Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2009, 12:41 PM   #16

I'm quite happy with my K200. IMO, using the AA bateries as a plus.

Otherwise, it's the best camera in it's class (otherwise I wouldn't buy it).

01-26-2009, 02:56 PM   #17
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jk333 Quote
PS - on the K200, how do make the remote control (f) work? I bought it and hit the button but it won't trigger the shutter.
Press fn and up, change the setting to remote control unit and that should do.
01-26-2009, 02:58 PM   #18
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Modern "hybrid" types - Eneloop, Hybrio, etc. - do significantly better than older NiMH cells (some newer plain NiMH cells do well too). With the right cells, battery life is roughly the same between K200D and K10D/K20D with their proprietary cells - usually somewhere in the 500-1000 range.
Thx Marc, I will prob do some research on these batteries I never heard about, that helped.
01-26-2009, 03:23 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Luciferase Quote
Thx Marc, I will prob do some research on these batteries I never heard about, that helped.
Go for Eneloops all the way. I did try one of the other hybrid brands and was very disappointed. Sorry, can't remember the name. But I've now switched from supposedly higher capacity batteries (best I could find) to Eneloops and they work a treat.

01-26-2009, 05:34 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Hi,

QuoteOriginally posted by Luciferase Quote
Just got a k200d as my second body. The only thing I'd like to point out (perhaps a pro reason for some) is that it uses AA battery instead of rechargeable.
While it is good to get 1000 or so shots with 4X lithium AAs, but 4 disposable AA's will cost more than a roll of 35mm! And the problem with using rechargeable AA's is that they only last less than 400 shots. So be preparing to carry loads of batteries for trips.
You don't have to use disposable AAs. You can use good NiMH rechargeable AAs. The Sanyo eneloops come to mind. Depending on flash usage you should be getting at least 600 shots on a set of 4.

FYI, last year, I was able to take 1600 pictures on a single set of 4 AA NiMH 2500 mAh batteries in continuous mode, including 100 with the built-in flash. That's way more than Pentax says I could (they claim only 700 with NiMH). This may be because I wasn't using the LCD due to the continuous mode. Even after that, I kept shooting with the same batteries for another week. They were not depleted. But the 1600 pics filled up all my cards so I thought it was time to stop the test.

QuoteQuote:
And I personally find the k200d grip expensive and to an extent pointless.
The BG3 is currently on sale for $59.95 at Cameta .
Amazon.com: Pentax D-BG3 Battery Grip for Pentax K200D Digital SLR Camera with Multi-Voltage Rapid Charger with 8 NiMH Batteries: Electronics
I got it for less a week before. That's hardly expensive .

QuoteQuote:
It could hold another 4AAs but when all 8 batteries ran out, you'll need to unscrew the grip to remove all batteries (I presume repeatedly doing this will break the tripod mount one day). Nevertheless, itís good for weight balance.
Compare with my k10d with grip (third party) holds 3 batteries can do ~2000 shots in one charge.
With the K200D, BG3 and 8 Sanyo Eneloops, you will get at least 1200 shots on one charge, possibly more depending on flash usage.
01-26-2009, 06:09 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I've got around 6k photos with my K200D so far, and really have no complaints. Besides double checking my settings when I first start it up, really the only time I go through the menu is to change the drive mode to 2s if I want to lock the mirror up, or to change the ISO. And that takes all of 2 or 3 seconds to do. Most of the functions that you need to get to quick are just that - easily accessible and the menus are in standard english, not some garbled abbreviations that don't make any sense.

Ergonomically, the camera is great feeling in my hands. I love AA's, I have quite a few sets (I have a bunch of vivitar flashes that use them, it's convenient too if I need an extra set for whatever piece of equipment I've got them.)

I keep rechargeable AA's in the grip, and a set of lithiums in the body. You can select which set it uses first in the menu: When the batts in the grip die the lithiums in the body take over until I have a free minute to change the grip batteries. Works out very well for me (especially in cold weather when the nimh's die faster)

I wish it had the bigger viewfinder, but most of the time it doesn't bother me. I used to have the magnifying eyecup, but (damnit) it got knocked off putting it back in my camera bag, and I didn't notice it was gone until the next time I went for it. I won't buy another one, because I know with my luck it will happen again.

I've got the grip, and I've finally been getting used to using it... (having used all-mechanical cameras until 2001) and it really helps me keep the camera more stable when doing vertical shots compared to holding it with one arm stretched over the grip. Only problem with that is there's no e-dial on the grip... that would have been perfect.
02-12-2009, 04:02 PM   #22

Original Poster
well everyone, I decided and just got my K200D! I actually purchased it from a user on here!

first off, I love the camera. Its bigger than the istDL and such a great upgrade to the istDL

smooth buttons, and easy to navigate menus

A+ on the K200D
02-12-2009, 06:04 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wilkin Quote
well everyone, I decided and just got my K200D! I actually purchased it from a user on here!

first off, I love the camera. Its bigger than the istDL and such a great upgrade to the istDL

smooth buttons, and easy to navigate menus

A+ on the K200D
Welcome to the K200D club - good choice! Enjoy!

BTW, there is a K200D social group (a bit slow at present) around as well.

02-12-2009, 07:21 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you can't find the Sanyo Eneloops in your area, look for the Ray O Vac hybrids, I have a set of those, and from what I can tell, they are pretty equal to the Eneloops.And less expensive...( I have 2 sets of Eneloops too )
02-12-2009, 07:41 PM   #25

i have my k200d in a few days i can't wait i use the istdl right now
02-12-2009, 08:01 PM   #26
Forum Member

k200d is amazing and in some ways i love it more than k20d..
02-12-2009, 11:33 PM   #27
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Had a DL, now have a K20 & K200 in the family. The K200 is a very very good camera for the $$$.

Batteries..? ...one word....Eneloops.

Cheers.
02-18-2009, 07:26 AM   #28

got my k200d yesterday i love it been playing around with it very nice camera
02-18-2009, 04:54 PM   #29
Veteran Member

The K200D is also cheaper than the K20D 'coz you are not charged for the cost of an OEM pentax rechargeable battery and a pentax charger.
Try to add the real cost of that (rechargeable batt and charger) to the K200D (pretending if it took the same batt as K20D) and the price difference overall would be small.
02-18-2009, 05:23 PM   #30
Pentaxian

A friend of mine has a Pentax 200D with the 18-55 kit and the 50-200 mm lens. He absolutely loves the 200D.