Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2007, 10:42 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Which lens for K10D?

Hi,

I bought my K10D recently with the kit lens, 18-55mm. I take a lot of photos indoor and in low light so I am looking to get the appropriate lens in the not too distant future.

I want a lens that I can use in low light condition, indoor and mostly for portraits. However, I would also like to be able to use it for group or family. Added bonus would be if I could also use it for macro but am willing to forgo that.

I've read some reviews on lenses and finally, I've compiled a list of possibles (Prices are in AUD).

Naturally, cost is always an issue otherwise I would buy #6 I think! My budget is around AUD500.00

1. SMC FA 50mm f1.4 $341.83
2. SMC DA 40mm f2.8 $451.00
3. SMC FA 35mm f2 AL $???
4. SMC FA 50mm f2.8 Macro $???

5. SMC DA 70mm f2.4 LTD $710.00
6. SMC FA 77mm f1.8 LTD $???
7. SMC FA 31mm f1.8 AL $???

Thanks.

03-21-2007, 10:53 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi,
I think one other factor you might want to consider here is.....what can you actually buy?
I note you are in Australia, & I'm guessing that by your tag you are a Sandgroper (little swan?....) . So before you get your hopes too high I would be checking out availability. The reason I say this is that in Australia Pentax lens' are difficult to get hold of, mainly because the importer also imports Sigma.

I went down this path & ended up with a Sigma 24mm EX DG f1.8, not because I necessarily wanted it, but because I could actually get it within the time frame I had. Its a good lens, no complaints, but my first choice was the Pentax 50mm f1.4.
Cheers
Grant
03-21-2007, 11:08 PM   #3

I purchased Photo Trader recently from a local newsagent, have a look at some of the second hand lens they have for sale. I recently purchased a 50mm A f1.7 lens which I will mostly use indoors and portraits.
03-22-2007, 02:38 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I've got 3 of the lenses on your list.

The 77 is a wonderful lens, but you may find it a bit long for an all purpose indoor low light lens.

The 50 is also very good. Terrific portrait lens on an APS-C camera. But, again it is a bit long for an all purpose lens. You may find it very restricting in smaller rooms.

The 31 is one of the finest lenses in the world. If you've got the budget, it is the one to get. A little short for portraits, but a nice "normal" focal length.

If you don't have the budget, you give up very little with the FA35 f2.0. Just a little bokeh. This lense is very sharp wide open, and has superb rendering qualities. This is the one I'd recommend as an all around low light lens. (For the price of the 31, you could get both the 35, and a 50 and have a nice portrait lens also).

03-22-2007, 04:46 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I knew I've come to the right place but still it is so hard to decide!

50mm A f1.7 - now how did I miss that one? I'd have to check it out later on.

Grant, I got the prices from 2 Aussie websites but of course, I won't know if they are really in stock until I order.

My list above is in the order of affordability. I am very tempted by DA 40mm f2.8 and FA 35mm f2 AL if the latter is within my budget but just don't know which one is best for me.
03-23-2007, 09:59 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone who have replied. It's down to 50mm f1.4 and 35mm f2. I'm hoping to hear from people who have these 2 lenses as to which one they end up using more frequently.
03-24-2007, 01:49 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LittleSwans Quote
Thanks to everyone who have replied. It's down to 50mm f1.4 and 35mm f2. I'm hoping to hear from people who have these 2 lenses as to which one they end up using more frequently.
I have the 35/2 and I do recommend it. Itīs tack sharp and if you need a "normal" prime for your K10D itīs a very good choice.

I do not own the FA 50/1.4, but the A 50/1.4 and itīs has the same optical specīs as the FA version. This is a superb lens but a bit long for overall use and will be a great portrait lens as mentioned above.

There is one issue with these lenses that has an aperture ring though, and that is the known exposure problem in Manual mode and green button metering when using the aperture ring on the K10D. So one should know that itīs necessary to use the A setting on the lens and dial the front and rear wheel in M-mode to get proper exposure at all apertures.

Other than that, all I can say is that both lenses are well worth the money. Itīs really just a matter of what focal length you want. As for myself, the 35/2 is the lens I mostly use of these two.

Happy shooting!

// Mats
03-24-2007, 03:46 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Hi

I have got FA50/1.4 and FA35/2.0. Both lenses are excellent lenses and you can't really go wrong with either. Depends what you going to be shooting, I would say get FA35/2.0 first because it is wider and allow you to take family shots easier (eg fitting more people into the frame) and can be use to take portraits too (half body, full body). FA50/1.4 is good for portrait shots (half body, head and shouder) and low-light. I think FA35 might be sharper wide open than FA50 wide open but I think FA50 has got nicer bokeh.

cheers
Kenny

03-25-2007, 03:47 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks guys! Appreciate that. I think I am sold on the FA 35mm! Now, let's hope I don't have to wait too long for one.
03-25-2007, 04:13 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Good choice. I have both lenses and entirely agree with what Kenny said - the 35 is useful in more situations being a "normal" lens - but I love the bokeh of the 50 - it's my favorite lens.
03-25-2007, 06:00 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Hi Littleswans!

I have a really old K28/3.5 and found it a great lens for indoor use. You can get photos of people across the table with this lens, so I imagine the 35 that everyone is suggesting would be a great choice for stuff like this. I own an M50/1.7. It's also a great indoor lens when you need a touch more reach than the 28 and you are in a small space (say 12x14' room?). Anything above these focal lengths would be too long unless you were looking to get "headshots".
03-25-2007, 02:48 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I tried searching for photos for comparison but most that I found for the 35mm are not portrait shots.

Would one of you guys mind doing a comparison for me using the 50mm f1.4 and 35mm f2?