Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2009, 05:31 AM   #46
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
K20D focus

Hi.I wouldnt be so hard on the K20D,i havent done much of it but when ive had subjects coming towards me it seems to do a good job.These are just candid shots JPEGS with subjects coming at me.Lens is the DA 55-300mm.
Thnx Paul
Attachment 26488

Attachment 26489

Attachment 26490

Attachment 26491

Attachment 26492 DA 55-300mm.

Last edited by trumpyman; 02-09-2009 at 06:15 PM.
01-24-2009, 08:49 AM   #47
Veteran Member

At 100% I can see the focus point is just behind the ears, so it's far from perfect. Yes f/7.1 helps but my 100D would not have even fired a shot.

I assume the 20D would do much better than my 100D, well i'd hope so.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Pretty impressive.

Out curiosity, where do you think the focus point was? Pretty much everything from the ball clear back to the clavicle and leading edge of the left front leg appears sharp, but with the muzzle and ball being less so.

Steve

(Me thinks it picked up on the right front paw...)
01-24-2009, 10:18 AM   #48
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
At 100% I can see the focus point is just behind the ears, so it's far from perfect. Yes f/7.1 helps but my 100D would not have even fired a shot.

I assume the 20D would do much better than my 100D, well i'd hope so.
My K10D would have fired in AF-C, but it is anyone's guess what part of your canine buddy would have been in focus (if any).

f/7.1 probably did help. The depth of field was probably on the order of about 10-15". Another thing that might have helped was the abundance of light and the high contrast features of the subject. Full daylight, white snow on on black dog...what could be more ideal?

Still though, I stand by my original comment..."Impressive"!

Steve
01-24-2009, 10:49 AM   #49
Veteran Member

DOF at the subject distance at 70mm and f/7 is about 7 feet. In all honesty that's kind of irrelevant as the subject is barreling towards you so there is nothing to focus on until the snout arrives in the picture giving the camera very little reaction time to sufficiently get the eyes in focus.

Disagree about the contrast as the dog is all black so the cameras struggle to "Grab" her as she is just a black blob.

In any event, I'm sticking to Pentax for now at least and hoping for a more suitable body in the future.

01-24-2009, 11:25 AM   #50
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Ok... that seals it! My camera can not track my daughter walking towards me that well.... ahhhhh haha
Yeah, but keep in mind that shot was f/7 or so - a lot of that dog is in focus because
of a large DOF.

EDIT: posted before reading that everyone else just said basically the same thing. Never mind.

Just ordered the Sigma 28mm /f1.8 to complete my winter indoor kit for the
D80 (Nikon 50 1.8 & Sigma 28 1.8). This spring I may opt for the Nikon 180 f/2.8.

Of course, if the K30D comes out and spanks the D80 in AF speed, my whole little Nikon
experiment may become a footnote. And then I'll trade the entire kit to Gus for that
Helios 44-M.

Last edited by jsherman999; 01-24-2009 at 11:37 AM.
01-24-2009, 11:28 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Borderline irrelevant IMHO. There is nothing there to focus on until the subject SCREAMS into the frame at which point there is the space from her snout to the ears where the camera has to fire.

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Yeah, but keep in mind that shot was f/7 or so - a lot of that dog is in focus because
of a large DOF.

01-24-2009, 11:45 AM   #52
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
Borderline irrelevant IMHO. There is nothing there to focus on until the subject SCREAMS into the frame at which point there is the space from her snout to the ears where the camera has to fire.
And it probably worked exactly like that. If that dog runs at you like that 100 times
in a row and you get focus about that good 80 times, that's good performance, but
with one example, you can't really know. I've nailed focus on someone sprinting
right at me with a MF 135mm lens before at f/8, it's not really that hard at that aperture.

That's a good shot, but a real test is lower-light higher aperture AF speed. Gus's
(and my) indoor f/2.8 moving-toddler shots in tungsten are harder to nail, believe it or not.

Last edited by jsherman999; 01-24-2009 at 11:50 AM.
01-24-2009, 12:00 PM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by joele Quote
*snip*

I am also in love with the Sigma 150mm macro and am still a little annoyed that Sigma still haven't released that in Pentax mount..
Joele, have you thought about the Sigma 180mm macro? That is out in K mount.

NaCl(it is a half stop slower and more expensive tho)H2O

Last edited by NaClH2O; 01-24-2009 at 12:01 PM. Reason: spelling
01-24-2009, 12:20 PM   #54
Veteran Member

If you could afford to do that, that might be a good way to go - the K20D + 77ltd
is a combo that almost cannot be beat by anything when it comes to sheer IQ.

That A900 is the ultimate gadget right now, I can feel your torture

I guess the torture subsided...I just can't part with the Pentax stuff. I like it too much, and I like the company too much. I have always hated Sony. I'd prefer to stick with the underdog that is primarily camera/optics as opposed to consumer borg. Yeah, I know that Hoya owns Pentax now, but as long as they don't start making gaming systems and ship cameras that use memory stick I'm fine
01-24-2009, 12:36 PM   #55
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
I guess the torture subsided...I just can't part with the Pentax stuff. I like it too much, and I like the company too much. I have always hated Sony. I'd prefer to stick with the underdog that is primarily camera/optics as opposed to consumer borg. Yeah, I know that Hoya owns Pentax now, but as long as they don't start making gaming systems and ship cameras that use memory stick I'm fine

Wait - so you withdrew that sale completely?

Welcome back!

Here's something I try to keep in mind when I have these urges to sell everything
and buy X, or go full-frame, or whatever - your $3000 body will probably be worth
2/3 that in 18 months, and 1/3 that in 36 months, & a silly-small amount in 5
years.

Your 77ltd will be worth - who knows - $600 still in 5 years? More?

Glass = good, bodies = good for now.

01-24-2009, 12:36 PM   #56
Veteran Member

and it is in those situations the D80 annihilates my 100D. The AF lamp REALLY helps and Isuspect of the 20D had one we'd see much better performance.

That's a good shot, but a real test is lower-light higher aperture AF speed. Gus's
(and my) indoor f/2.8 moving-toddler shots in tungsten are harder to nail, believe it or not.

01-24-2009, 12:52 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Wait - so you withdrew that sale completely?

Welcome back!

Here's something I try to keep in mind when I have these urges to sell everything
and buy X, or go full-frame, or whatever - your $3000 body will probably be worth
2/3 that in 18 months, and 1/3 that in 36 months, & a silly-small amount in 5
years.

Your 77ltd will be worth - who knows - $600 still in 5 years? More?

Glass = good, bodies = good for now.

I have a buddy who is interested (local) so I pulled the ad, but I'm leaning towards just keeping everything or maybe selling a zoom or two. I'm not so much worried about what the body or whatnot will be worth, but rather the intangibles. While they may not be "rational", the bottom line is that I'm in this to make art, and art is rarely rational.

Since I view photography as a process, the gear, while important, actually has a lot of different impacts on how I shoot. Certainly the iq is a top priority, and going with the Sony system I'd improve that, at least from a technical perspective.

But as I've argued before, there is more to art than numbers and spec. Especially with my style. The feel of the camera and lens are important, as is the vibe of the company. Certainly not overriding parameters, but they do figure in (the feel of the gear more so than the company). And frankly, the K20d with a ltd prime just sends me. It makes me want to pick it up and go shoot. While I appreciate the a900 and Zeiss glass (and especially the final product), I just don't get the same feeling from it. And feelings matter, at least for what I do. If I was a commercial photographer I'd likely have a different gestalt. But I'm not. So I don't.

Maybe I need to get another 31ltd and just put than on the body and go shoot for a week. Then switch to the 77. Then the 58. That's more in line with what I like rather than twisting a zoom around.

Well, at least that's today's rant

obligatory photo (not a dog running at me).

01-24-2009, 02:44 PM   #58
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
I have a buddy who is interested (local) so I pulled the
ad, but I'm leaning towards just keeping everything or maybe selling a zoom or
two. I'm not so much worried about what the body or whatnot will be worth, but
rather the intangibles. While they may not be "rational", the bottom line is that
I'm in this to make art, and art is rarely rational.

Since I view photography as a process, the gear, while important, actually has a
lot of different impacts on how I shoot. Certainly the iq is a top priority, and going
with the Sony system I'd improve that, at least from a technical perspective.

But as I've argued before, there is more to art than numbers and spec. Especially
with my style. The feel of the camera and lens are important, as is the vibe of the
company. Certainly not overriding parameters, but they do figure in (the feel of
the gear more so than the company). And frankly, the K20d with a ltd prime just
sends me. It makes me want to pick it up and go shoot. While I appreciate the
a900 and Zeiss glass (and especially the final product), I just don't get the same
feeling from it. And feelings matter, at least for what I do. If I was a commercial
photographer I'd likely have a different gestalt. But I'm not. So I don't.

Maybe I need to get another 31ltd and just put than on the body and go shoot
for a week. Then switch to the 77. Then the 58. That's more in line with what I
like rather than twisting a zoom around.

Well, at least that's today's rant
Very well stated.

last night I was fooling around with the D80 + 50 1.8, trying out the AF speed,
when I picked up the K20D with Nokton attached and shot at the same targets
stopped down to 1.7 for the heck of it. K20D+Nokton smoked it in two ways -
the tactile pleasure of shooting was much higher, and WB was far more
accurate. Noise at ISO 800 was a bit better with the K20D also.

Plus, Nokton at f/1.7 was far sharper, although some of that may have been
attributable to SR + MF being better than no SR + AF in low light at the same
shutter speeds.

But it just confirmed which system was still my favorite. (Now, I just need
to keep my hands off a D300...)

Obligatory D80 test shots from today:

F/4 - CA is a bit worse on the Nikkor than, say, the F 50 1.7.

f/1.8, ISO 160 crop:

f/1.8, and crop following:

f/2.2 ISO 400, 1/50s:

f/1.8:

01-24-2009, 04:22 PM   #59
Veteran Member

That's some funky bokeh you got there
01-25-2009, 03:24 AM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Joele, have you thought about the Sigma 180mm macro? That is out in K mount.

NaCl(it is a half stop slower and more expensive tho)H2O
Yeah I did think about it and the Tamron 180mm, but as I 'play the field' so to speak I bought it in Nikon mount. The HSM version 150mm is real fast compared to the screw drive 180mm from either Tamron or Sigma...

Its also 5cm shorter.. doesn't sound much, but from 13cm to 18cm long does seem a fair bit when you hold them both..

As for bokeh, none of the 50mm from Nikon (or the FA50) really impress me that much, they're all hard edged when opened up...

Last edited by joele; 01-25-2009 at 03:31 AM.