Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2009, 04:02 AM   #1

problems about K20d

what are the most commons problems on a k20d?

k20d is still a "young product"?

i see in pentax website: firmware is only 1.01 version at the moment.

no problems?

thanks

01-24-2009, 04:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There is no such thing as bugs. Only undocumented features.
01-24-2009, 05:43 AM   #3

Location: N/E Victoria, Australia, on the mighty Murray River.
Photos: Albums
I got my k20d at the end of July, have not had a problem with it.
It still has standard firmware because I see no use in changing it to 1.01.
The 1.01 was only meant to get rid of a hot pixel problem when using 2 sec self timer, may have done other stuff but I don't know. I use the self timer but shoot in RAW dng mode and
have not had a hot pixel problem.
01-24-2009, 06:51 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Haven't had any problems yet. Best advice I can give you: Read the owners manual 5 times, fully, before even touching the camera. It has so many features that unless you go through the manual throughly, the learning curve is steep and slow as my old beloved PZ1P.

01-24-2009, 06:36 PM   #5

No problems from me either. Had my K20D since Christmas (upgraded from a K100D) and the body has performed brilliantly.

Yes, the features and options can be a bit intimidating, but I am slowly getting up to speed. The Magic Lantern guide is my constant companion now, and a routinely get the camera out just to try out new features.

Its a wonderful camera.
01-24-2009, 07:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I also recommend the Magic Lantern Guide. I got my K20D about a week before Christmas, and I am still learning the camera. There is just so much available on the camera.
01-25-2009, 03:37 AM   #7

Original Poster
very thanks :-)
01-25-2009, 05:10 AM   #8
Forum Member

the only flaws I came across while checking it a short time are white balance that somestimes seem to be inaccurate (still a thning I would need to sort out more precisely) and banding at 3200 and 6400 ISO combined with a strange yellow image center tint, that appears under still uncertain conditions and spoils one or the other photo at high ISO. It's best visible at 6400 but still to be seen at 1600. (See my thread in this forum on yellow tint). As I saw a different sample of the same model performing better and had no such experiences with my K100Ds, I regard this a problem Pentax will overcome some day, but I guess it will take time. Yet it still maybe it's a slight defect on a certain batch of sensors. However, else the camera is just great and I will own it nevertheless. Forget all differential studies on D300 etc., the resolution and high ISO performance of which may be a bit better - when it comes to printing images, you will see the Pentax did a really great job.

enjoy it, kai

01-25-2009, 07:36 AM   #9

Original Poster
thanks again!
01-25-2009, 11:24 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gemini Quote
That means that the software was designed and implemented (written) properly (no need for functionality upgrades and hardly any bug fixes required).
01-26-2009, 02:02 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gemini Quote
(snip) k20d is still a "young product"?

no problems?

Do remember much of the K20D is second generation technology borrowed from the K10D. Thus, some of the issues were addressed with the K10D, with some of the rest resolved during development of the K20D. No camera (by any manufacturer) is 100% error free, but the K20D is pretty close to that at this point.

Instead, most of the current complaints focus on either the extremes of the technology (high ISO performance, long exposures, speed, etc) or differences in philosophy regarding camera design (want this added, want this item to work that way, etc).

stewart
01-26-2009, 08:06 AM   #12

Hi

I got my K20D in the UK in early Dec. I live in Spain but the prices here are ludicrous, so it made sense to get it in the UK and then fly back and get it. When I got back to Spain I discovered that the lens was a dud - the 18-55 II kit lens. So, seeing as the boxes were still in the UK, I had my visiting mother take it back to the UK. She then posted the lens back to the supplier who was supposed to exchange it. They couldn't as they were out of stock, so I am still without my own lens. I have borrowed a Tamron and also a Pentax 50mm M F1.7 (which is stunning BTW). Even more annoying is that as soon as I looked at my first shots I realised that the sensor had a large piece of dirt on it - right from photo number 1. This must have been on it since it left the factory as the box etc. was brand new and I mounted the lens immediately upon opening everything. I tried everywhere in Spain to get a blower but couldn't, so I bought a rocket blower on Ebay and picked it up on my recent trip to the UK. Despite all attempts, I cannot get the dot off the sensor - and of course the box is in the UK! The muck must be the dreaded 'welded on dust' as I have puffed the rocket blower so hard to no avail. I guess I will get on to Pentax UK and see if Pentax Spain will clean it - but I know they'll claim that I got it dirty!
Other than that I love it. It seems to underexpose hopelessly but I am used to compensating. With the old 50mm F1.7 it seems to overexpose!
It seems beautifully made - apart from my obvious gripe about the faulty lens and dirty sensor.
01-26-2009, 12:30 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kasv Quote
the only flaws I came across while checking it a short time are white balance that somestimes seem to be inaccurate (still a thning I would need to sort out more precisely)
I think what you'll find is this is a feature, not a bug. Automatic WB involves guesswork - there is absolutely no way to tell the difference between a white piece of paper shot in orange light or an orange piece of paper shot in white light. So the camera tries to play it safe in situations where it sees strong colors. If it tried to totally erase the orange color cast you get from typical indoor lighting, you'd also end up with washed-out color in objects that really *are* orange when shooting in more neutral light. All cameras have to choose some sort of compromise, and Pentax has made theirs.
01-26-2009, 12:40 PM   #14
Inactive Account

one little thing

Hi,

I needed to set my focus on the k20d. It came just a little out of focus for the auto setting. Also I got a new focus screen (display in thirds). Works great. Little tough to install the metal bracket holder bends very easily.

Papachuck
01-26-2009, 02:29 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Marc has a good point about the K20D building on the K10D. I've had both, and that's what the K20D feels like to me, a "version 2.0" of the K10D. BTW, I bought mine shortly after it came out last year, and have thoroughly enjoyed it. I haven't regretted buying it even once, and haven't had any problems with it at all. I'd say buy with confidence.