Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2009, 02:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
should I buy a K-m?

I currently own a K100D super.

I love the cam!
I have the 18-55 it came with and I bought a tammy 70-300 and a travor battery pack.

I dont use the cam as much as I should do, but when I do its usually of cars, or surroundings...

Should I buy a K-m?
will I gain anything (other than higher MP)
whats its power source and are batteries available?

many thanks I know you lot can help here!

01-24-2009, 02:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPZ Quote
I currently own a K100D super.

I love the cam!
I have the 18-55 it came with and I bought a tammy 70-300 and a travor battery pack.

I dont use the cam as much as I should do, but when I do its usually of cars, or surroundings...

Should I buy a K-m?
will I gain anything (other than higher MP)
whats its power source and are batteries available?

many thanks I know you lot can help here!
K-M does not have selectable AF points or a red-square focus indicator in the viewfinder, and I think the noise was a bit worse than the K100DS at equivalent ISO. It also doesn't have a top LCD panel.

But it's smaller, more responsive (faster AF,) 10MP vs. 6 (more cropability,) and has some neat stuff like digital filters. The menuing system is newer, and the menus are laid out better in general. It has very good battery life.

You can get the K-M for around $350-450 new at ebay auction with kit lens, but the K-M really shines with a fast 50, small limited or FA 35 on it.

It comes with 4 lithium AA's, which last forever.

I guess I'd suggest keeping your K100DS and invest in some good lenses or save up just a bit longer for a K20D.

01-24-2009, 04:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

If you're looking to upgrade, I would suggest the K200 over the KM if the K20 is out of your budget. It would be the next natural step up, with a similar layout, but more megapixels and weathersealing, among other things. Like the K100DS, it's powered by AA batteries.

HTH,
Heather
01-24-2009, 09:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I looked at the K-M, and being a K100D owner myself, I decided I didnt' like it. It lost too many features which I liked (top info screen, etc.). It's a pretty small camera too... I think even smaller than my K100D.

I feel that if you buy a K-m, you'll lose out. I was considering that option myself of buying a K-m for a backup, but decided against it and instead got the K200D.

In my opinion, it's better to spend money upgrading and getting more stuff

01-25-2009, 01:06 PM   #5
Kei

QuoteOriginally posted by dugrant153 Quote
I looked at the K-M, and being a K100D owner myself, I decided I didnt' like it. It lost too many features which I liked (top info screen, etc.). It's a pretty small camera too... I think even smaller than my K100D.

I feel that if you buy a K-m, you'll lose out. I was considering that option myself of buying a K-m for a backup, but decided against it and instead got the K200D.

In my opinion, it's better to spend money upgrading and getting more stuff
I was in a similar situation......

The K-m was announced just shortly after I bought the K200d and I was thinking of getting the K-m as a backup/family camera. However I am very much used to the top lcd screen already and couldn't bring myself to go without one. Another thing is that the K-m has the menu, review,delete buttons moved to the right side of the screen which I don't like. I like the layout of the k200d which lets me using the camera with both hands.

In the end I came across a pretty good deal on a very slightly used ist DL for <$200 CDN. So with the budget of the K-m I got myself the DL + FA50.

I personally thinks the K-m is a great camera by itself. But if you have been using a better-featured Pentax dslr before you may not like what's been stripped in the K-m. Let me choose again between the K200d vs the K-m I will get the K200d any day.
01-25-2009, 10:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I upgraded from the K100d to the K-m, I was originally going to buy the K200 but the K-m was a lot more affordable in Canada. I too was worried about the lack of top LCD and the lack of focus points that light up but I have to say I love the K-m. All the shooting info I need is in the viewfinder and the control layout is far more intuitive for me than the K100 or 200.

I always use center point AF so the lack of selectable points is no big shakes for me. AF is also miles faster than the K100 or K200.

Having said all that I don't think an upgrade is needed. Is there something your K100 isn't doing well. 6mp is fine for almost any use short of posters and the AF and other features of the K100 are more than adequate for casual use. I upgrade mine because my wife wanted my K100 and I was allowed to buy a new camera. I don't regret it though as it is an excelent camera.
01-25-2009, 11:27 PM   #7
Forum Member

I got a K-M for its small size to pair with the da limited lenses (for a lightweight travel/walk around kit). I was using a K100D at the time for this, and was perfectly happy with it, but it turned out I could basically break even with a new K-M and selling the K100D, and the K-M was smaller, had better autofocus, 10MP, gave me the option to use SDM lenses, and (for me at least) had lower noise at the same print size. Still, I think the K100d is a perfectly good camera, and is better in some ways than the K-M (K2000). I really like the size though, and was sold after seeing a da40 mounted on it. Reminded me of my old DS I loved but with 10MP and, more importantly, shake reduction.

01-26-2009, 01:12 AM   #8
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
for me K100/110 bodies are smallest I would go. I had the chance of holding K-m and didn't like it at all! Simply way too small. Now I can see how it would appeal to some, it takes K10 + grip to make me feel really comfortable holding camera. Anyway, the only upgrade you'd gain trading K-m for K100 is mpx and responsivness (maybe faster AF). But I believe on K-m you have to dig into menu even more then on K1xx bodies which I definitely wouldn't like.
just my 2p

BR
01-26-2009, 06:18 AM   #9
Veteran Member

This entire thread proves there is a market for a better small camera. If they up-specced it and charged another $150 they'd sell them.
01-26-2009, 12:00 PM   #10
Forum Member

Does anyone have any pictures of a K-m with a small lens like the FA50 or FA35 attached?
01-26-2009, 12:37 PM   #11
Veteran Member

not an FA50 or 35, but with a 40ltd:

01-26-2009, 02:30 PM   #12
Veteran Member

here's another one with the DA40 along with other DA limiteds next to it. the link also has shots showing an old k mount (135 2.5) mounted to one as well as a comparison of one with a DA40 next to an ME/MX
Translated version of http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/review/2008/11/17/9644.html
01-26-2009, 03:53 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
I guess I'd suggest keeping your K100DS and invest in some good lenses or save up just a bit longer for a K20D.
Agree completely!

I bought lenses for ten months and in the twelfth bought a K20D.

Only sporadic LBA, mostly in remission.
07-28-2009, 02:32 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I did buy one in the end!

It captures my automotive pictures so much better than the K100D
the K100D is a great cam dont get me wrong!
and i still use it on shoots!

I like how the k100 feels in my hands,yes i DO think the K-m is a little too small!
i never use the top LCD anyway!

They both have very good features anduse both while on a shoot!
the K-m is more menu intensive to change anything!

the K100D will use manual lenses out the box!
the K-m you have to change a few menues first!

but overal I dont think buying a K-m was a waste!
its still a slight upgrade from the k100, but in time i may look to the new x7.....
07-28-2009, 05:00 AM   #15
Forum Member

Boy, that is one happy customer. Look at all those exclamation points!