Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2009, 04:20 AM   #1

Error in K200d image file naming

I recently purchased a K200d (with 18-50mm and 50-200mm kit lenses) and have enjoyed both starting to learn to use it and the quality of photos (mostly!) produced.

However, I would like some advice re image naming: when first used (up to about 200 images), images had names of the form IMGP0122. Without any alteration to settings per menu, subsequent image names have taken the form _IGP0637.
The number part is consistent with actual numbers of images recorded.
I have tried reformatting the SD card (Sandisk 4Gb Extreme III) and also resetting to 'factory defaults' for camera settings, but the image naming error persists.

Has any one else encountered this problem? If so, were you able to correct it (and how?). More particularly, should I be concerned enough to send the camera in for inspection....?

Any helpful advice will be gratefully accepted.

01-27-2009, 04:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jonpitt Quote
I recently purchased a K200d (with 18-50mm and 50-200mm kit lenses) and have enjoyed both starting to learn to use it and the quality of photos (mostly!) produced.
Welcome to the club!

However, I would like some advice re image naming: when first used (up to about 200 images), images had names of the form IMGP0122. Without any alteration to settings per menu, subsequent image names have taken the form _IGP0637.
The number part is consistent with actual numbers of images recorded.
I have tried reformatting the SD card (Sandisk 4Gb Extreme III) and also resetting to 'factory defaults' for camera settings, but the image naming error persists.
This has nothing to do with the card. I suspect you've changed the Colour space.
Page 155 of the manual has the answer:
  • sRGB files have the format IMGPxxxx.JPG (or .PEF or .DNG)
  • AdobeRGB files have the format _IGPxxxx.JPG

Has any one else encountered this problem? If so, were you able to correct it (and how?). More particularly, should I be concerned enough to send the camera in for inspection....?
Not a problem at all - just choose your colour space. Your camera is fine!

There is a bit of discussion about as to which is better (or worse). Its suggested that sRGB is better for web output, whilst AdobeRGB is better for printing with a wide colour space.

Hope that helps.....
01-27-2009, 09:39 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks! - that will be what caused the change... didn't even think of changing the colour space. Obviously I need to read the manual very carefully (perhaps Pentax could add a few more 'cross-reference' comments in the manual?).
Much obliged for your quick, concise response.
01-27-2009, 10:03 PM   #4

Thank you MoiVous! I am always glad to learn something like this. Something a bit obscure but easily rectified.

04-06-2009, 09:22 AM   #5

Thanks! - that will be what caused the change... didn't even think of changing the colour space. Obviously I need to read the manual very carefully (perhaps Pentax could add a few more 'cross-reference' comments in the manual?).
Much obliged for your quick, concise response.
Ha, thats been drivin' me nuts for the last 3 months.. never saw the part about adding the underscore..
04-06-2009, 09:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MoiVous Quote
This has nothing to do with the card. I suspect you've changed the Colour space.
Same thing happened to me - it had me scratching my head for a couple of days as I changed a bunch of settings all at once (including color space). Finally spotted the reason in the manual when I wasn't looking for it...
04-08-2009, 10:37 AM   #7
Inactive Account

I was just going to ask that same question. . . :-)