Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2009, 07:07 PM   #1
Thumper473

Decision time K10D vs K200D Help please!

O.K. right now I own a K-110D so either should be a step up for me right?

Both the K10 and K200 run about the same price wise.

Both 10.2 mp.

I am used to using my K-1000 so a manual camera does not bother me in the least. That being said I have become spoiled by those scene settings on the K110D. the K200 has these settings but the K10 does not.

K10 does have priority settings for aperture and shutter. Manual settings really do not bother me.

Both have SR, weather seals (I think the K10 has more), dust seals and dust removal. Both will work with all of my K mount (bayonet) lenses.

I would like to sell some of my photos but feel my K110D is not up to the task for enlargements. I am leaning towards the K10 but like the scene settings of the K200.

The K20 is out of my price range.

Which one would you pick? The K10 or K200? Perhaps just stick with my K110 and invest the money in glass?

Any thoughts are most appreciated.

Eric, the slightly baffled.

01-22-2009, 07:33 PM   #2
krs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It probably boils down to what you want to do! I went from the K100D to the K10D and did not miss the scene modes at all based on learning to use the shutter or aperture priority, manual, or P-Shift settings.

You will find a number of threads on this topic to either help or baffle you further. Seems like I recall some claiming that the K200D takes better pictures even though both cameras use the same sensor.

Another option to consider (muddy the waters further?) is to go for the K20 - the price keeps coming down!
01-22-2009, 07:39 PM   #3

I was in your position when I went to buy mine.
I chose the K10.

Let me explain why:
The K200 fit nice, but maybe a little small
The K10 has TWO control dials (which are awesome, I do not know how I would have gotten along with the K200 using my old MF lens.)
and I got a better deal on the K10

I thought I would miss the scene dials, and I do, a little, but once you get used to shooting, you wouldn't use the scene dial anyways.

Your decision, either camera is good.

RD
01-22-2009, 11:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I'm gonna go against the flow here. I bought the K200D b/c my local stores were starting to go out of stock, and I wanted a brand new camera in case anything went wrong with it.

I went from a K100D to a K200D and the change was pretty easy as the buttons are pretty much the same layout. The K200D also has that dust sensor cleaner function, dynamic range booster, a funky "HDR" filter option for JPEGS, and uses readily available AA's.

I considered a K10D, but I personally liked the idea of a new camera that was still pretty good. The K200D was a considerable jump for me from the K100D. There are so many new options that I can barely get used to them all!

01-23-2009, 12:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Thumper473 Quote
That being said I have become spoiled by those scene settings on the K110D. the K200 has these settings but the K10 does not.
.............. I am leaning towards the K10 but like the scene settings of the K200.
I was somewhat in similar situation as you although I did not have a k110d. My k200d is the 1st DSLR i've owned. I bought the k200d due to size/weight.

Based on your statements you seem to lean only towards the k200 due to the scene settings. You'll have to decide how well you can live w/o it. I for one hardly use them - mainly full auto, P, or A/M mode. Only scene mode I tend to use is "night" mode to balance flash with ambient light. One other factor to consider is whether a new DSLR will be announced by Pentax. Lots of opinions on when this new DSLR will come out but either case it may make the resale value of a K10 much less than the resale value of the k200. It might be best to wait when this new model or models comes out and make your decision then.
01-23-2009, 12:26 AM   #6
Raylonn

I was in this same dilemma, but I went for the K200D. One of the biggest things people like about the K10 is the two control dials. Well since I started with just one, I don't know what I'm missing, so I don't mind it. I actually don't even know what the other dial would be for. I shoot mainly old MF glass I get off eBay. Great stuff. 5 lenses for $94. Can't beat it.
01-23-2009, 02:47 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had the choice between a K200 and a K10D (two months ago) and opted for the K10D because of the dual dial (although I knew that I would use Av most of the time). It was far more more expensive.

My previous camera was a Minolta X700 (pre autofocus).

01-23-2009, 03:27 AM   #8
Forum Member

I love my K10D.
01-23-2009, 05:01 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Which one would you pick? The K10 or K200?
K10D has two control dials. That alone would be enough for me to go for K10D. If you try camera with those two dials you'll never look back...

Also K10D has external switches/dials/buttons for AF point selection, exposure mode selection, for bracketing.

All of this doesn't make pictures better however makes easier to take those pictures.
01-23-2009, 05:05 AM   #10
Veteran Member

K10D for +1 dial +1 glass pentaprism +1 ergonomics and external controls

-1 for proprietary LI-Ion. I love my AAs.
01-23-2009, 05:30 AM   #11

trade up - not sideways..

k10d for sure...
or even 2nd hand 20d
01-23-2009, 07:39 AM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
K10D for +1 dial +1 glass pentaprism +1 ergonomics and external controls

-1 for proprietary LI-Ion. I love my AAs.
Love my AAs too
01-23-2009, 07:48 AM   #13
Veteran Member

K200D - No Brainer!

If you have to choose between the two, get the K200, which is the debugged version of the K10D electronically, although you would scarify the lithium-ion rechargeable advantages and a bigger viewfinder.

O.K. right now I own a K-110D so either should be a step up for me right?

Both the K10 and K200 run about the same price wise.

Both 10.2 mp.

I am used to using my K-1000 so a manual camera does not bother me in the least. That being said I have become spoiled by those scene settings on the K110D. the K200 has these settings but the K10 does not.

K10 does have priority settings for aperture and shutter. Manual settings really do not bother me.

Both have SR, weather seals (I think the K10 has more), dust seals and dust removal. Both will work with all of my K mount (bayonet) lenses.

I would like to sell some of my photos but feel my K110D is not up to the task for enlargements. I am leaning towards the K10 but like the scene settings of the K200.

The K20 is out of my price range.

Which one would you pick? The K10 or K200? Perhaps just stick with my K110 and invest the money in glass?

Any thoughts are most appreciated.

Eric, the slightly baffled.
01-23-2009, 04:34 PM   #14
Thumper473

Thanks for the great replies! Sounds like the two cameras are pretty near even with a nod for technical improvement going to the K200.

The lack of scene modes on the K10 is not a big deal. Considering that i like to take the camera on hikes, bicycle trips and in the canoe the smaller size of the K200 can be a plus. On the other hand, no pun intended, I have huge hands so the small size can also be a bit bothersome. The thought of the two wheels on the K10 is appealing too.

Shot on film for over 20 years with just my K-1000 so I thought just having auto focus was neat as sliced bread. Nice not to have to take a S.W.A.G. (Scientific Wild Arsed Guess) at the proper f stop/shutter speed of bright subjects against a very dark background and missing the shot. No problem with digital SLR's, just do it over.

Back to the subject at hand. It sounds as though the difference between the two cameras is as much personal preference as anything. I am certain that no matter which one I choose I will be happy with the newer camera. Not knocking the K110 that I have because it is a great camera that will always occupy a special place in my heart like my K-1000.

Think I will head back to the camera shop and do some more hands on looking at the two. I promise not to drool on them this time too. Did you know that the camera shops do not like people drooling on their gear? Imagine that.

Thanks,
Eric, the now less confused.
01-23-2009, 05:37 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Hi,

I moved from P&S to the K200D, but I almost never use the scene modes on it. I don't think you will miss them if you choose to go for the K10D.

QuoteQuote:
The only reason the K10D has more seals than the K200D is because it has more dials and buttons, and thus more potential of entry for water than the K200D. That's not an argument in favor of the K10D

QuoteQuote:
You will be happy with either one.

Personally, I chose the K200D for several reasons.

One is that the K200D is a slightly smaller and lighter camera than the K10D. I have small hands, and though those Pentax DSLRs are great, but their compactness is not their selling point. You have to see what works best for you, and anyone else who might need to handle the camera.

Another key thing that sold me on the K200D last year was readily-available AA battery support, vs the K10D's lithium ion. The K200D paired with Sanyo eneloop AAs is hard to beat in terms of how many shots you can take with it.

Also, last year, the K200D on amazon was cheaper than the K10D, especially in kit form. It seems that's no longer the case now - they are about the same price.