Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2009, 01:11 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just made the jump to K10D

Well, I finally made the leap and upgraded from my *ist DL to the K10D.

I was seriously considering the K20D. As I was posting my DL for sale on craigslist, I saw a deal on a K10D that was too good to pass up. The difference in money between this gently used K10D and the K20D was too substantial to ignore, and the K10D gave me 95% of the upgrades I was looking for: pentaprism finder, 11-point selectable AF, weather seals, battery grip.

I feel like it was the perfect move for me right now. The K10D matches how much more serious I've been getting with photography, without breaking the bank. It also means I might be able to afford to upgrade sooner if Pentax make a move with a DSLR that includes 24fps HD video. As a filmmaker, the possibility of using my Pentax glass on a DSLR to shoot movies is VERY tantalizing. I know if I didn't have an investment in Pentax already, it would be very hard to resist the Nikon D90. But I'm happy to wait a little longer for Pentax to get into that game. (They came close with the K20D at 21fps... if only they could have pushed it to 24fps, with longer clips.)

As for the K10D, I am SO impressed. It's a major step up from the DL, and having handled a lot of different Canikons over the past few years, the K10D is solid. I'm having a blast with it, and look forward to my first shoot. I have a request for some family portraits and I can't wait to use the K10D.

01-25-2009, 01:55 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Congrats!

I went from the *Ist DS to the K10D. It's been almost 2 years and I still feel the same way as you. You are going to love this camera.

c[_]
01-25-2009, 03:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
Well, I finally made the leap and upgraded from my *ist DL to the K10D.

I was seriously considering the K20D. As I was posting my DL for sale on craigslist, I saw a deal on a K10D that was too good to pass up. The difference in money between this gently used K10D and the K20D was too substantial to ignore, and the K10D gave me 95% of the upgrades I was looking for: pentaprism finder, 11-point selectable AF, weather seals, battery grip.

I feel like it was the perfect move for me right now. The K10D matches how much more serious I've been getting with photography, without breaking the bank. It also means I might be able to afford to upgrade sooner if Pentax make a move with a DSLR that includes 24fps HD video. As a filmmaker, the possibility of using my Pentax glass on a DSLR to shoot movies is VERY tantalizing. I know if I didn't have an investment in Pentax already, it would be very hard to resist the Nikon D90. But I'm happy to wait a little longer for Pentax to get into that game. (They came close with the K20D at 21fps... if only they could have pushed it to 24fps, with longer clips.)

As for the K10D, I am SO impressed. It's a major step up from the DL, and having handled a lot of different Canikons over the past few years, the K10D is solid. I'm having a blast with it, and look forward to my first shoot. I have a request for some family portraits and I can't wait to use the K10D.
Good choice,

If you shoot RAW all the time (memory is cheap) and use LightRoom or equivalent, you will not miss the K20D extra legroom.
Also, I've been getting used to the darker images. Somehow, what many find to be underexposed I've started to find more realistic than the overly light pictures that in reality are made in a dark environment.
Let's wait for the K30D with a substantial better featureset (I hope) before upgrading.

Have fun!

- Bert
01-25-2009, 11:25 PM   #4
Forum Member

Congrats!! Welcome to the k10d club.

01-26-2009, 04:47 PM   #5

Oh sweet!

I am probably moving from my K110D to a K10D

I'm super excited.

Where did you buy your K10D? I see your in Toronto, I'm in Stouffville.

-Isaac
01-26-2009, 06:41 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I love mine. There's even an example of 1600 ISO in my Flickr site if you want to rate it.
DxO Noise Reduction - a set on Flickr

Coming from film, I don't find it all that bad, even though others complain of the digital noise. As a matter of fact I find it quite good!
01-26-2009, 06:46 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by IsaacSteiner Quote
Oh sweet!

I am probably moving from my K110D to a K10D

I'm super excited.

Where did you buy your K10D? I see your in Toronto, I'm in Stouffville.

-Isaac
I got the listing off of the Toronto craigslist, and bought it from a woman around Bayview Village. She was METICULOUS, and the camera is like NIB. (It came with the box!) Best $365 I've spent in a long time...

01-26-2009, 06:50 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I love mine. There's even an example of 1600 ISO in my Flickr site if you want to rate it.
DxO Noise Reduction - a set on Flickr

Coming from film, I don't find it all that bad, even though others complain of the digital noise. As a matter of fact I find it quite good!
Wow, it's like daylight. Reminds me of how excited I was the first time I saw available light film photography at 800ASA...
01-26-2009, 07:01 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I literally walked in the same footsteps as you, OP. I'm VERY happy with my k10d. The only downside from the DL (in my case, the Samsung version, GX-1L) is that the K10d handles noise a bit worse comparatively.

I've since acquired Sigma 17-70/2.8-4, Pentax AF 50/1.4, and a Jupiter-9. Works for all my needs!
01-27-2009, 11:33 PM   #10

I also went form K100D->k10D, K10D is great, much better than K100D. Compare to K20D, K10D sucks at high ISO shot, anything over ISO400, noise level is very noticeable. I guess i'll wait for next price drop for the K20D maybe the next model. Another cashback form ebay please. haha
01-28-2009, 10:17 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The saga continues... I added the battery grip to my K10D last night.

Whoah! That is a beefy, serious camera! The vertical grip/shutter release is more useful and comfortable than I thought it would be. Ergonomics of the camera improve somewhat (especially with a heavy lens.) But the weight is now quite substantial, which I think might offset some of the ergonomic gains... and I only have one battery in so far.

My dad is going to order a couple of Pentax OEM batteries for me. He found some for <$20 in the U.S. (He's got a P.O. box 'stateside, which makes it easy to order.)

Still looking forward to having more time to shoot something more interesting than my cat... this camera is overkill for cat portraits.
01-28-2009, 10:45 AM   #12
Thumper473

filamigo,
Congratulations on getting your new K10. Sounds like you got a great deal!

My new K10D is on the way to me as we speak. I just hope the latest from mother nature does not hold up the Postman/woman/person! I can hardly wait!
01-28-2009, 03:14 PM   #13

Photos: Gallery
I've been thinking about the K200D, but as I think more & more, I'd like to get a K10D, they're pretty much the same.
You can get a slightly used K10D with about 2000 shots that looks like new cheaper than a new K200D (both with 18-55).
I just hope I find one in a few monts when I will hopefully have enough money

EDIT: oh... and congrats on your new K10D!
01-28-2009, 06:45 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Thumper473 Quote
filamigo,
Congratulations on getting your new K10. Sounds like you got a great deal!

My new K10D is on the way to me as we speak. I just hope the latest from mother nature does not hold up the Postman/woman/person! I can hardly wait!
Hey thumper,
Can you please check what firmware your new K10D has once you get it.
Since its new I'm probably thinking it should already have an updated 1.30 where you wouldn't have to upgrade the firmware from the pentax site.
The old firmware of the K10D has been upgraded 3 times since its first version so it can support the new SDM lenses and you'ld also be able to use "remote assistant" and some other upgrade stuff including the problem of the vertical stripe during long time exposure mode.
01-28-2009, 06:57 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
Hey thumper,
Can you please check what firmware your new K10D has once you get it.
Since its new I'm probably thinking it should already have an updated 1.30 where you wouldn't have to upgrade the firmware from the pentax site.
The old firmware of the K10D has been upgraded 3 times since its first version so it can support the new SDM lenses and you'ld also be able to use "remote assistant" and some other upgrade stuff including the problem of the vertical stripe during long time exposure mode.
Last I heard, the camera is still shipped with 1.00 firmware. Some shops are upgrading for you, otherwise, you need to download and install. It took me about 10 minutes.