Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2009, 03:35 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Any pentax gear expert here?

Hello! I need some help from any experied pentax gear expert here.
I going to buy a box of following things:

ASAHI PENTAX

AOP SLR chrome
H2 chrome
SV chrome
SV black
S1 black
S1a black
Spot 500 chrome
Spotm chrome
Spotm 2 black
Spot 1000black
S3 black
KM chrome
MX black
MX chrome
ME-F chrome
SL black

Lenses
135/2,8
50/2,0
50/1,7
85/1,9
40/2,8 pannkak
55/2,2 2 st
55/1,8
28-80 FA

Any ideas about what lenses this is? FA, K, F, M????

I would really like to know
if this is some real quality lenses, becasue if yes, I am going to put them as well
on a brand new K20d that i am planing to buy.

Can this lenses match the high resolution of the k20d or not?

All this for for around 1000$....is it expensive or a good deal?

Over to you my friends help me out!

Best regards
Emil

01-26-2009, 03:57 AM   #2
Forum Member

Need more information on the lenses, any they all K mount?
As long as they are, it'll fit to the k20d.

But they all seem vintage lens which do not have AF.

A photo will help

The lens focal length and apectures are irrelevent to sensor resolution. Therefore, it can't be said whether a lens matches the camera resolution or not.

The box have some focal lengths overlap. So, IMHO, instead of getting a box of something you have no idea about, I'd save the $1000 on one, maybe two quality digital lense to suit your k20d to be.
01-26-2009, 05:52 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by losecontrol Quote
Hello! I need some help from any experied pentax gear expert here.
I going to buy a box of following things:

ASAHI PENTAX

AOP SLR chrome
H2 chrome
SV chrome
SV black
S1 black
S1a black
Spot 500 chrome
Spotm chrome
Spotm 2 black
Spot 1000black
S3 black
KM chrome
MX black
MX chrome
ME-F chrome
SL black

Lenses
135/2,8
50/2,0
50/1,7
85/1,9
40/2,8 pannkak
55/2,2 2 st
55/1,8
28-80 FA

Any ideas about what lenses this is? FA, K, F, M????

I would really like to know
if this is some real quality lenses, becasue if yes, I am going to put them as well
on a brand new K20d that i am planing to buy.

Can this lenses match the high resolution of the k20d or not?

All this for for around 1000$....is it expensive or a good deal?

Over to you my friends help me out!

Best regards
Emil
If I'm not mistaken, I would say the 135mm F2,8 is an M series lens
the 85 mm F1.9 will be a takumar M42 lens, as the K serise was F1.8 the M series was F2.0

the 55mm lenses are also probably also M42 screwmount

the 50mm are probably K mount. as is the 40mm pankake (althoug it could be KA)

the lenses are all useable, (m42 with adaptor) it depends on how much you will pay
01-26-2009, 05:58 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Good grief--what a lot! I'm no expert and know nothing about bodies but if those lenses are k-mount and in good shape (inspect & test each one carefully) this is probably a very good deal.

01-26-2009, 06:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
If I'm not mistaken, I would say the 135mm F2,8 is an M series lens
the 85 mm F1.9 will be a takumar M42 lens, as the K serise was F1.8 the M series was F2.0

the 55mm lenses are also probably also M42 screwmount

the 50mm are probably K mount. as is the 40mm pankake (althoug it could be KA)

the lenses are all useable, (m42 with adaptor) it depends on how much you will pay
Thank you a lot. So, is this a good deal then after all? I don't care about autofocus, I just want pure quality lenses

Thanks again for usefull information my friend
01-26-2009, 06:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Luciferase Quote
Need more information on the lenses, any they all K mount?
As long as they are, it'll fit to the k20d.

But they all seem vintage lens which do not have AF.

A photo will help

The lens focal length and apectures are irrelevent to sensor resolution. Therefore, it can't be said whether a lens matches the camera resolution or not.

The box have some focal lengths overlap. So, IMHO, instead of getting a box of something you have no idea about, I'd save the $1000 on one, maybe two quality digital lense to suit your k20d to be.
Well, I don't mind (or want) autofokus, but one good idea is to try everything before buy Do you think one good modern quality lens can beat all of them?

Remember all the cameras I get for this prise as well Those are some real old goodies Thanks for the answer, it's intressting!
01-26-2009, 06:12 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Good grief--what a lot! I'm no expert and know nothing about bodies but if those lenses are k-mount and in good shape (inspect & test each one carefully) this is probably a very good deal.

Yeah! A lot I will try them before I buy them, but it seams like a good deal.
It's much gear for the money!
01-26-2009, 06:21 AM   #8

Yeah! A lot I will try them before I buy them, but it seams like a good deal.
It's much gear for the money!
You should only loo at the amount of gear that you are going to use. Lots of old bodies there, will be an impressive collection on the shelf, but are you going to use them?
As for the lenses, some of the old lenses were very good, and some excellent. I have never bothered with using any screw mounts, but lots of people are. I understand the adaptor is put on the camera and makes it a screw mount body. I think you can modify it and instead put it on the lens (I think I have read that somewhere).
Regarding resolution, you can not expect all lenses to deliver 15Mp, which is also true for new lenses. But that is no reason why you would not still get great pictures.

01-26-2009, 06:47 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by quarc Quote
You should only loo at the amount of gear that you are going to use. Lots of old bodies there, will be an impressive collection on the shelf, but are you going to use them?
As for the lenses, some of the old lenses were very good, and some excellent. I have never bothered with using any screw mounts, but lots of people are. I understand the adaptor is put on the camera and makes it a screw mount body. I think you can modify it and instead put it on the lens (I think I have read that somewhere).
Regarding resolution, you can not expect all lenses to deliver 15Mp, which is also true for new lenses. But that is no reason why you would not still get great pictures.
A great answer my friend.

Well, much gear for less money was part of a joke, and I do really understand I will not use all this gear. So that's a waiste and I will try to maybe just buy the lenses and any cameras. Not all.

It's true as you said. I can get any very good photos indeed even if the lenses can't match the resolution. I just think that it's important have some good lenses, and I don't mind to much about the sharpness, but I want it to give me good photos, anyway I would not throw away my money for nothing.

Good thing you said about the adapter. I will look for it!

Thank you very much for the answer

Regards Emil
01-26-2009, 06:52 AM   #10

A great answer my friend.

Well, much gear for less money was part of a joke, and I do really understand I will not use all this gear. So that's a waiste and I will try to maybe just buy the lenses and any cameras. Not all.

It's true as you said. I can get any very good photos indeed even if the lenses can't match the resolution. I just think that it's important have some good lenses, and I don't mind to much about the sharpness, but I want it to give me good photos, anyway I would not throw away my money for nothing.

Good thing you said about the adapter. I will look for it!

Thank you very much for the answer

Regards Emil
I have several old lenses that can handle the resolution of K20, for example M100/2.8 and M28/2.8. I also have a M200/4 which I used to like a lot, especially for the nice bokeh, but that one does not have enough resolution at all.

Good luck with your purchase.
01-26-2009, 06:53 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do any of the lenses have the magic Takumar word on them - if so you are getting a great deal.
Assuming that everything is in reasonable condition the 85mm 1.8 is curently selling for around $US200-300 alone - even the M42 version. Saw a couple on the net today for over $400.
Average the cost over the remainder and you are getting a good deal. The 50 1,7 and the 135 2,8 and the pancake are potentially excellent lenses as well. Get the genuine Pentax adaptor ring for the K20D and start posting up in the forum.
01-26-2009, 07:08 AM   #12
Veteran Member

PM sent... nice collection. I know a little about the early bodies.
01-26-2009, 07:26 AM   #13
Site Supporter

ASAHI PENTAX

Original "Pentax"? (when Pentax was a model not a brand):
AOP SLR chrome

Pre spotmatic. Have not used, but they look avewsome. Price depends on shape. Blacks are usually more rare, no meter in bodies:

H2 chrome (American version)
SV chrome
SV black
S1 black
S1a black
S3 black

Spotmatics (with meter)
Spot 500 chrome (low budget model without 1/1000sec)
Spotm chrome
Spotm 2 black
Spot 1000black

Original K mount generation body, KM is big brother to K1000, better, but less expensive:
KM chrome

Compact M generation bodies, again black cost more, but all depends on shape, MX was like a compact semipro model, all mechanical with meter, ME-F was one of the two (argued) first autofocus SLR cameras, an experiment, cost very little today, the odd f2.8 zoom on it is supposed to be optically very good:
MX black
MX chrome
ME-F chrome (works like ordinary ME if not the special AF lens is included)

This one beongs to the spotmatics I believe:
SL black

Lenses

135/2.8 only exists as A135/2.8 (apperture electronics but no AF, some claim it is a dog, some that it is an underdog), F/FA135/2.8 (AF, good, fairly expensive), and warning warning a "Takumar bayonett" version without multicoating, a true dog, takumars, K and M 135's were all f2.5 or f3.5
50/2,0 M or A? Not bad, but common as trees in a forest, cost nothing.
50/1,7 M, A or F? Very sharp. People argue if the 50/1.4 or the 50/1.7 is the sharpest, A version has an apperture ring that break with time, but it can be fixed.
85/1,9 Must be a takumar lens? Good reputation. Among the more costly takumars. There is a 85/1.8 that cost more.
40/2,8 pannkak Pentax first real pancake (though the M28/2.8 is not much thicker), optically overrated, quite common (despite all ebay sellers claiming that it is rare) tiny tiny
55/2,2 2 st Must be Takumars, low budget version for sheaper bodies (pre-spotmatic).
55/1,8 Takumar or K (same optical solution)? Nice portrait lens on a DSLR. Good lens, not very common, not rare, not sheap as the 50/2 but less expensive than the 50/1.4's
28-80 FA There are 5-6 different versions from crap to very good.

For a 1000$ you may catch even or have a small plus if you sell them pice by piece, but it will be a lot of work.
It is your money, I can't tell you what to do. Personally the F/FA135 is on my list and the 85/1.9, but I'd prefere the 1.8. But I would not buy it in such a block, cause I would not know what to do with this many bodies, Trying to avoid becomming a collector, just buying things I will use.