Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2009, 07:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member

RAW, Raw, or raw?

Just trying to finally resolve a long-time point of confusion.

As I understand it, the word "raw," refering to an image file format, is not an acronym or title, so is not capitalized in any way unless used within a title (e.g. Adobe Camera Raw) or at the beginning of a sentence.

Is this correct?

stewart

-

Last edited by stewart_photo; 01-22-2009 at 07:59 AM. Reason: clarification
01-22-2009, 08:00 AM   #2
DAZ
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thats what Raw image format - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia says.

DAZ
01-22-2009, 09:19 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
Just trying to finally resolve a long-time point of confusion.

As I understand it, the word "raw," refering to an image file format, is not an acronym or title, so is not capitalized in any way unless used within a title (e.g. Adobe Camera Raw) or at the beginning of a sentence.

Is this correct?

stewart

-
Having a slow day huh?
01-22-2009, 09:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

rAw !

10char

01-22-2009, 12:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I bet the RAW designation rather than Raw (or raw) comes from an old DOS or Windows file extension. DOS extensions were in all capitol letters and this carried over to earlier versions of Windows (which until NT was basically a DOS shell anyway). There's no proof for my conclusion, just conjecture. As you elude to, With common English usage "RAW" would be incorrect unless it's an abbreviation or an acronym.

And yes, it's a slow day for me as well.
01-22-2009, 12:46 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I type it any way I dam well please, usually a function of how long I want to hold down the shift key
01-22-2009, 01:29 PM   #7
Moderator PEG Judges

Guys, I think we all need to get out more, myself included cos I'm sitting here reading this stuff.
01-22-2009, 03:18 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by keithlester Quote
Having a slow day huh?

LOL. Yes, actually. But I also do have a fairly valid reason for posting that. When I wrote that message, I had just received an email a few minutes earlier from a business acquaintance scolding me about the use of all lower case. She's a real stickler for accuracy, but doesn't always seem to know what that is. Don't you just love people like that?

The middle sentence in my message above was the immediate response sent. However, anticipating an argument, doubts crept in afterwards, so I decide to post the same sentence here to verify (since I was already here anyway). If I didn't get an answer fairly quick, and/or she belabored the issue, I would have went out searching for that verification instead - or simply told her to change it any way she saw fit.

She hasn't responded since, so it appears she's either accepted my response or simply given up.

stewart

-

Last edited by stewart_photo; 01-22-2009 at 03:26 PM. Reason: no reason whatsoever
01-22-2009, 03:43 PM   #9

Not for nothin', but I prefer medium rare.
01-22-2009, 06:45 PM   #10
Site Supporter

When half the forum can't spell "aperture", I can't imagine RAW, Raw or raw makes much difference.
01-22-2009, 07:14 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CalendarGuy Quote
Not for nothin', but I prefer medium rare.
If you were a lion, you would like it raw, and would go ROAR!