Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2006, 04:23 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Not a big fan of simple histograms

Personal rant ahead!

Has anyone noticed that the histogram in the K100D is not really a composite, but is just the green channel? (like many other cameras)

Unless a camera's histogram is truly RGB, I found that worrying about trying to center up my histogram when it is only the green channel just distracts me - not to mention that it won't show when saturated reds / blues go into blowout conditions.

Makes me wonder about the K10's histogram. I guess I'll have to read up.

* soapbox mode off *

10-22-2006, 06:42 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BlueSky Quote
Has anyone noticed that the histogram in the K100D is not really a composite, but is just the green channel? (like many other cameras)
Really? Maybe I'm thick, but how do you tell? Other than noticing that what seemed fine in the instant review histo turns out to have blown channels. That might explain why I sometimes get the red channel blown - if one's going to go, that's the one. Hm. I'm curious if anyone has more info on this, thanks for bringing it up. And by the way, that was a pretty mild rant!

Julie
10-22-2006, 08:56 AM   #3
Inactive Account

If you try to have your grey channel to the right then you can easily blow the reds. When I see grey histogram to extreme right, I take a second shot, underexposed by 1 stop. This usually solves the problem.
K10D has an option for previewing all four chanels and that's great
10-22-2006, 08:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BlueSky Quote
Personal rant ahead!

Unless a camera's histogram is truly RGB, I found that worrying about trying to center up my histogram when it is only the green channel just distracts me - not to mention that it won't show when saturated reds / blues go into blowout conditions.

Makes me wonder about the K10's histogram. I guess I'll have to read up.

* soapbox mode off *
Just use a cc40m filter and a custom WB when shooting natural light or flash. Then red=g=b in the multipliers
Histogram will have much more meaning and be more accurate..

10-22-2006, 11:59 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Initially I was curious about why my camera's histogram didn't match up for the most part to what the histogram in the image editor was showing me.

The default in Gimp at least is to show a composite RGB histogram - so I changed the histogram mode in the editor to show only one channel and voila - only the green channel matched the camera's histogram - not exactly but it was the closest.

I guess this is because the green channel contains the most luminance info? Need help on this one, since I'm sure I've got it wrong..

Maybe I should just try and work with the histogram some more and find my comfort zone.

** EDITED UPDATE **
I was pointed to read some threads in another, erm, forum, and they said that the Pentax histogram is truly rgb. Ok, off for more experimenting. If this is so, I'll easily eat my hat in cyberspace.

Last edited by BlueSky; 10-23-2006 at 02:17 AM. Reason: New material
10-24-2006, 03:36 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Erm, time to eat my hat like I promised.

The Pentax K100D histogram rocks once I tried Photoshop Elements 5 and looked at the *luminance channel* - great match to the camera. New thread started so nobody misses my lunch...