Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2009, 11:02 AM   #1

K200d Remote Shutter Trigger

Hello,

I bought the Remote Control (F) by pentax to be able to remotely trigger the shutter. When I hit the button it won't remotely trigger however. There must be a setting to put the camera into to allow it to remotely trigger?

(On a side point, why must there be a setting? How often I am going to accidently hit the infrared remote control? Seems to me it should just automatically trigger the shutter)

01-26-2009, 11:19 AM   #2

Original Poster
WELL, the answer is available on page 122 and 123 of this manual - http://www.pentaximaging.com/files/product/k200dE.pdf

However, if this does not work tonite, I will be back on here. Apparently, I need to focus the camera with the shutter first, THEN, point the remote TOWARDS the sensor on the front of the camera.

I may have been messing one of those up... We will see. If anyone has any specific tips, please let me know. I'm going to try to take some nite exposures this evening.
01-26-2009, 11:37 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't have a K200D but to use a wireless remote on the K10 and K20, you just hit the F button and the drive mode (top). then select the remote control setting for wireless.
01-26-2009, 11:57 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jk333 Quote
However, if this does not work tonite, I will be back on here. Apparently, I need to focus the camera with the shutter first, THEN, point the remote TOWARDS the sensor on the front of the camera.
Actually, there is an option (custom option #9) to control whether it focuses when you hit the remote or not.

As for why you need to be in the special "remote" mode in order to use the remote, I would assume that listening for remote signals might drain the battery. Or perhaps TV remotes and other IR devices might accidentally trigger your shutter.

01-26-2009, 01:15 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
As for why you need to be in the special "remote" mode in order to use the remote, I would assume that listening for remote signals might drain the battery. Or perhaps TV remotes and other IR devices might accidentally trigger your shutter.
Exactly. If remote was set as default then imagine the posts from users wondering why their camera fired without them pressing the shutter!.

Given that the remote is not specific to each camera and there are plenty of 'universal' remotes out there and that the code may be the same as many other appliance remotes then the potential for unintended triggering is possible.

Best that the user has to choose to enable remote and thus is aware of its being set than a whole lot of users unaware and assuming a fault.(well done Pentax)

As a side note the universal remotes such as this one have buttons to fire several brands of camera.

DealExtreme: $3.97 Jianisi Universal Digital SLR Remote for Pentax / Nikon / Canon / Konica Minolta

The possibility of mischievous use amongst a group of photographers at an event could be interesting, especially for those with remote capability enabled.