Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2006, 08:48 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Rodney Dangerfield?

Like may here, I am one of those on the edge of my chair waiting for the official release of the 10d to see if the last couple of missing pieces of the puzzle indeed complete what looks to be one of the best in it's DSLR class.
I can't seem to avoid taking an equally hard look at the Nikon D80 because of the tremendous support for accessories, lenses, etc.
So ... here's the rub, (given the PQ and noise are what they should be on the 10d), should I go with a camera that truly does redifine $1000 DSLR's based on it's own merrit or go with a proven intentity like the D80 that has more lenses and accessories than Carter has pills?
I have written to Tokina, Sigma and Tamron to see if their marketing strategy was going to change when it came to supporting Pentax (due to it's newfound success) and specifically the supersonic lense capability. Both Tokina and Sigma said they had no immediate plans to change their position and Tamron just won't respond. Here we see Tokina releasing a new version of their successful 80-400mm, non stabilized telephoto lens. Their marketing strategy of this lens has been high build quality, good glass at a cost much less than the competition because of the lack of stabilization ... in Canon and Nikon mounts only .... hugh??? Why not target the two systems that have stabilization built into the body, Pentax and Sony? Can someone please explain this one to me?
While I fully understand that companies won't tool up to support systems they don't believe will eventually turn a profit, but without that commitment, Pentax will have a difficult time luring away potential users because of that same lack of support. Chicken and egg thing!!
I want Pentax to succeed, I want the 10d to redefine sub-professional DSLRs, I want 3rd party manufacturers to take Pentax seriously and ... I want to own a system that affords me all the choices that I deserve as a legitimate paying consumer. I really don't want to Pentax to be Rodney Dangerfield ...

10-21-2006, 09:07 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I am not 100% sure about this but re Tokina lenses I think Pentax provide research and development help to Tokina for a fee and there is an agreement in place that Tokina will not compete against Pentax lenses.

Sigma revese engineered the k-mount to provide Pentax users the Sigma option - I don't think this was done with Pentaxes blessing. But if the new Pentax K10d is a hot seller and K100D & K110D sales increase likewise - I would be pretty confident that Sigma will be looking to cash in also.

In short I believe Pentax want to be the major provider for the K mount lenses and have just recently built a new factory in Vietnam - which one would think would mean an increase in lens production and dont forget they will also be providing lenses for the Samsung K mount versions of the Pentax models which use Pentax lenses re badged as Schneider Kruznachs (and the Samsung models can also use the Sigma K Mounts - which is more incentive for Sigma to get on the K mount band wagon)
10-21-2006, 10:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Geting frustrated!

Whether for the 10D or the 100D, Pentax better do something real quick regarding the lack of affordable lenses available for their customers.

I bought the 100D based on what I believed to be reliable info. that there were many quality long lenses available at reasonable prices compared to the competition.

Now I find that $1000. is the start for a half-decent quality 300mm lens- if you can get one for that price.

Meanwhile, the equivalent in C and N. seem to be floating around everywhere and at cheaper prices.

Although happy with my 100D, the kit lenses don't have the reach I need and a look at the f*300 selling on eBay for over $1700. makes me shake my head in wonder. The other alternative- wait a year or so for Pentax to come out with new glass, priced at possibly the same levels, is not viable either. I want to use my camera NOW, not a year from now.

Can you tell I'm getting frustrated?
10-21-2006, 01:16 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Lusk Quote
Whether for the 10D or the 100D, Pentax better do something real quick regarding the lack of affordable lenses available for their customers.

I bought the 100D based on what I believed to be reliable info. that there were many quality long lenses available at reasonable prices compared to the competition.

Now I find that $1000. is the start for a half-decent quality 300mm lens- if you can get one for that price.

Meanwhile, the equivalent in C and N. seem to be floating around everywhere and at cheaper prices.

Although happy with my 100D, the kit lenses don't have the reach I need and a look at the f*300 selling on eBay for over $1700. makes me shake my head in wonder. The other alternative- wait a year or so for Pentax to come out with new glass, priced at possibly the same levels, is not viable either. I want to use my camera NOW, not a year from now.

Can you tell I'm getting frustrated?
Your situation analysis has not been very thorough if you have had an impression that Pentax has many 300mm lenses available.

This is not the case and this information is easily available. Pentax strenght has not been for years in long highspeed lenses but in a good quality shorter ones.

You should have been better to choose Nikon or Canon if wide aperture long lenses are what you need. It is not Pentax fault if you chose wrong..... I have no need for longer than 200mm lenses and I am very happy with Pentax offerings.

10-21-2006, 03:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hawki Quote
So ... here's the rub, (given the PQ and noise are what they should be on the 10d), should I go with a camera that truly does redifine $1000 DSLR's based on it's own merrit or go with a proven intentity like the D80 that has more lenses and accessories than Carter has pills?
-snip-
I think you have to consider what you want to do with the camera. If you find that the Pentax lens line doesn't answer to your needs, then you need to buy another brand. Then it is a pity, of course, if you would like an affordable camera with weather sealing and so on, but there isn't much to do about it.
The old saying about buying into a system is still true. If otoh, Pentax has the flashes and lenses and what more that you really need, then there is no need to ask. The "proven intentity" thing... Pentax has proven to work just as well as the Nikon and Canon and Oly and Minolta and...

not much help, I know...
10-21-2006, 06:40 PM   #6

Well, there are plenty of used Penax long lenses that will work and meter just fine on the K10D. They are planning new long primes, but you'll have to wait for those.

If you gotta have it NOW, get the Nikon. If you are planning for the long run, wait and see who produces what, and make your decsion on what you'll need to do your job.

I make most of my living with a 77mm Limted and a 10mm f/1.4 A lens (manual focus). The longest lens I've needed is 200mm, althouth there are longer lenses available. It all depends on what you need for what you do.
10-22-2006, 04:58 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I know there is no pat answer to the delima ... it was merely an observation. I want to by Pentax, have had pentax in the past and love their products. I also know that baring some miracle, companies like Sigma, Tamron and Tokina are not going to change their marketing strategies for a handful of Pentax loyalists.
It just seems, unfair ... for a better term, that when you are looking for that long telephoto zoom or fast wide angle prime that 2/3 of what's available in the market is for two systems only and you, as a minority system owner must settle for the scraps.
I'm 99% sure that I'm going to go ahead and get the 10d as long as there are no huge issues with the final production cameras ... it has the features and build quality not found in any other camera in it's class. I'm also hopeful that Pentax will indeed support this new system with many supersonic lenses and that Sigma, Tamron and Tokina will eventually take pity on us all and begin to provide some product likewise.

Cheers ... Hawki
10-22-2006, 05:59 PM   #8
clm

Here's a Sigma 300/2.8 for you: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&s...goryNavigation
Special order, but for that much money, it should be more than halfway decent.

Or a 100-300/4: http://www.adorama.com/SG100300DGPX.html

The point is, $1000 and up is what a good 300mm lens costs, regardless of who makes it, unless you get a used manual focus lens.

Last edited by clm; 10-22-2006 at 06:16 PM. Reason: add info