Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2007, 08:58 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think the main purpose and function of a DR system is to *prevent* dust spots *before* a picture is taken. It can by no means to replace proper cleaning of the sensor, especially for wet clean, which is an *after* measure.

Of course, if possible, the user can clean the sensor before going out for shooting. However, what can he do when he is in the field, and, especially when the place is not clean so that even an air blow is not viable?

As I have quoted, Pentax do have a secret patented weapon of themselves, hope they put it in the coming Pentax DSLR bodies, but not just put marketing gimmick like that they did with their K10D.

QuoteOriginally posted by GWP Quote
OK, so the Pentax K10D dust removal system ranks equal last (in that test), ....?
You may or may not be interested to know that I really don't care .

I purchased my Pentax *ist DS over the Olympus E300 some two years ago, knowing full well the dust issue, which really wasn't an issue because some homework revealed that dust could be easily cleaned off.

Advice from users of other dslr owners was to use care & common sense when changing lens', and yes I have had dust and the rocket blower is the best $20 I have spent in awhile.

Sorry, but I still see no reason to change my original decision . No issue, lets move on.
Grant
PS...but thanks for letting us know Michael.

03-24-2007, 07:14 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Strange. I just clicked on the link to try to read the article, and I can't seem to open it

Thank you for summarizing the findings, RH. I'll read it when the server becomes available.
03-24-2007, 11:06 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Well, for its intended purpose, yea I can't see how 'shaking' the sensor is going to get dust off and that test clearly demonstrates thing.

However, whats nice to know is that Sony's managed to some how rid static from their sensor surface. I've gotten dust on my sensor before and the blower bulb easily took the specks out.
03-25-2007, 05:08 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Well, dust removal was not exactly tops on my list of must have features. It always seemed a bit of a gimmick. I always felt if it works fine, if not, so what. But that's just me. I won't get into the argument about the test. I will make an observation.

My observation is that the coating on the AA filter seems to be pretty effective in keeping dust off the sensor in the first place. I am blowing out the K10D a lot less often than my DS, and to be honest, I've not been as careful about technique when changing lenses. Anybody else feel the same?

03-25-2007, 08:08 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Interesting that with Blowing the Pentax was MUCH better than the Olympus or the Canon..

I find that interesting since most of us use blowers anyway, we now know for certain, that this method works BEST with Pentax.. Maybe due to the new coating that Pentax use on the sensor (AA filter really)...

Definately a positive spin on the test for Pentax.. As even with 2 cleans none of the cameras were much different, and who is going to sit there with their Olympus and do 25 cleans to make a difference, when a quick blow makes a much bigger difference..
03-27-2007, 11:48 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rodo Quote
I am a new poster and please see my sticky post today any replies advice welcome before I sell my KD10 ?My worry is the sticky strip that collects dust , Will it beak up spewing bits and dust is it replacable is it able to remove and or replace , 2 or 3 years is it gonna peel off I worry it will cause more harm than good this sticky bit and should I buy a different pentax or even brand this sticky strip is not a great idea or am I wrong / Rodo uk . dislextic sorry speller.0.
Rodo, not to worry, the sticky strip is securely fastened to the camera body, there is no way it can come off. It this is an unserious post (which is entirely possible) tha's ok too, am at work and have 10 minutes to kill before I can get out of here.

NaCl(more worried about the sensor shaking lose and flying out thru the back and severely injuring me)H2O
03-27-2007, 11:59 AM   #22
Veteran Member

"S--T" My "D--K" Fell Off

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Rodo, not to worry, the sticky strip is securely fastened to the camera body, there is no way it can come off. It this is an unserious post (which is entirely possible) tha's ok too, am at work and have 10 minutes to kill before I can get out of here.

NaCl(more worried about the sensor shaking lose and flying out thru the back and severely injuring me)H2O
Man...(Screaming very loudly!!!) OOOOOHHHHH NOOOOOOOOO...I was shooting at Sacre Coeur today and I didn't read page 237 of the K10D's user manual. S--T...Help someone please, my girlfriend is in Bali for twelve more days and I need help, I tried to call her, but it is six hours ahead and she is sleeping....OOOOOHHHHH NOOOOOOO, why didn't they tell me that the sticky stuff holding my D--K in place could fall off if I don't press the Green Button on the Pentax while shooting Holy Architectural Sites and Artifacts...Oh Geez, There I've done it...It fell on the floor. Anyone got any sticky stuff I could use to put "it" back on? Perhaps you could just stick your finger below the sensor and put some of the "Stick Stuff" in a little plastic baggy thingy and send it off to me quick!...

Oh S--T...That's it...I'm selling my Pentax and going out to buy a new "N" or" C" that doesn't have this problem..."Sticky Stuff" My "Ar-"

Thanks for your help...
03-27-2007, 12:09 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Ah Huh...Yes Of Course..

QuoteOriginally posted by rodo Quote
I am a new poster and please see my sticky post today any replies advice welcome before I sell my KD10 ?My worry is the sticky strip that collects dust , Will it beak up spewing bits and dust is it replacable is it able to remove and or replace , 2 or 3 years is it gonna peel off I worry it will cause more harm than good this sticky bit and should I buy a different pentax or even brand this sticky strip is not a great idea or am I wrong / Rodo uk . dislextic sorry speller.0.
There is something quite strange about the posts by "RODO". Now Rodo, if you wish to respond to this post, please do. I have never taken an offensive stance, ever on a Forum. It has always been defensive or instructional. But, I think there is something very "Smelly" about this one. If I am off base, please forgive my impropriety.

Ben

PS...There is Honest Information and Dis-Information. I have been privy to both, if you catch my drift.

Here is his post:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/4997-i-think-ive-c...ying-k10d.html

Last edited by benjikan; 03-27-2007 at 01:03 PM.
03-27-2007, 12:52 PM   #24

It is a little strange that another forum had a post today from 'Rodo', in which he states that he has a Samsung GX-10, and asks the same question.
03-27-2007, 12:56 PM   #25

A dust removal system (gimick) will do nothing when there is a piece of dust in between the AA filter and the sensor like what my old Canon 20D had. This is a matter of poor quality control.

I am happy to report that my K10D does not have this problem. I have yet to use the DR system on it. And have had NO dust spots on any of my pictures
03-27-2007, 12:59 PM   #26
Veteran Member

And I'm a Plant?

QuoteOriginally posted by silverbullet Quote
It is a little strange that another forum had a post today from 'Rodo', in which he states that he has a Samsung GX-10, and asks the same question.
Well...I was accused of being a plant for Pentax. I guess being sponsored by them could be seen as such. But I have also been constructively critical at times and have passed the information on to them..I am not a conspiracy theorist, but...This stinks to high heaven of corporate or personal come up-pence to me. Plant the seed of doubt and off you go. You have effectively created a negative "BUZZ". By the time it gets out to the general marketplace as misinformation, innuendo and rumor, it has effectively become a major "Problem" that will invariably affect the decision of the potential customer. It is done in politics all of the time. My "Gut Feeling" on this one is "PLANT"... Time will tell I guess.

Ben

Last edited by benjikan; 03-27-2007 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Orthography
03-27-2007, 01:09 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Rodo's Post on Steves Forums vs Pentax Forums Site

QuoteOriginally posted by silverbullet Quote
Well it seems that RODO now owns a Samsung GX10 the counterpart to the Pentax K10D that he is "Threatening to sell":

Here is his exact post taken from Steves Forums:

I have just bought a new Samsung GX 10 with the two lens 18-55 lens and 50- 200., Before I even open and start to use the camera I thought I would look here and there on what it has and what it can do . I know I should have researched a bit more but this was in the uk here a bargain at £500 with both lenses and a two year warranty I had no time to research just snapped it up rapido ! . Ok I do understand it is a Pentax 10 mp camera with a Samsung badge, even the lenses are Pentax I believe, I learn it is weather sealed has IS built in loads of functions most at this price dont ect and dust removal mode, THIS IS what I am really upset about it seems that the dust will be vibrated onto a STICKY ADHESIVE STRIP, Now I am a very tidy person and worries such as this adhesive strip bugs me enough to think shall I best sell the camera kit like now , I think I can get what I paid for it ok e bay ect and purchase anouther brand maybe without an awfull nasty sticky bit inside , The thing is this strip wont stay sticky for ever how can it be replaced? or it might break up leaving an awfull gunge in camera or even ruin the inside with glue and dust its such a bad idea this adhesive bit, I thinki a sticky strip cant be a good solution it cant be made to last for long and Iwant to keep the camera a long time, no I do need advise on the strip, or its possible renewal (but what good is that sending it away for a new strip if possible more expense and hassle ?) or is there any advice on a similar priced camera and lens kit without this bad sticky strip idea that I am not comfortable with (at all) on a £500 camera .bad bad bad me thinks thanks for any advice Rodo uk.
Last edited on Tue Mar 27th, 2007 06:16 pm by rodo

Now here is his PentaxForums Posting:

I think ive come unstuck buying the K10D ?
I need advice please if any one can help , I am thinking of selling my brand new K10D because ive read it has a STICKY STRIP inside and that collects dust , I dont know if any one else has like me has cant sleep at night horror thoughts of in the future this sticky bit just might come away inside the body! or oh my god break up wreking the camera alltogether spewing its collected dust and sticky glue and bits inside the body also the sticky bit I expect looses its sticky so how about the collected dust, Is this glue strip bit replacable do you think can it be changed / removed by the user or what , I do wish it was not there to the effect I might get rid of my new as yet unused camera for piece of mind it could drive me stupid crazy just worrying about the sticky strip bit, I have both kit lenses so maybe a K 100 might be better as no sticky strip I think , any advice please .I am a new member first post,sorry I sure Am bad speller dyslexic bod please exuse that Rodo england.

Well...I rest my case.

Last edited by benjikan; 03-27-2007 at 02:22 PM.
03-28-2007, 01:19 AM   #28

Blow job

I've just had a look at the Pixinfo article mentioned by Rice and indeed the results of the in-built sensor cleaning for the four cameras. there a few things that I noted:

1. None of the cameras tested were any better after two sensor cleans

2. Only after 25! cleans did any real difference become obvious, especially on the Olympus

3. After the second 'blow' however both the Pentax and Sony were virtually dust-free. Not so for Olympus or Canon. For me this is the real result of this test - use a blower and save time and get a better result.

I cannot understand why Rice is so determined to put the K10D down. If he is so much into testing then he should spend an equal amount of energy in actually analysing the results. In this instance that would be "Forget the built-in dust removal system and get a blower, because you will get the cleanest sensor on the planet for the least effort"

Interesting post, especially when read with the 'Sticky strip' one....
03-28-2007, 03:08 AM   #29
Veteran Member

"Blow Job" for Pentax

QuoteOriginally posted by chrisman Quote
I've just had a look at the Pixinfo article mentioned by Rice and indeed the results of the in-built sensor cleaning for the four cameras. there a few things that I noted:

1. None of the cameras tested were any better after two sensor cleans

2. Only after 25! cleans did any real difference become obvious, especially on the Olympus

3. After the second 'blow' however both the Pentax and Sony were virtually dust-free. Not so for Olympus or Canon. For me this is the real result of this test - use a blower and save time and get a better result.

I cannot understand why Rice is so determined to put the K10D down. If he is so much into testing then he should spend an equal amount of energy in actually analysing the results. In this instance that would be "Forget the built-in dust removal system and get a blower, because you will get the cleanest sensor on the planet for the least effort"

Interesting post, especially when read with the 'Sticky strip' one....
Yes I agree. After giving the Pentax a blow job with the big bulb I purchased at the pharmacy, all of the dust is removed. I included a photo of my big bulb that I purchased at the pharmacy at this thread. The blower cost about 5. That's cheap for a good blower.