Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2007, 04:52 PM   #16

have the same thing happening in May... and my wife pretty much accepted on my behalf as it's a good friend of hers, well a friend of mine too but through her, getting married... well at least I can't refuse now (perhaps I still can, but hmmm... they don't have too much money, and I think they are not too fussy, so I guess I'll be able to get a few pics right )

For my equipment I have K100D - worse speed, better noise comparing to K10D...

I need flash, and am thinking of getting Sigma 500DG Super, as it is 1/2 of 540FGZ price in UK and supposedly has all the features, just a bit weaker... I think this should be OK...

I already have a Tokina 28-70 f2.8 ATX Pro zoom, so I hope that will do, not very wide, but hmmmm... that is sort of my main worry, not much on the wide end, maybe I need to buy a Zenitar 16mm prime, just to have it as a wide option, and not the vignetting kit lens... I mean I want the Zenitar, and this looks like a perfect excuse , it can be defished later for "important" shots...

are they gonna hate me or what?

03-23-2007, 05:19 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Take a look through this thread i started a while back:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/2855-wedding-lenses.html

Unfortunately i didnt get to shoot that wedding as we had 2 deaths in the family in the week leading up to it and i couldnt cope. Luckily i wasnt getting paid to shoot it and there wasnt a contract involved.
03-23-2007, 05:37 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't think that anybody is going to be hated for doing a favor, but.

I remember certain things about my wedding (23 years ago) and my wife has a different recollection.

We had/have an eclectic assortment of friends and associates.

I recall having guests from every major religion and several smaller belief groups all in a Roman Catholic church at a Mass. I remember seeing blue color types with dirt and grease embedded under fingernails and in the skin sitting along side stiff collar business men, lawyers and college professors. Cowboys and girls chatting with members of the symphony. Every major ethnic group peaceably sharing drinks, snacks and eating wedding cake without even the smallest of dirty looks.

The first thing my wife remembers is a missing cake knife and serving spatula. Then the missing 'something-or-another' flower in the tiny little thing-a-ma-bobs of the three groomsmen.

We had a pro shoot the pictures, I thought we had a good florist, the food and cake were excellent even when cut with an ordinary table knife. And I swear, I never noticed the knife, but I've heard about it since that day. From my wife, from her mother.

And that's the way things will be if you mess-up anything in the bride's marriage ceremony or wedding reception. So good luck!
03-23-2007, 05:39 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Scott,
okay, just to get some idea, since there's a lot of "don't do it" advice here - how much photography experience do you have?

You asked for advice and I'm not going to tell you "not to." That's purely up to you.
I agree with one of the posters above, make sure your sister's friend knows you're not a professional, since they'd be paying big bucks to someone who is, they're really making out on the deal. It will be a lot of work, and a lot of pain, but it may be a great learning experience too.

Some more things I thought of to mention - is the place outdoors or indoors? If it's indoors I'm going to stress this: Get a flash and an off camera cord, and a handle to attach to the camera, so the flash isn't so close to the lens. This will cause the images to look a lot more 3-dimensional and not flat. Also if the room has a lower ceiling, aim the flash 45 or 60 degrees up and bounce it, this will provide an even better light.

As I and others said too, scope out the place, and if you can, do some tests with some helpers, so you can see if your techniques are going to work. The worst thing you can do is go in ill-prepared and blow the whole thing, you will have family mad at you for a long time.

I totally agree with Benjikan, go for a more documentary style. Do the formal shots, yes - but the documentary style is becoming much more accepted in the wedding business.

Now, how much time do you have? If you can, perhaps you should go to an event somewhere, hell volunteer to do a few shots for your local newspaper for some quick experience, or perhaps visit a local wedding photographer's shop and volunteer to help out in return for some training.

I guess that's to say, we need more details from you in order to get an idea of what kind of mess you're getting yourself into...

-Dan

03-23-2007, 05:55 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by -spam- Quote
Take a look through this thread i started a while back:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/2855-wedding-lenses.html

Unfortunately i didnt get to shoot that wedding as we had 2 deaths in the family in the week leading up to it and i couldnt cope. Luckily i wasnt getting paid to shoot it and there wasnt a contract involved.
well it is incredible how those things line up... this life cycle really shakes us from time to time...

but back to the phot ideas - going by this linked thread I am definitely taking my 43mm limited, and perhaps even the 50-200 kit lens too well whatever they can sit in the bag if I don't need them... in any case will be interesting, and I think I'll upgrade my PC beforehand as well to speed up PP
03-23-2007, 06:49 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Scott,
Hope your not feeling any pressure here :ugh: with all this good advice beiing offered

I think (assuming you really want to do this) I would be having a quiet chat with the bride & groom as to their expectations (which you have probably already done).

If you feel you are able to meet their expectations then go for it, I expect you will have a lot of fun and enjoy the experience. BUT be sure to tease out their expectations first.

All the best, I'm sure we are all looking forward to keeping up with this one and seeing some results.
Cheers
Grant
03-23-2007, 07:50 PM   #22

Original Poster
Some of you guys crack me up! When I said I am a newbe to Photography I meant taking pictures for someone else for a price or free for that matter. I have been into photography for about two years now.I just recently got into digital.
I want to get a portfolio together so I can get an assistant job with a local photographer. I think it might be the right direction for me. Besides if I screw this wedding up its no big deal. Its not my friend, its my sisters friend. J/K. She has seen some of my shots before and I think thats why she asked. Like I said its a small wedding so I think I am safe...... I will post the pics after the wedding.
03-23-2007, 08:29 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Here is the link for an informative site maintained by two brothers, one who is a wedding photographer. This might contain some tips you could use. The information is fairly practical and explained in a straight forward manner.
http://www.thatsmymonkey.com/Pages/0000home.html The names sound funny, but the site is legit.

I and a mutual friend of the brides shared the duties for her wedding 6 years ago. It was fun and having someone else to work with was great and eliminated the second camera as a requirement. We survived and are all still good friends.

03-23-2007, 08:43 PM   #24
Veteran Member

OOO Boy...

Ahhh;

well.

OK then.

Two years photography experience, new to digital, hate your sister, budding pro assistant.

Like wow!

Forget the praying; I'll just bow deeply in a generally westward direction.

Too bad you didn't make these revelations early tomorrow morning. At least then I would have had my breakfast juice to spew all over my screen and keyboard with my guffaw and giggle.

Well, good luck,

anyway.
03-23-2007, 09:10 PM   #25
Inactive Account

OK, I have read the previous comments and I agree with the ones who say that you don't really want to do this. However, you have mentioned wanting to get a job with another photographer so it looks like this is the direction that you want to go into eventually anyway.

When I had been into photography seriously for about a year my friend asked me to shoot his wedding. I warned him that I was new and had never photographed a wedding before. He insisted and I shot my first wedding. Weddings are now my primary income. Moral of the story... are you sure you want to do this?

OK, seriously... You asked if you can do this with one camera body. I rarely take a second camera to a wedding. In the old days I only did it when I was shooting medium format for formals and 35mm for candids. This year I will take two cameras to my weddings, but only because I haven't sold my *istD. It is nice to have a different lens on each camera but it's not needed.

I would, however recommend a different lens than the kit lens. You will find it a bit limiting for wedding work. Something like a 28-70 would be better. Few shots will require much wide angle but a bit more tele is needed.

I can't remember if you said indoor or outdoor. If it is indoor you will want a good flash (never use the pop-up) and learn how to bounce it. You will want to be good at this technique before the wedding so practice it if you aren't already proficient.

Lastly, shoot everything! Don't wait for "photo opps" or for people to line up and smile. Shoot everything and edit them down later. Shoot RAW, you won't have time to say "lets do that again, I think I can get the exposure better".

Good luck. Keep asking good questions.
03-23-2007, 09:45 PM   #26
Pentaxian

I agree with the "pretend you are being paid $1000 for it" comment, and be very professional, and ASSERT yourself when you need to, don't be shy about ordering people about if need be, or to move them out of your way.

I was asked to do wedding once, I said no several times, but ended up doing it anyway! It was for the wedding of the eldest son of the richest family in the country at the time. No pressure. The B&G weren't going to bother with photos, but the mother of the bride, whom I knew, asked me. Turned out okay, I had 3 cameras (film days), 1 colour film, 1 B&W, and a spare. They still have some on their wall.
03-23-2007, 10:10 PM   #27

So you're all making out that BigSpender is a bit "game" for contemplating a wedding job with so little experience: What about the bride??? After three marriages one would have thought that, with her history, another try could only be considered another "..triumph of hope over experience."

(Sez he; three matrimonial episodes behind him and now living the life of a "Born Again Batchelor!")
03-23-2007, 11:43 PM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by Zubati Kit Quote
have the same thing happening in May..

I need flash, and am thinking of getting Sigma 500DG Super, as it is 1/2 of 540FGZ price in UK and supposedly has all the features, just a bit weaker... I think this should be OK...

are they gonna hate me or what?
Consider the Flash carefully, I tried the Sigma in two stores and could not get them to work properly at all. In my mind that is a fail, at turn on or when needed two strikes and it was out.

I got the AF360 FGZ Pentax and love it, does a fine job and also works wirelessly with the on board flash as a master and it as a slave.

Your lenses will do the job in my opinion, but be careful of the Sigma flash.. test it before buying. Maybe it is just the K10D it did not like, but it consistently overexposed badly, seemed to not care about distance or amount of flash to shoot.

Now it is 4 cents....
03-24-2007, 06:08 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Photo Tramp Quote
I could think of many other places I would rather be shooting then a wedding. (funerials come to mind as being more fun)
03-24-2007, 02:30 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by matix Quote
Consider the Flash carefully, I tried the Sigma in two stores and could not get them to work properly at all. In my mind that is a fail, at turn on or when needed two strikes and it was out.

I got the AF360 FGZ Pentax and love it, does a fine job and also works wirelessly with the on board flash as a master and it as a slave.

Your lenses will do the job in my opinion, but be careful of the Sigma flash.. test it before buying. Maybe it is just the K10D it did not like, but it consistently overexposed badly, seemed to not care about distance or amount of flash to shoot.

Now it is 4 cents....
About the flash Pentax has stated in a few phone calls I've had to make that the only flashes that will work on the K10D are the ones made by Pentax and that it's a one K10d in 10 that it could work on. We have the promaster 7500dx at the camera store and it works great on the the stores K10d but mine it always overexposes so if anyone is in search of a third party flash... ALWAYS TEST IT ON YOUR CAMERA BEFORE YOU PURCHASE!