Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Do you think Pentax USA need a new president?
Yes.   The results are hidden0%
No.   The results are hidden0%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2009, 11:23 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vitalsax Quote
. . . btw why he's only post over dp forums?

In the Leica Talk forum no less.

01-28-2009, 12:22 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Why are the poll results hidden? I didn't know vB allowed that...

Since we're all having a good time reading between the lines and making hypotheses, here's one.

Riddle me this: Did Ned's first blog post seem like "I just opened my B&H box...look what's in it! I'm so exited"?

Think about it...

Think about it...

Now...his second blog entry: Consider his words very carefully. There are some mystical sentences that could mean anything. Hmmmm?

My random conclusion to this madness, if we're still making our own destinies for a company we don't own: He knew what he was doing, and did it for a reason.
01-28-2009, 03:35 AM   #18
Banned

No.

because this is an utterly idiotic reason to get rid of him. some of you people baffle me with your ridiculousness.
01-28-2009, 04:20 AM   #19
Veteran Member

1. Since I don't hold stock in the company he is under no obligation to please me with his performance and my opinion one way or the other is utterly meaningless.

2. I'd find it odd if he didn't have some cameras from other makers.

01-28-2009, 07:55 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vitalsax Quote
u'll never see a nikon president nor canon posting things like this, wanna know why? bcuz they're gonna be fired if they do seems like pentax is lacking professionalism even from the top. This guy is a good guy but sucks as a photographer and i don't see him keeping his job for so long. btw why he's only post over dp forums?
what is your job?
01-28-2009, 10:29 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
what is your job?
On a related and equally as inane thread, I posed a similar question. It would be interesting to see the resumes of some of the more vocal complainers, especially those who discuss marketing, executive behavior, etc. I have this vision of some pimply faced 15 year old prattling on about how a regional president should conduct themselves...
01-28-2009, 10:36 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Nostatic,

There is NOTHING stopping you and Gooshin from listing your Occupation or career on your profile. Several of us did that a long time ago.

Ned Bunnell is the EF Hutton of Pentax in the U.S. When Ned Bunnell speaks Pentaxians listen.

01-28-2009, 10:41 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Ned Bunnell is the EF Hutton of Pentax in the U.S. When Ned Bunnell speaks Pentaxians listen.
I'm old enough to remember the slogan and get the reference, but since EF Hutton later died of poor business practices perhaps it is not the most felicitous comparison.
01-28-2009, 10:48 AM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I'm old enough to remember the slogan and get the reference, but since EF Hutton later died of poor business practices perhaps it is not the most felicitous comparison.
I guess we will have to see how history pans out.
01-28-2009, 11:09 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Nostatic,

There is NOTHING stopping you and Gooshin from listing your Occupation or career on your profile. Several of us did that a long time ago.

done and done. Plus my full cv is pretty easy to find online
01-28-2009, 11:29 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
On a related and equally as inane thread, I posed a similar question. It would be interesting to see the resumes of some of the more vocal complainers, especially those who discuss marketing, executive behavior, etc. I have this vision of some pimply faced 15 year old prattling on about how a regional president should conduct themselves...
Well, here is the resume of this vocal complainer:

I hired into GM in 1968. Over the course of my employment, I became a Die Maker, ran a local apprentice committee, served as an elected union official, and was put on staff of the UAW as an International Representative dealing first in education and later in health care. I am on a first name basis with both Ron Gettelfinger (UAW President), Troy Clarke (GM VP). In my 'spare time' I also sit on the board of directors for a Federal Credit Union, spending 7 years as Chairman.

During that time, I never thought of buying a competitor's vehicle, foreign or domestic. The reason is quite simple, since GM paid my wages, I bought their products. Even now in retirement, I am still brand loyal because a percentage of my purchase helps fund my pension. In my mind, buying, supporting or endorsing a competitor's product is biting the hand that feeds you. It's something called 'Loyalty', a trait that seems to be a missing commodity today.

So in summation, I am no pimple faced 15 year old.
01-28-2009, 11:46 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Well, here is the resume of this vocal complainer:

I hired into GM in 1968. Over the course of my employment, I became a Die Maker, ran a local apprentice committee, served as an elected union official, and was put on staff of the UAW as an International Representative dealing first in education and later in health care. I am on a first name basis with both Ron Gettelfinger (UAW President), Troy Clarke (GM VP). In my 'spare time' I also sit on the board of directors for a Federal Credit Union, spending 7 years as Chairman.

During that time, I never thought of buying a competitor's vehicle, foreign or domestic. The reason is quite simple, since GM paid my wages, I bought their products. Even now in retirement, I am still brand loyal because a percentage of my purchase helps fund my pension. In my mind, buying, supporting or endorsing a competitor's product is biting the hand that feeds you. It's something called 'Loyalty', a trait that seems to be a missing commodity today.

So in summation, I am no pimple faced 15 year old.
True enough. And given your background, I can understand your comments. I was an IBEW member for a few years way back when. Being a "union person", things like brand loyalty above all else are part of the culture. Of course there are those that argue that some aspects of union culture and practice led to the downfall of the US auto industry but that is a whole 'nother discussion.

I can understand the concern with his comments, but don't see things quite as black and white as some here. And the auto analogy as presented by some is flawed. I much prefer the Ford Truck/Porsche analogy, as there is NO equivalent to the DLux4 in the Pentax lineup.

I am loyal to my family and my friends. I am loyal to my employer to the extent that is appropriate. But they do not own me. I am not part of the "company store." There is a difference between loyalty and blindly following the company line. Each has to determine where that difference lies. Luckily I'm in an industry where that isn't much of an issue...
01-28-2009, 11:54 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And now Leica fans will be listenening too - not a bad crowd to market to, actually. I see mostly good things coming from this.
01-28-2009, 01:05 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryM Quote
And now Leica fans will be listenening too - not a bad crowd to market to, actually. I see mostly good things coming from this.
Eh, for all we know Leica and Pentax are about to become affiliated or something, ...Leica's really been struggling with the digital age a lot, and it seems they've backed away from all the Four Thirds related stuff.

If you think about it, it seems the full-sized Four Thirds isn't going anywhere for anyone except maybe Olympus, ... not for Leica and Panasonic, anyway, the Micro Four Thirds isn't an 'open standard,' and it seems Leica's going its own way, DSLRwise, with a suspiciously 6x7ish-looking bigger-than FF looking unit which costs more than almost anyone could afford, and whose tech must have cost a bailout to develop. And, I dunno what to make of this, but it seems the Leica name's been coming off a lot of Lumix lenses.

I mean, all speculative, for the most part, but I could see some interests and designs and markets aligning somewhere along the lines of Hoya bailing out Leica and Leica and maybe Lumix, in turn, (or maybe Leica would get some of the compact camera designs in a divorce while Lumix heads over to the Micro Four Thirds camp with that G1) ...while cooperating with Pentax.

Leica SLR people could get Leitax conversions done of their legacy R-series glass, if Leica made a K-mount conventional DSLR of their own, too, so those rich guys could be happy for the first time in a long time.

I dunno, just seems that if there *was* a whole lot to this one guy saying, "Hey, I got a D-lux..." Well, it *could* be all part of some elaborate corporate reshuffling... So very hush-hush (Or so it seems to me, nary a peep of a teaser from Pentax, ) ...precisely because it's so complicated. Which would mean complicated legalities and probably marketing timing.

Maybe to try and steal the show at the next big trade show. That's my pronoid conspiracy theory for the day.
01-28-2009, 01:46 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Nostatic,

i never have, nor would i want to, hold a position where i steer a corporation that employ's thousands.

i am a simple bookkeeper in a small firm, although i do have access to the entirety of my companies financial ability, including writing the paychecks of others, so while a tiny position on paper, i get to see clearly how a small company functions

in addition i have held/hold extracurricular roles where i am responsible for a small group of people. Making decisions as a committee that would then reflect on a larger populace

however i lay no claim to fame, that is why i try to sit out such threads, but i cannot sit back and let the OP write such blatant bullshit, that no one would write had they ever seriously been given power to the extent that one such as Ned possesses.

i have long learned that when it comes to large corporations, the ends justify the means. Its January 2009, wait another 11 months then start shit. Rome wasnt built in a day.

this is why Bush roasting is accepted, its been 8 years and we all see the result.

and why Obama roasting is not accepted, the man probably hasn't changed his underwear yet.

and as far as Ned and Pentax is concerned, they are moving along, not at the pace that one would like, but the bottom line is that i have a pentax camera, and so do all of you (i hope), so three cheers for that, atleast.