Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2009, 07:46 PM   #1
Forum Member

What the hell is that

Hello All,

I have just returned from Afghanistan, and it was an incredible trip (pictures as soon as my new harddrive arrives as I do not have enough memory on my computer to download all my pics). While there however, I noticed a spot.

I have a K200D with the Pentax 18-250 lens. As soon as they arrived, I put the lens on the camera, and have not taken it off since. They are just about 1 month old. So here I am shooting away, when all of a sudden I notice what looks like a small black speck in my viewfinder. Its right there to the left of the center bracketing tic marks in my field of view.

So I immediatly aim my camera at an all white wall and snap, the black speck doesn't appear in my pictures (this I've verified). But its in my view finder. I thought maybe it was some dirt on the outside, but I wiped the little square down, and its still there. What is it? What can I do about it? Do I need to do something about it?

Thanks,
Oren

01-26-2009, 07:50 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Thread moved to DSLR forum

If it isn't affecting your picture taking, don't worry about it. Dust happens, all you can do is take reasonable precautions to minimise how much dust gets in.
01-26-2009, 07:59 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
I know dust can happen, but I've never opened my camera. When it arrived, I kept it sealed up until the lens came. then I opened the lens, opened the camera, and put them together. There was no black speck then. It has not been opened since. What could be causing it?
01-26-2009, 08:14 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Oren,
What you probably have is a bit of dust/debris in the view finder. You can try blowing it out (or shifting it) with a rocket blower by inserting the tip around the edge of the view finder/eyecup......or live with it.

Cheers.

01-26-2009, 08:17 PM   #5
Damn Brit

It was probably somewhere in the camera and over time it has worked it's way to the viewfinder.
People often find, after sending their camera to Pentax under warranty, that a previously clean viewfinder comes back to them with specs all over it.
If it is affecting your ability to focus, then you should try and get it cleaned, otherwise it's usually best to live with it and then maybe send it in just before the warranty runs out.

Just a though, if you adjusted the diopter at all, that could have been what released the spec into the viewfinder.
01-26-2009, 08:21 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Actually....that was I used to do with my *ist DS.....have never had a problem with the K20 or K200.
01-26-2009, 09:15 PM   #7
Veteran Member

You have verified it's in the camera then? Maybe take the lens off and look through the viewfinder at a very bright and blurry view interrupted by a black speck? The dust speck is either on the flip-up mirror or the penta-mirror assembly just as noted above. The little lens blower devices are indeed good for this.

I suggest the removing the lens test because a zoom lens can draw air and dust in when the lens is zoomed. The lens is at full open apeture when you view through the finder. It's possible you've been shooting at apertures that make the dust speck less noticable. It sure sounds like it's in the camera though.