Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2007, 06:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax PEF vs DNG camera RAW Quality

Has anyone compared the quality of PEF vs DNG raw on the K10D? I have been shooting in DNG and would like to get those who have shot both formats give me your impressions. Is the slight compression (loss-less) of PEF affecting the overall final quality of the image?

03-22-2007, 06:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hey ben, I have spent some time taking he same shots on a tripod in both DNG anf PEF and have one conclusion... it's either exactly the same or it's exactly the same. My only problem with PEF which hapens to me a lot since I'm limited in memory cards is tha if you max out the card the last picture becomes useless an wont transfer; it's some windows error becasue the compression cant fully finish what it has to do and the K10 brain doesnt just say not enough space before you take it. I also cleared a bunch of images of the card once and maxed it out a few times and about half of the images near the end of the card didn't work. So my words to you are make sure you don't max out the card and that last photo be your best!
03-22-2007, 07:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Cant say I can see a difference.

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Has anyone compared the quality of PEF vs DNG raw on the K10D? I have been shooting in DNG and would like to get those who have shot both formats give me your impressions. Is the slight compression (loss-less) of PEF affecting the overall final quality of the image?
The PEFs are smaller and can be displayed on my Epson P2000 which is cool. Good enough reason not to bother with DNG, as is the fact that other RAW converters such as C1 and SilkyPix dont know how to open DNG files.

I gather the PEF compression is lossless.
03-22-2007, 09:42 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have tested them to the best of my ability in Photoshop and have found no difference.