Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2007, 01:27 AM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by Chilichoco Quote
I know it's not a printer issue since all other shots that were at fast shutter speeds did not have the vertical stripes in prints. They were only present in the long exposure shots.

jeffkroll thanks,but my Silkypix photo editor does not work. I can post the green lines shot though,if you look close you can see them running parallel to windows,or you can zoom in on them.

Attachment 1781

Thanks and Best Regards
If you don't see it at all on screen, unless it is a horrible monitor that you are working on, I can't see how it is not a printer problem. Are you had the right paper/printer profiles when the print was made? My opinion is that most of the issues that are mentioned are far more visible on screen than in print; this is why it is called pixel peeping and not print peeping.

03-25-2007, 01:51 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I know it's not a printer issue since all other shots that were at fast shutter speeds did not have the vertical stripes in prints. They were only present in the long exposure shots.

jeffkroll thanks,but my Silkypix photo editor does not work. I can post the green lines shot though,if you look close you can see them running parallel to windows,or you can zoom in on them.

Attachment 1781
What you see there is not banding, it's CA (chromatic aberration) - a lens thing.
03-25-2007, 06:36 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm late to join, but I looked at the attachment and I agree with Jonas. I don't see any banding in the shot just some noticeable CA at the edges of the window sills.
03-25-2007, 07:23 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Attachment 1781

Thanks and Best Regards
Hmmmm.. not seeing much in that crop thats reveiling. Some chromatic abberation around the windows caused by the lens though. Green and purple bands between the low and high contrast areas. There's a stripe in the windows but that looks like a curtain line or something. It doesn't follow the sensor pattern so thats not any sensor issue. The green channel doesn't reveal any sensor banding or pattern issues.

03-25-2007, 09:54 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi everyone,

the crop I posted was about the green lines,not the bands.So am I being told here that it is okay to have this distortion and it should be accepted as normal?

I am on another forum about the same issue and was told exactly the same thing,that my computer screen is bad,and I'll tell here again that I have a brand new computer.
Can anyone tell me why such bands were visible ONLY in the long exposure shots and not in the fast shutter speed ones?

Thanks and Best Regards
03-25-2007, 10:05 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi everyone,

the crop I posted was about the green lines,not the bands.So am I being told here that it is okay to have this distortion and it should be accepted as normal?
No, you are being told that it is a function of the lens and not the camera.

I am on another forum about the same issue and was told exactly the same thing,that my computer screen is bad,and I'll tell here again that I have a brand new computer.
Some brand new computers come with crappy monitors.

Can anyone tell me why such bands were visible ONLY in the long exposure shots and not in the fast shutter speed ones?
The nature of chromatic aberration is dependent upon aperture. If you take the same lens, pointed at the same object, you will see the chromatic aberration change at different apertures. In a wide-angle lens you should be more concerned if you see CA at smaller apertures, since this is primarily what those lenses were designed for.

If you're really interested in the technicalities:
Chromatic aberrations

Which lens were you using?
08-25-2009, 11:34 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Severe banding on my K20D

Until my own example, the vertical banding problem I have seen in other photos is relatively minor.

Have a look at my example:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/71190-pentax-k20d-...-problems.html

What you see here is repeatable and highly visable in virtually every photo with low detail areas to the left side. The banding is always in the same place in nearly every photo. It just begun appearing recently and I am not happy!
08-26-2009, 09:51 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Vertical patern banding is an effect that many sensors will produce. Early K10Ds were prone, but I think firmware updates fixed it.

Your banding problem, on the other hand, looks like the start of a hardware failure. I do not think it is the same problem as the K10D's VPB.

I just noticed this thread was over two years old....