Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2009, 10:06 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Just got my K200D

I'm new to this forum and SLR's also, got my K200D today and love it. It's very dark at this time of the year here in Finland, and I was wondering what setting I should use when i don't use the flash. I don't really know too much about the stuff and right now i'm using something like 60-200 shutter speed, aperture 3.5-5.6, ISO 1600 and exposure (I think that's what it is :S) +2.0. But all the pictures turn out really yellow. My white balance is set to natural and i use the mode where you can change the shutter speed and exposure with the command dial. Any suggestions?

Benjamin

01-23-2009, 10:43 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi Benjamin,
First thing I'd recommend is to read the manual for k200d. It'll answer a lot of your questions.
Just to answer a few of them: yellow cast is due to the lighting in the room or wherever you were shooting; +2 is most probably is exposure compensation; 'Natural' is image tone setting.
Good luck,
01-23-2009, 11:02 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks. Already halfway through the manual.
01-23-2009, 05:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum and Pentax fraternity.

As to your exposure, that will be a function of what you shoot.

If its a static/non-moving subject, then the lower ISOs (100-400) are better with a tripod to support the camera, as you'll get less noise in the image.

You'll also find that long exposures with multipoint metering will tend to have long exposures that do this. Spot meter on the subject to get the correct exposure and it should adjust the exposure.

You can also get the WB corrected by taking a test shot and using the WB custom function - that should get rid of the yellow cast.

The other thing to do is shoot RAW, then adjust the WB in the application you use (I use Adobe Camera Raw, but I think the suppled SilkyPix does it too)

The other thing to do is post your images in the Post your Photos section (dont' forget to leave the Exif info intact) - its easier to comment if people can see.

Good luck!

01-23-2009, 05:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

To be able to fix white balance issues later, shoot in RAW, like the other poster said. Try setting manual white balance by shooting white paper--for example, white inkjet photo paper--placing it in your target area. To avoid blue snow, point at snow when setting manual white balance. EDIT: Also, with snowy photos, you'll probably want to try compensating EV+2.0 or more.

Last edited by asdf; 01-23-2009 at 08:25 PM.
01-24-2009, 02:38 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks guys. But right now I'm worried about another thing, there's some dust or something on my sensor and I can't get it off. I have no idea how it even got there and it's really pissing me off. I don't have anything like Giottos Rocket blower, any ideas how to get it off?
01-24-2009, 03:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by matlock Quote
Thanks guys. But right now I'm worried about another thing, there's some dust or something on my sensor and I can't get it off. I have no idea how it even got there and it's really pissing me off. I don't have anything like Giottos Rocket blower, any ideas how to get it off?
A few things to check first.
  • Is the dust visible on your image?
  • If so, then make sure its dust on the sensor using the Dust Alert function in the Set-Up menu. Its very important to ensure the surface you shoot has NO shadows etc on it - I use the ceiling. It must be a plain untextured surface as the dust image is a high contrast image of what you shoot.
  • If the Dust Alert function is positive, then try the Dust Removal function in the Set-Up menu a couple of times. Most reports say that works fine.

If that fails, you'll need a blower. I've used a plain old fashioned camel hair brush/air bulb blower (with the camel hair brush removed) with success. (I'm sure the fancy types work well, but this worked for me).
  • Take off the lens (camera must be off!)
  • Turn on the camera and choose Sensor Cleaning from the Set-up menu - that will lock up the mirror when activated.
  • I make sure the camera is pointing down (gravity is a wonderful thing for dust) and blow up at the sensor with the air bulb. Turn off the camera to finish the operation.
  • Replace the lens (camera still pointing down) and recheck.

It works for me
01-24-2009, 05:00 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Alright, thanks for all the help, guess I have to buy the blower. This is how it looks like, it's the first time i upload something so let's see if it works.

EDIT: Here's the dust alert version:

EDIT: I noticed that when you look at pictures with the camera, and you haven't zoomed in, it looks like the pictures are very noisy. Is that normal?

Last edited by matlock; 01-24-2009 at 08:36 AM.
01-24-2009, 12:19 PM   #9
Pentaxian

EDIT: I noticed that when you look at pictures with the camera, and you haven't zoomed in, it looks like the pictures are very noisy. Is that normal?
It's a pretty low-res screen, and the resizing algorithm doesn't seem to be the greatest. So yes, it's normal for pictures to not look as good as they would on a computer monitor.

BTW, regarding dust - try running the Dust Removal thing a bunch of times in a row. I find that actually does care of dust some of the time when a single run doesn't. Also, it usually only shows up at small apertures - f/11 and beyond. But owning a DSLR without owning a blower is like owning a bicycle without owning a tire pump.
01-24-2009, 12:26 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
But owning a DSLR without owning a blower is like owning a bicycle without owning a tire pump.
That's why I just ordered the Giottos Rocket blower.

But thank's for the help, I'll try the dust removal a couple times.
01-24-2009, 04:58 PM   #11
Forum Member

One thing to be careful of, that isn't mentioned in the manual. Don't blow too hard on the mirror. First time I blew mine out I got a little carried away and ended up blowing a bunch of fine dust(and a peice of fuzz) up on top of my focus screen. Since the mirror angles up towards the focus screen I wasn't too shocked by this, but I would have thought there'd be some sort of dust seal. I managed to figure out how to remove it, but I didn't feel good about it. It's very "sticky" and hard to clean, so I ended up still having some dust on it, which I couldn't see till it was back together.

Since I've been changing lenses constantly since the day I got it I'll probably take it in for a cleaning soon anyway, but it is still annoying.
02-07-2009, 11:27 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Got the blower some days ago and the dust is now gone!
02-09-2009, 07:27 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I still have two small black dots when i look through the VF. They're not in the pictures and they don't really annoy me, but where could the problem be? I've cleaned about everything that's glass on the camera but it just keeps being there.

Any suggestions?
02-09-2009, 12:11 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I still have two small black dots when i look through the VF. They're not in the pictures and they don't really annoy me, but where could the problem be? I've cleaned about everything that's glass on the camera but it just keeps being there.
They are probably sitting on the focus screen, which sits right above the mirror. If you're lucky, they are on the bottom of the screen, meaning you an blow them off easily. But it's just as likely they are on the top of the screen, meaning you'd have to remove the screen to clean it. The screen is quite delicate, and the K200D was not designed to allow easy focus removal like some of the other Pentax DSLR's. So I don't really recommend it. But if you want to try, there is a latch toward the front of the screen; a trapdoor containing the screen will lower.