Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2009, 04:53 PM   #166
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Marc,

Thanks for the clarification on the buffer issue. Appreciate it.

I know I'm being a whiny little girl about this whole thing, but for some reason I can't help myself. I'm just concerned about the quality of the autofocus, especially when I read posts and other information stating the significant problems the Pentax has with action and with low-light.

I think my problem is that those are both subjective terms to me. Low light to me would be in a high school gym during a basketball game or at a lightly-lit gym or rec center.

I would use manual focus for other types of photography, but for action I want something that can lock on the majority of the time. I say majority because even the Rebel I shot didn't get the focus 100% of the time.

The company I bought the camera from does allow returns and refunds the full amount minus any shipping or handling. Unfortunately, I can't test the camera out first, and then return it for a smaller amount or anything if I think it's absolutely horrible.

In any case, thanks again, the majority of the people here have been very helpful. I'm just such an indecisive sod.

And, yeah, this thread has ran its course and then some. So I won't take offense if it gets locked or if there are no more people posting to it, etc.

I can see where Rice High's blog might annoy some people, but I don't have a problem with it. From my view, it looks like he has been very impressed with Pentax manuals, but thinks the company has made some blunders in the transition to DSLR. Obviously, he doesn't think they're complete crap because he owns at least one DSLR, and it looks like he's done his research on his problems with the brand.

02-13-2009, 05:11 PM   #167
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
That doesn't make it right or correct. Anyhow the argument for or against is rather moot. Often people believe what they want, regardless of the facts.

But I am curious, rather then making blanket statements about Ricehigh, are you able to quote an example where Ricehigh where blatantly lied or mislead? That is what the 'hate' is about, isn't it? Just trying to understand the rampant animosity toward the blog.
I would say it does make it right if MANY people agree with me. You just need to read his posts here, the VAST majority of them are negative. Not just 50/50, but almost ALL. If you want to read his drivel, go for it.
02-13-2009, 06:10 PM   #168
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
I would say it does make it right if MANY people agree with me. You just need to read his posts here, the VAST majority of them are negative. Not just 50/50, but almost ALL. If you want to read his drivel, go for it.
Not only that,
RH's has one old dSLR and yet reviews the K10d, K200d, K20d, K-m etc like he has shooting experience with them. Many of his lens reviews involve hacking a Pentax lens to a EOS or some such thing so I'd say his blog is VERY misleading. 5-10 minutes at a shop counter handling the unit doesn't count for much.
02-13-2009, 07:50 PM   #169
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
The Canon 70-300 loses out to the Pentax 55-300;

Dylan
The Canon EF 70-300 IS USM kicks the Pentax's butt in every way!!! Plus the EF is a full frame lens which means in a few years when they faze out cropped sensor bodies, you can still be able to use EF lenses. You SOL with Pentax DA glass.

02-13-2009, 08:01 PM   #170
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
My friend using the Canon 85 f1.8 USM is always struggling with his lens keeping the shutter speed below 1/125 whereas I have no issues dragging the shutter down to 1/60 with my 77mm ltd; that's the advantage of in-body stablization and I am not saying the 85mm lens is bad.
1/40 hand held XTi and 50mm 1.8 mkI, tell your friend to lay off the caffein.

02-13-2009, 08:06 PM   #171
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Edward B. Quote
Marc,

Thanks for the clarification on the buffer issue. Appreciate it.

I know I'm being a whiny little girl about this whole thing, but for some reason I can't help myself. I'm just concerned about the quality of the autofocus, especially when I read posts and other information stating the significant problems the Pentax has with action and with low-light.
Fast auto focus, high FPS and a large buffer is like having 4 wheel drive, you may not need it today, but when you do need it, it's nice to know you have it.
02-13-2009, 08:40 PM   #172
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Canon XSi is at discussion here. I used Canon for years. I now use Pentax because I can have PRIME lenses for a fraction of the cost of one Canon EF-S zoom lens that has half the light passing through it. Add to that what it costs to purchase something like a 400 with IS and well I can buy every thing a Pentax user could dream of for less money. YOU must defend your choice for if you don't you have to ask yourself, WHY am I throwing away all this money???? Also, if you are a Good Canon owner then you NEED to get down to the store and get a better camera than that OLD XTi
02-13-2009, 08:55 PM   #173
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry to the OP But I'm temporarily closing this thread. I need to have a discussion with Adam.

Closed Thread