Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2009, 07:14 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
diopeter/viewfinder quesion

Hi all,

A diopter is supposed to adjust for poor eyesight. I am slightly nearsighted, probably about -1.2 or so in my shooting eye. However, the diopter seems like it only works for farsightedness (people who can't see close). I have mine all the way to the + side, which gives the best sharpness. However, it is not as sharp as it should be. As I love to shoot manual focus with extremely thin DOF, I cannot focus my way out of a broom closet.

Are there any accessories (besides glasses!) that will allow me to see better? Plus, can anyone recommend any viewfinders that increase magnification? The Pentax branded one seems useless at best.

Thanks.

01-25-2009, 11:05 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax used to make a series of eyepiece correction adapters that slide onto the eyepiece in place of the eyecup. The version I am familiar with was made for the "m" series cameras and is called "SMC Correction Lens Adapter M". They were available in various strengths and will fit the K10D and K20D.

The adapters are listed on this Web site, opticsplanet.com (Pentax part #30731 to #30738) but it is unclear from the page whether they actually have stock. If that fails, an older camera store or camera repair might have old stock in a drawer somewhere.

Steve

(Some Olympus models may fit as well...)
01-25-2009, 11:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by solaris Quote
Hi all,

A diopter is supposed to adjust for poor eyesight. I am slightly nearsighted, probably about -1.2 or so in my shooting eye. However, the diopter seems like it only works for farsightedness (people who can't see close). I have mine all the way to the + side, which gives the best sharpness. However, it is not as sharp as it should be. As I love to shoot manual focus with extremely thin DOF, I cannot focus my way out of a broom closet.

Are there any accessories (besides glasses!) that will allow me to see better? Plus, can anyone recommend any viewfinders that increase magnification? The Pentax branded one seems useless at best.

Thanks.
Maybe I misunderstand the question, but you want an accessory to allow you to see better, but you preclude glasses (or contacts)? That is exactly what they are intended to do, and I can't imagine any accessory that is better. Am I missing something?

Regarding accessories for helping you focus better, you may find this very helpful:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/46978-my-k20d-katz...-pictures.html

I completely agree with you regarding the magnified eyepieces:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/47178-k20d-o-me53-...-pictures.html

Hope that helps in some way.
01-26-2009, 12:50 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by solaris Quote
Hi all,

Thanks.
Sounds like something is wrong, you should be able to adjust for such small a defect on the camera. I can't say for sure because I am always wearing lenses, so nothing to adjust in my case.
Regarding diffciculties with shallow DOF I can agree. One of the issues is that the moderna focusing screens is made in such a way so that all lenses works as if they are at F4 even though they havea bigger opening. You therefore have a much greater DOF in the viewfinder than you will actually see in the photo. The only way around that is to reaplace the screen with a more traditional type. YOu should expcet the viewfinder to get slightly darker as a consequence though (this is why they make this new way).
I have not replaced my focusing screen, and often use manual lenses. You really have to find both points where you go out of focus, and then focus in the middle, but if I am using 1.4 or 2.0 I often miss the focus by a bit. I have been thinking of getting myself a Katzeye to sort out this problem.

01-26-2009, 06:16 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
DSLR viewfinders always (well, at least. all I know off) have a basic diopter correction of -1 applied, because that helps projecting the image on the viewfinder screen into a near infinity position, which is easier to accomodate for most eyes. So, if are nearsighted with about -1.2 dpt., that would require an overall adjustment of -2.2 dpt. for the built-in corrector. I am not quite sure, whether the built-in corrector of your camera provides enough adustability. But you can always add one of the Pentax M correction eyepieces, which you will find in a variety of dptrs.

I prefer leaving my glasses on, as otherwise I would perhaps be able to use the camera, but couldn't move a step without it...

You can add a higher magnification eyepiece to facilityte manual focus. The problem is, that anything beyond the Pentax xx-53 1.2x eyepiece will crop off parts of the viewfinder image. They will magnify the central part at the expense of the complete overview. Even the Pentax low-magnification eyepiece seems to vignette too much for some people's taste.

Ben
01-26-2009, 07:11 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know if this applies to all bodies, but I expect it does.

both my *istD and K10D have adjustments from -2.5 to +1.5 diopters.

I am also nearsighted, with corrective lenses that are -3.75 dipoters,

WHile I can adjust to get close to in-focus with the camera alone it is not perfect.

Even when my sight was much better, and it was possible to focus without my glasses, I began wearing my glasses to shoot for one simple reason. I can't see distances well enought without my glasses to go without wearing them, and as a result, it is a real pain to have to continually take on and take off my glasses when using the camera.
01-26-2009, 07:41 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for answering my questions. There are two reasons I don't like glasses; I find it really uncomfortable to hold up the camera against the glasses, and because I have to constantly take the glasses on and off when I want to change settings. instance.

I'm going to look into the M series viewfinder. In lieu of that, I may have to build one myself using an old pair of glasses.
01-26-2009, 11:10 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Even when my sight was much better, and it was possible to focus without my glasses, I began wearing my glasses to shoot for one simple reason. I can't see distances well enought without my glasses to go without wearing them, and as a result, it is a real pain to have to continually take on and take off my glasses when using the camera.
I solved this particular problem about 30 years ago when I began wearing glasses. I use an adjustable elastic strap attached to the glasses (available in most eyeglass stores). When I look through the viewfinder on my K10D, I just push the glasses up on my forehead. The strap keeps them there until I'm ready to pull them down. Works fine for me.

Richard

01-26-2009, 11:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I don't know if this applies to all bodies, but I expect it does.

both my *istD and K10D have adjustments from -2.5 to +1.5 diopters.

I am also nearsighted, with corrective lenses that are -3.75 dipoters,

WHile I can adjust to get close to in-focus with the camera alone it is not perfect.

I am completely of the same opinion. Taking hundreds of photographs during the day simply does not allow to shuffle glasses up and down the nose, the forhead or whatever. For the occasional snapshot that might work.

Ben
01-26-2009, 01:41 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
....Taking hundreds of photographs during the day simply does not allow to shuffle glasses up and down the nose, the forhead or whatever....Ben
It works for me regardless of the number of photos I take. I guess some might find the feeling of the glasses on your forehead uncomfortable. But it's no more difficult than raising the camera to your eye. I do that with my right hand while pushing my glasses up with my left.

Actually, I have the elastic strap attached to my glasses more or less permanently. Useful when I am eating in a restaurant, reading the menu, etc. Lot's of other situations too.

Richard