Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2007, 07:44 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
oops... Little help? Advice?

I got my ist DS used, and it is working great.

It came with a disk, but the only thing on it was the user manual.

There was no Pentax Photo Browser software. I've been to Pentax's website, and seen the updates for the software, but not the software itself.

1. Is it necessary to have this? iPhoto snagged all my images and placed them neatly on my HD, but those were jpegs. If I shoot in RAW, will photshop/iPhoto, etc... see the data about white balence, etc...?

2. Where can I buy it? How much will it cost? Didn't see a download site on the Pentax site for the whle version....

Thanks

03-23-2007, 07:54 AM   #2
Inactive Account

i think you have to shoot RAW have the ability to adjust the white balance. lightroom reads the pentax RAW files on the ds. so thers something to look into. its on special right now for 200. you cuold also check on the pentax website for that camera and see if they have the software you need.
03-23-2007, 07:56 AM   #3
Inactive Account

i have an extra copy of hte software from when i bought the k110d. so if you're interested, i could sell you my copy. PM me if you're interested.
03-23-2007, 08:02 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mediaslinky Quote
1. Is it necessary to have this? iPhoto snagged all my images and placed them neatly on my HD, but those were jpegs. If I shoot in RAW, will photshop/iPhoto, etc... see the data about white balence, etc...?
No, it's not necessary to use the Pentax software. I don't. Many do and it seems to be perfectly usable. But I dare say the majority of us here use something else.

I believe the latest version of iPhoto can see Raw images from some cameras. I don't know whether iPhoto can see PEF Raw images from your camera. Give it a try. Note however that it's not enough to be able to see or display the images, the program should be able to read the EXIF info as well. Picasa (a Windows program from Google comparable to iPhoto on the Mac) can display PEF Raw images but isn't able to read any of the embedded metadata.

I don't know about Photoshop itself, as I don't use it. I always hear people talk about Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) + Bridge in conjunction with Photoshop. Have to get an answer on that from someone else.

QuoteQuote:
2. Where can I buy it? How much will it cost? Didn't see a download site on the Pentax site for the whle version....
Don't know that it's for sale. You might be able to write to Pentax customer support and ask. They might reasonably say that you should have gotten the software from the original owner of the camera, because they don't license the software apart from the purchase of a camera. But don't fret. There are several other and I think better programs out there. Take a look at the following: Apple's Aperture; Adobe Lightroom (my pref); Bibble Lite or Bibble Pro; SilkyPix; Lightcrafts' Lightzone - and there are many more.

Will

03-23-2007, 08:20 AM   #5

I've never loaded the Pentax software. Photoshop with ACR is all I need.
03-23-2007, 08:21 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mediaslinky Quote
I got my ist DS used, and it is working great.

It came with a disk, but the only thing on it was the user manual.

There was no Pentax Photo Browser software. I've been to Pentax's website, and seen the updates for the software, but not the software itself.

Thanks
Both Photoshop and Photoshop Elements can "see" the pentax PEF files. I use PSE v.3.0 to process my photos but v5.0 is now out, relatively inexpensive and it will see all your raw files and exif data. I tried the included software (I too shoot with a DS) but found the program lacking in many areas. And I didn't like the look of the converted raw files.

NaCl(hope this helps)H2O
03-23-2007, 10:18 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks. I'll experiment with my existing programs and see if they can read the files, etc... If so, I'll not bother with the Pentax software.

If not...

slinky
03-23-2007, 08:09 PM   #8
Forum Member

The latest version of Google's "Picasa" does really well with the raw files from my K100d. I don't use it myself, but I know it works.

03-23-2007, 09:31 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Download the Pentax software and try it to see if it will work. Otherwise I'm sure someone here could send it to you, as you should have had it anyway we all know it's not piracy.