Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2009, 09:05 PM   #1

Opinion of the K200D....

hello, I currently own a *ist DL but im really considering getting the K200D, any advice?

thanks

Neal

01-25-2009, 10:00 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I'm not completely qualified as an expert yet, considering that I have only 2,000 frames on my K200D, but I love mine.

If you can hold off financially to purchase the K20D, that is the most likely advice you will see. However, I have found my K200D to be completely functional and, excepting the two control dials and better MP count, the equal of the K20D.

I'm sure others will point out more flaws in my reasoning, but it sure seems to be an excellent choice to me. One person here on the forums termed the K200D the best camera value in America.

YMMV...

Last edited by alderfall; 01-26-2009 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Edit for grammar
01-25-2009, 10:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I upgraded from a K100D to a K200D. I got a decent price on it (half the price of a K20D) so it was worth it for me. A K20D would've been really nice, but I'm pretty happy with the performance of the K20D and the difference in savings!

Are you not happy with the *ist DL? The only reason I would upgrade is if my camera body was nearing the end of it's life or if I had reached the limit of all the features of my old camera and could use the upgraded features in the new one. I upgraded due to a bit of both reasons, but more on the latter.
01-25-2009, 10:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wilkin Quote
hello, I currently own a *ist DL but im really considering getting the K200D, any advice?
Hi Neal,

There are quite a few thread replies around here saying get the K20D, probably with justification given the extra functionality and sensor resolution. The K200D viewfinder is also smaller and less bright than the K20D, and its buffer is smaller. But your choice will be partly dictated by what you actually shoot when evaluatiing this.

There are also a bunch of thread replies saying get the K10D instead of the K200D.

But as Alderfall says, the K200D is one of the best bang for buck cameras around. I even noticed RiceHigh giving it a thumbs up in a recent thread (I kid you not). I think its quite under rated and ignored as an option, but there are many satisified K200D owners like myself.

The fact is that the K200D is the K10D, with updated CPU/firmware, a few less functions, and very good ergonomics. If you can forego the more advanced functions, then the K200D is a very good camera that would easily satisfy most photographers - particularly if your on a tight budget.

It handles well, is responsive and feels solid. The menus are quick once you get used to them - a supposed failing which I think is unfair to it. The shortcut buttons like the green button, Ok (programmable), Av+/-, AElock and Raw are right where they should be and clearly labelled in the viewfinder. No complaints there.

Its interesting to note that the K200D has had not firmware updates, whilst the more recent K-M/2000 has. It means on one hand that its firmware was well thought out and ironed out the bugs in its predecessors. It may relate to its suggested demise as well, but even the non-production K10D has had firmware updates.

My suggestion is to get your hands on one to try it, as well as a K20D and a K10D if you can. See what YOU think when you actually hold it and shoot with it as it is ultimately your choice.

Good luck!

Last edited by MoiVous; 01-25-2009 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Links to post.....
01-25-2009, 11:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I'd say it's worth the upgrade for the SR alone, especially at current prices (under $400 from prodigital2000 on ebay!). But weather sealing, an orientation sensor, more resolution, dust removal, and quite a few other features don't hurt either! Sure, as others have said, the K20D is an even bigger step up, if you can afford it and don't mind the difference in size/weight. But the K200D is a great camera at a great price.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 01-26-2009 at 11:59 AM.
01-26-2009, 02:24 AM   #6
Forum Member

Just got a k200d as my second body. The only thing I'd like to point out (perhaps a pro reason for some) is that it uses AA battery instead of rechargeable.
While it is good to get 1000 or so shots with 4X lithium AAs, but 4 disposable AA's will cost more than a roll of 35mm! And the problem with using rechargeable AA's is that they only last less than 400 shots. So be preparing to carry loads of batteries for trips.
And I personally find the k200d grip expensive and to an extent pointless. It could hold another 4AAs but when all 8 batteries ran out, you'll need to unscrew the grip to remove all batteries (I presume repeatedly doing this will break the tripod mount one day). Nevertheless, it’s good for weight balance.
Compare with my k10d with grip (third party) holds 3 batteries can do ~2000 shots in one charge.
01-26-2009, 03:31 AM   #7

Original Poster
thanks for all the feedback, Im more of a budget photographer I jumped into the whole digital scene with the ist DL and realized I should of did more research before buying it. Im not saying its bad, its a great camera its just old.....I had considered the K20D but its a little out of my price range. I appreciate everyone's opinion and advice. Ill keep everyone updated as to what I upgrade too

01-26-2009, 04:27 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Luciferase Quote
Just got a k200d as my second body. The only thing I'd like to point out (perhaps a pro reason for some) is that it uses AA battery instead of rechargeable.
While it is good to get 1000 or so shots with 4X lithium AAs, but 4 disposable AA's will cost more than a roll of 35mm! And the problem with using rechargeable AA's is that they only last less than 400 shots. So be preparing to carry loads of batteries for trips.
There are two camps in the photography world - AA and proprietary. I declare that I'm in the former.

Here are my reasons:
  • AA means you can find a battery in any shop almost anywhere on the planet.
  • I've got 3 sets of Eneloops - which although slightly more expensive than the standard rechargable, are very good.
  • Eneloops have a very long shelf life when charged (80% at up to 6 months by most accounts) - longer than a standard NiMH (lots of threads on that!). Thats also the opinion of many users on this site (lots of threads on that as well!).
  • You don't need to carry your charger if you don't want too. I know I pack enough chargers/plug packs when I'm on the road as it is (phone, laptop, portable disk drive). With 3 sets of charged Eneloops, the charger is optional and in a worst case scenario I can get a set of AAs from any shop.
  • My Eneloops have outlasted the Lithiums that came with the camera (they gave about 300 shots - the Eneloops are currently up to 400 so far).

Just my two bits worth on batteries
01-26-2009, 07:37 AM   #9

Batteries

I will say that I have been pleasantly surprised to have over 2,000 shots on my first set of Lithium AA's in my K200D. I shoot very few flash shots and not a huge amount of buffer use thus far on this set.

YMMV...

And I personally find the k200d grip expensive and to an extent pointless. It could hold another 4AAs but when all 8 batteries ran out, you'll need to unscrew the grip to remove all batteries (I presume repeatedly doing this will break the tripod mount one day). Nevertheless, it’s good for weight balance.
Compare with my k10d with grip (third party) holds 3 batteries can do ~2000 shots in one charge.
01-26-2009, 07:46 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Neal,
k200d is a great camera. I've been using it for the last 8 months and it was fun. Unfortunately I never touched *stDL, so can't compare them. But if you can't afford k20d - go for k200d for sure.
On the side note: the 'battery' argument, when comparing k20d with k200d, is kind of bogus.
01-26-2009, 08:37 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by sinus007 Quote
On the side note: the 'battery' argument, when comparing k20d with k200d, is kind of bogus.
In what way is this bogus?
I'm debating between the two and the problems I've had with proprietary batteries are one of the reasons I'm considering the K200D.
01-26-2009, 09:06 AM   #12

I got about 1800 shots with the lithiums! They lasted me about 3 months... Lots of buffer usage but minimal flash. The 400 shots with the lithiums seems VERY low to me.

PS - on the K200, how do make the remote control (f) work? I bought it and hit the button but it won't trigger the shutter.
01-26-2009, 10:01 AM   #13

I'm with MoiVous -- dig the AA cells. Note that lithium rechargeables go bad in a couple of years even if you don't use them, so if the particular proprietary battery your camera depends on is discontinued, you're S.O.L.

A set of non-rechargeable lithiums weighs about 55 grams, so I carry one for backup. NiMH weighs about 125 grams for a set.

If you do a search, you'll find a LOT of discussion, argument, and anecdotal evidence about NiMH AAs.

QuoteOriginally posted by jk333 Quote
PS - on the K200, how do make the remote control (f) work? I bought it and hit the button but it won't trigger the shutter.
Start a new thread for that, please.
01-26-2009, 10:24 AM   #14
Inactive Account

I used to own an istDL too before upgrading to the K100D and presently with the K200D. The istDL takes decent shot, is compact and super lightweight. If you have no complaints with it, I suggest you use it until it dies.
The reason why I upgraded to the K100D was I wanted SR (and of course, was itchy for the latest stuff too!). Now I have the K200D and is very pleased with it. Weather sealing, SR, sensor dust remover are all appreciated too!
As for the Lithiums, they gave me about 1200 shots before they died.
If weather sealing is not an issue, I suggest you go for the K-m instead (or K2000 if you are in the US). Its almost as light as the istDL, smaller in size but has sensos cleaner and SR too.
01-26-2009, 12:10 PM   #15
Veteran Member

And the problem with using rechargeable AA's is that they only last less than 400 shots.
Modern "hybrid" types - Eneloop, Hybrio, etc. - do significantly better than older NiMH cells (some newer plain NiMH cells do well too). With the right cells, battery life is roughly the same between K200D and K10D/K20D with their proprietary cells - usually somewhere in the 500-1000 range.

QuoteQuote:
And I personally find the k200d grip expensive and to an extent pointless.
I don't feel the need to use one either, and I shoot vertically a lot. But FWIW, Amazon now has it under $50. I may pick one one just to have it.