Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2007, 08:14 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyCG Quote
I find that hard to believe since the SEF-54PZF and SEF-36PZF are just the pentax equivalents rebadeged.
I don't know. Check out this thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/3375-af360fgz-compatible-samsung-gx10.html

and judge for yourself.

03-24-2007, 02:52 AM   #17
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Sorry ... this is one incident and I see nothing there that is conclusive ... too many variables and not a big enough sample size.
Again the Pentax dedicated Metz that I have works with my GX-1S and the hotshoe layout will be the same as the GX10's since they both use the same Samsung flashes. So again I doubt it is hardware ... that leaves either the Firmware in the flash or the firmware in the camera.
Though I did get the symptoms described in that thread once ... it was when the camera was on when I attached the flash and it appeard to get well confused ... The power on sequence must be camera then flash.

However I will admit that it does look less likely that they work together. I might see if I can try a pentax flash on my GX-1S if I can find one in my local Jessops... while not conclusive if it worked it would suggest, at least to me, a specific (to that persons flash and camera) problem rather than a general compatability issue, but again too many variables to be conclusive. To do it properly I'd want to try the flash with a GX10 but since Jessops don't sell GX10's I'd not be able to try that.

Edit :-
OK just re-read the Amateur Photographer review of the GX10 and he states that he tries it with the Pentax flash and battery grip and both worked properly.

Last edited by BarneyCG; 03-24-2007 at 07:21 AM.
06-12-2007, 03:58 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dana G Quote
Perhaps rebadged and slightly modified?
I have a Pentax flash (540FGZ) on my GX10 - no problem

Plus it works in wireless with the new firmware (1.2)
06-12-2007, 06:47 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Here's a review w/ some differences/similarities listed. They state the grip will not fit.....
DCRP Review: Samsung GX-10

06-13-2007, 12:27 AM   #20

As has already been stated the GX10 and K10D are very similar, which is not surprising since the GX10 is a K10D with a few small changes, as follows:

- Different body shell - more conservative than the Pentax
- Image processor is Samsung's
- Control designs are different
- Re-designed menu system

A recent review in Australian ProPhoto also praised the quality of the JPEG's.

The kit lens is German Schneider-Kreuznach 18-55mm.

Not many differences but enough to distinguish the two cameras
06-14-2007, 04:45 PM   #21
Inactive Account

According to Korean forum SSdslr.com, battery grip for Samsung GX-10 digital SLR is ready and should be available by the end of April. Good news for GX-10 owners, present or future, since the Pentax D-BG2 battery grip for K10D doesn’t fit Samsung GX-10 due to slight dimensional differences.
06-14-2007, 06:38 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyCG Quote
I read that article yesterday. I also believe that it was stated that the K10D grip DID work.
There was an article in pentax life that said the pentax grip had to be modified to work. I think if you check samsung has their own grip now
06-14-2007, 08:33 PM   #23
Inactive Account

Don't they both use different Image Processing Engines which could mean slightly different tones, colours and maybe even different jpeg qualities. I believe there are only a few differences between the bodies, eg the top of both cameras look slightly different, grip sensor looks different different but it's only cosmetic. I think it would be interesting to compare jpegs out of both cameras to see how the image processors vary.

06-14-2007, 09:01 PM   #24
Veteran Member

This is about the tenth thread on this subject I've read since I got my K10D and started paying attention, and at this point it seems to me that the question to ask is not "how are they different?" but rather "in what respects are they the same?"

It seems pretty clearly wrong to say that the Samsung is simply a rebranded or rebadged K10D. It's a different body. Maybe only slightly different, but the differences are slight between a Pentax K10D and a Nikon or Canon whatever. I mean, from ten feet away, it's hard to tell one from another. Perhaps the mode dial of the SAmsung has the same modes as the K10D (and no kiddie modes)? And the Samsung has the k-mount. Perhaps the sensor is the same? I suspect that is true.

Will