest? I'd heard some older cameras can't handle the big ones (4GB and up?) I was thinking of a 2GB, and saw the thread on the 2GB Transend cards... I will have a 256MB and a 128MB, but that won't do.

File type- Do most of you shoot in RAW, jpeg, or change it up depending on situation. For that matter, aside from the jpeg compression, what's the difference aside from size? If you chane it up, how do you decide which to use?

Programs- I've got photoshop CS2 (basic knowledge, mostly dealing with alpha channel images for video). iPhoto. What do you guys use to handle your images, and to refine them? Is Apple's Aperture any good? What all can you do with these? I've seen some images wth some major effecs on them, and their cool. I might want to play with that. Are there programs (like video ones) with filters and such to add these?

Thanks,

slinky

03-21-2007, 07:12 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mediaslinky Quote
My camera shipped from WV yesterday, so I should have it tomorrow night, just in time for the weekend.

Just have some preliminary questions:

Firmware- Do you guys suggest I update to the latest, or are there any bugs or warnngs? I downloaded the version 2.02 already. It may already be up to date, but if not...

Memory- What is the biggest card you suggest? I'd heard some older cameras can't handle the big ones (4GB and up?) I was thinking of a 2GB, and saw the thread on the 2GB Transend cards... I will have a 256MB and a 128MB, but that won't do.

File type- Do most of you shoot in RAW, jpeg, or change it up depending on situation. For that matter, aside from the jpeg compression, what's the difference aside from size? If you chane it up, how do you decide which to use?

Programs- I've got photoshop CS2 (basic knowledge, mostly dealing with alpha channel images for video). iPhoto. What do you guys use to handle your images, and to refine them? Is Apple's Aperture any good? What all can you do with these? I've seen some images wth some major effecs on them, and their cool. I might want to play with that. Are there programs (like video ones) with filters and such to add these?

Thanks,

slinky
G'day Slinky,
I have had a DS since 2005. I have updated my firm ware once from new, and from memory I could not see any advantage in the later updates, but go to the pentax website and check them out as to what each upgrade actually does and how it may apply to your usage.

I use 1 gig cards beacuse: Cheap to buy, hold 90 odd raw files (suits my usage), and I like the fact that when travelling I can store my SD cards (I have 6) away from my camera gear so if my gear gets knocked off, lost etc I haven't lost all my shots (its called not puting all your eggs in one basket). If I fill them up, I will buy more as required, their not hard to carry.

I shoot in RAW, where as my wife uses jpeg on her DL, although I have noticed the last lot of her shots were RAW also. Personally I see nothing wrong with jpeg, I used it a lot, but RAW does give a wider choice in post processing.

I use Lightroom for conversion and post processing, I used to use Raw Shooter Essentials & Paint Shop Pro 8, but since Adobe updated my RSE with Lightroom, I find I rarely use anything else.

Hope that is of some help to you.

Cheers
Grant
03-21-2007, 07:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I think I'm running 2.01. IIRC the upgrade to 2.02 was for larger memory cards, so I didn't bother.

I've got 2x512M, 2x1G & 1x2G. I was using the 512M mostly, as I have a SD to CD burner for in-the-field burn to CD. I just got the 2G (Transcend 150x).

I shoot mostly raw. I'll shoot Jpegs on occasion, like my daughter's basketball tournament, where I'll be shooting alot, and not wanting to do excessive work.

S/W. I use Bibble lite for Raw conversion, & Photoshop Elements 3. That is sufficient for me.

Enjoy your DS.
03-21-2007, 11:02 PM   #4

I have had my DS since mid 2005, and about to upgrade to the K10D.
I mostly take photos of motorsport and carry 6 512 ultra two cards.
I have shoot in RAW, but mostly in jpegs as its easier to email then onto the magazines at the end of the day.

03-21-2007, 11:55 PM   #5
PDL
Pentaxian

Latest firmware please

I have had my Ds for about 2 years - I used 2 1GB cards, 1 2GB card and 1 4GB card during my last vacation. Having the firmware up to date allowed me to use any of the cards without issue. Last week one of the local big electronics places was selling 4GB cards for 49 USD (didn't pick any up - but what the heck the sale will come around again).
I only shoot RAW with both my Ds and K10D. Both cameras work fine with the cards I have. Don't be afraid of the bigger cards, but be aware that your PC or card reader may not "understand" the larger cards. I just bought a USB adapter that converts any SD card into a thumb drive - it works with my 4GB card also so I am good.
One other thing - I have a portable hard drive (Wolverine Flashpac 7000) that essentially is a card reader - writes directly to a 40GB hard drive. The model that I have is getting pretty cheap and you do not need to lug around your PC/laptop. Yes hard drives can fail - but plugging a SD card into an unknown machine - just gives me the heebageebees.
PDL
03-22-2007, 06:15 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No reason I know of not to go to latest firmware. Owner since start 2005.
03-23-2007, 12:03 AM   #7
PDL
Pentaxian

If you are not using SDHC then no reason to go beyond 2.00. I am at the latest version because I have a 4GB card - I need firmware 2.01 at least to see it and 2.02 provides more support for SDHC.

PDL