Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Do you think Pentax USA need a new president?
Yes.   The results are hidden0%
No.   The results are hidden0%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2009, 01:49 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yeah, what if an M8 user wants a proper SLR with its full selection of lenses plus adaptable lenses from other companies?

What does the head of Leica use for 200mm+ for example?

01-28-2009, 02:39 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
Yeah, what if an M8 user wants a proper SLR with its full selection of lenses plus adaptable lenses from other companies?

What does the head of Leica use for 200mm+ for example?
He uses a Summicron 90mm and hires someone to move the world closer to him
01-28-2009, 03:00 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
He uses a Summicron 90mm and hires someone to move the world closer to him
hahahahaha

Could that certain person be named "Ken"?
01-28-2009, 03:07 PM   #34
Banned

QuoteQuote:
During that time, I never thought of buying a competitor's vehicle, foreign or domestic. The reason is quite simple, since GM paid my wages, I bought their products.
I am a union worker myself (though not UAW) my father was UA(erospace)W. anyway I can understand what you are saying but I do not agree. the only loyalty you are expected to have to the company you work for (in general terms) is the loyalty that may come with being an employee. they pay your wages because you work for them, they don't pay your wages for you to buy their and only their products. its certainly your choice, but you earned your wages through work and as far as I am concerned you owe them nothing outside of that. just as well as they owe you nothing other than what you are suppossed to get for that work.

01-28-2009, 03:15 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
and as far as Ned and Pentax is concerned, they are moving along, not at the pace that one would like, but the bottom line is that i have a pentax camera, and so do all of you (i hope), so three cheers for that, atleast.
Very good points, Gooshin. I mean, hey. I just *got* here, and this was, effectively, 'voting with my feet.' And here I am, with some Pentax. Maybe, therefore, I am less inclined to bite my nails and wonder where the company might decide to 'drag' me, cause, really, I bought in *because* for the past year or so, I've been able to make a guess where these guys are going, and I'm comfortable with that.

I saw the K10d, I was like, 'That's a niceness, but I'm skeptical where things might go from there,' then I saw the K20d and was like, 'Aha, now we have maybe an idea of a vector, here, this'll do for now, at least.'

I'm not even really the 'target market' of a lot of the outoorsey advertising, but much of what I like in a camera aligns well withs stuff made for such purposes. Great.

It seems that on a lot of the boards there's some terror that Pentax won't improve the AF speed, or high-ISO or whatever. This kin of stuff is like anything computer, some engineer's going to improve it, and just hope they don't take away or mess up anything important in the process.

Fact is, if I need higher performance in certain regards, and Pentax isn't making it, well, you know, I'm probably being paid for such a necessity, which is better than I was getting out of digital anything before someone came out with a camera I could afford that isn't a computer open to the weather.

If I need more than they got, and I can buy it, I'll be like, 'Hey, thanks, Pentax, it's been fun.'

Not a thing to stress about.

Fact is, there's nothing wrong, to me, with the 'direction the company is going,' (I just chose to align my very little bit of fortune with this, after all, in hopes of at least making a self-sustaining sideline) ....so we're good, as long as they keep making the stuff I need. This does actually involve doing some business, of course, but who cares how *big* the company gets compared to some other? Canon got real big, next thing I know they're telling *me* what I want, instead of the other way around, all too often.

Never did get around to buying any EOS stuff. Some of it, I would have, if I could have, but here we are.

Anyway, see above 'pronoid conspiracy theory of mine' about what, if anything, a dude buying a Digilux and daring say he did so might possibly mean.

As for what 200+mm lens the CEO of Leica might put on an M8, here's hoping he knows better than to buy a rangefinder for long tele work.
01-28-2009, 03:21 PM   #36
Veteran Member

What anyone does with their private life is of no business to nobody, but if acting as a representative or introducing yourself as a high rank executive from whatever company and at the same time you demostrate lack of loyalty, then the issue is completely different.

I remember many years ago when I worked for a large auto delership, and this company was into auto racing too. We (the company) hired a professional driver (factory sponsored by Nissan and Yokohama Tires) for certain competition.

Our company dealed with Nissan (in fact, the race car was a Nissan) but we also dealed with Kumho Tires. At first, the car was not only decorated with Nissan stuff (and dealership logos and such) but also with Kumho Tires stuff.

This guy when he first saw the car, he inmediately said that he could not drive that car with Kumho decals on. He made his point as being a factory sponsored driver and his "public image" could not be associated with any other brand of tires besides Yokohama. This guy also explained that whatever he did in his personal life was of no concern to Nissan or to Yokohama, and if fact, he drove a Chevy truck with Bridgestone tires, back home in Phoenix, Arizona.

Point taken, the Kumho decals were removed.... and back to our concerns, whatever Ned Bunnel makes privately, is his own business, but to publicly say who he is (curriculum) and at the same time, do something that favors the competition, is a no no... anywhere in this world.

Think about this: How about the President of General Motors openly says (in press or even a blog) that he just purchased a Mercedes.... We all know no GM car is up to Mercedes standards but what people understands is that the very top GM executive openly admits it.

Their are certain times like this, that I would love Donald Trump say his favorite sentence.... Is Donald Trump a Hoya shareholder?
01-28-2009, 03:24 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
hahahahaha

Could that certain person be named "Ken"?
Hey, you know, Mr. Rockwell there isn't someone I always agree with, but just by virtue of making himself unquotable-anymore by all those 'Film is Dead' ghouls, he can have all the Leica he wants.

01-28-2009, 03:32 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rburgoss Quote

Think about this: How about the President of General Motors openly says (in press or even a blog) that he just purchased a Mercedes.... We all know no GM car is up to Mercedes standards but what people understands is that the very top GM executive openly admits it.

Their are certain times like this, that I would love Donald Trump say his favorite sentence.... Is Donald Trump a Hoya shareholder?
Does Donald Trump give a crap about the people who buy the things he makes money off of?

As car analogies go, I think what you're asking him to do is more along the lines of, "I represent a company that makes sport sedans and commuter subcompacts. To show my brand loyalty, I will take both of these things off-road and claim they are the best things for the purpose. That'll show 'corporate loyalty' meaning my 'company' is 'superior' in all respects so 'everyone' should buy according to my brand..."

That make sense to you?

You know, I guess what I'm trying to say is, there's a difference between *loyalty* and *jealousy.* One is earned, the other doesn't improve either one's photography or related products.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 01-28-2009 at 03:39 PM.
01-28-2009, 09:22 PM   #39
Inactive Account

Bunnell is a presedent for CHANGE!!!!

I take no real issue with Bunnell's purchase of a Leica. Now, the Japanese at Pentax could be a completely different response. I have dealt with a very similar situation in a completely defferent industry. A Japanese made product being marketed in the USA under Japanese control. How Bunnell should have handled wanting a Leica D Lux 4 is as follows. Put two on his expense account expensed to account for competitive marketing evaluation and product development. Take them to Tokyo with him, handone to Ichiro the tech guru in product development and said the following " This thing is loaded with features and amenities I believe would garner us the undying allegience of several million cash spending mid-thirties types. " Ichiro and a crowd from product development, engineering, legal and otherwise would have poured over the Leica, possibly disecting it and over the course of several dozen meetings, several flights to Japan and the establishment of the vaunted " RoadMap" market development and production timeline, Bunnell could have had the Leica with a Pentax logo in his hands. Oh, and a Leica to use in the meantime. Silence is Golden in Golden.
01-28-2009, 09:32 PM   #40
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 71Matador250 Quote
I take no real issue with Bunnell's purchase of a Leica. Now, the Japanese at Pentax could be a completely different response. I have dealt with a very similar situation in a completely defferent industry. A Japanese made product being marketed in the USA under Japanese control. How Bunnell should have handled wanting a Leica D Lux 4 is as follows. Put two on his expense account expensed to account for competitive marketing evaluation and product development. Take them to Tokyo with him, handone to Ichiro the tech guru in product development and said the following " This thing is loaded with features and amenities I believe would garner us the undying allegience of several million cash spending mid-thirties types. " Ichiro and a crowd from product development, engineering, legal and otherwise would have poured over the Leica, possibly disecting it and over the course of several dozen meetings, several flights to Japan and the establishment of the vaunted " RoadMap" market development and production timeline, Bunnell could have had the Leica with a Pentax logo in his hands. Oh, and a Leica to use in the meantime. Silence is Golden in Golden.
That is a very good perspective and have wondered if that isn't actually what is going on.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Does Donald Trump give a crap about the people who buy the things he makes money off of?
. . .
Donald Trump has bankrupted several companies. He inherited his father's fortune which is what saved him.
01-29-2009, 12:56 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
That is a very good perspective and have wondered if that isn't actually what is going on.
I will second that.

Ned said calm Lake Pentax was going to be shaken...roughly paraphrased. In good ol' Pentax fashion...we'll have no idea what the hell's going to happen til we see something in the flesh
01-30-2009, 01:13 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vitalsax Quote
Do you think Pentax USA need a new president?

Oh, come on. Ned Bunnell spends eight hours a day, five days a week, promoting Pentax products. It's his job, but not his sole purpose in life. At the same time, he certainly owns at least one or two Pentax cameras, with obvious access to others. Thus, why would anyone be at all upset over him also buying a Leica camera, and actually mentioning that fact? I also have one or two cameras other than Pentax. Are you going to get upset at me as well?

By the way, why post a poll and then hide the results?

stewart

-

Last edited by stewart_photo; 01-30-2009 at 01:18 AM.
01-30-2009, 01:47 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vitalsax Quote
u'll never see a nikon president nor canon posting things like this, wanna know why? bcuz they're gonna be fired if they do (snip)

That's only because, unlike Ned Bunnell at Pentax America, you'll never see the senior personnel at either Canon America or Nikon America personally posting anything on the internet to directly interact with the Canon or Nikon customer base.

QuoteQuote:
(snip) btw why he's only post over dp forums?

Goodness! You are indeed trying hard to stir people up against Ned Bunnell, even to the point of trying to play this forum against another.

stewart
01-30-2009, 03:21 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
this is why Bush roasting is accepted, its been 8 years and we all see the result.

and why Obama roasting is not accepted, the man probably hasn't changed his underwear yet.
Firmly agree in the first case re GB - put him on a spit and turn it slowly I say - but hope you are wrong in the second. When BO he saw the actual size of the US deficit he probably cr*pped himself
01-30-2009, 07:40 AM   #45
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
. . . When BO he saw the actual size of the US deficit he probably cr*pped himself
And he is proceeding to at least triple it per year in the first year alone.