Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2009, 07:44 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Power readings from the 200D

Just wondering if anyone has had strange power readings from the 200D?

Its not exactly a gamble when my LR6's are going to run out but i find the camera will shut down occasionally and the no battery symbol will flash on the LCD but if i turn it off and then on it will come back to life.. with a full power bar.

I am in China and kicking myself for not buying some good sanyo eneloop rechargables in Australia. Maybe its the Chinese batteries, as i have had some pretty bad experiences with some, but it is usually my fault not opening the packet in the shop and checking the date on them before i leave, not that you should have to do that but this is China.

In any case i find the two bars on the LCD can be a little misleading... 4 or 5 bars would have been nice.

Any one had any similar problems?

01-26-2009, 07:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

if you turn it back on and it's full, how long can you use it? or is it just a fals reading
is it cold where you are? battery life is highly dependent on temperature
01-26-2009, 08:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah sorry forgot to add that. It is a little cold, (its winter), but not overly. I'm in Sth China so it's not dropping below 8-9 degrees during use.
I can get, say, 10-20 minutes of walking around with it on idle and fire a few shots off before it will die again. But the most misleading thing is that it will show full the first time it shuts down and i fire it up again.
01-26-2009, 12:51 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The battery meter on AA-powered cameras is not very accurate because the batteries don't have any intelligence, and they have to compromise for so many different batttery types. This kind of odd behavior is not unusual.

I keep a new backup set of AA Lithiums in my camera bag. The last time my hybrid rechargeables died and I had to switch, the battery meter kept telling me the new batteries were dead too. After a few on-off cycles, the meter decided the new batteries were OK, and I got another 800 shouts out of them.

01-26-2009, 01:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

sounds like something is wrong w/ either your batteries or camera
01-26-2009, 07:12 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just1MoreDave

Yeah that would make sense with it having to compromise for many different types of batteries.
Thanks.
01-26-2009, 07:15 PM   #7
Veteran Member

When out in the cold, I keep an extra set of batteries warm in a pocket, just in case.