Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2009, 03:35 AM   #1
Forum Member

Motorcycle show + FA20 +CPL?

I'll be going to the local motorcycle show this weekend. Last year I had nothing but the kit lens & most shots were between 18mm - 25mm. I'm taking my FA20 (and maybe the FA50) this time & am wondering if I should use a circular polarizer? The show is at the same venue as last year, so I'd imagine the lighting would be the same. Looking at those pics, would you use the CPL?

01-23-2009, 07:34 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I use the CPL to make the sky look good. You can't see the sky indoors. So I wouldn't have a great desire to use it.

Usually the lighting at these events is OK, but not great, and you'll probably want to retain the 1-3 stop advantage of not using a CPL. You can use either a faster shutter speed, a lower ISO, or a smaller aperture.

My thought would be to skip the CPL.
01-23-2009, 07:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Assuming it's an indoor show I'd skip the CPL. It'll be of little value amongst all the chrome anyway.
01-23-2009, 01:02 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you were shooting cars, I would say take it due to the reflections in paint, glass, etc. Motorcycles have less of both

I'd put it in its plastic case and put it in my back pocket, personally...just in case.

Edit: I did an outdoor car show with a 28mm on a crop sensor. The 20mm would be perfect.

01-23-2009, 02:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
If you were shooting cars, I would say take it due to the reflections in paint, glass, etc. Motorcycles have less of both

I'd put it in its plastic case and put it in my back pocket, personally...just in case.

Edit: I did an outdoor car show with a 28mm on a crop sensor. The 20mm would be perfect.
For glass, yes. For paint.. not so much. Especially if the paint is metallic. Metal is CPL's Kryptonite.
01-23-2009, 05:03 PM   #6
Forum Member

I went to (quite possibly the same) motorcycle show last weekend here in Edmonton. I'm not a motorcycle guy, but I was interested in seeing how autofocus lens + shiny things + flourescent lights worked out.

Using the 21mm limited worked pretty well, but there was a bit of dodgy exposure on some of the highlights...